front brake pad metal tabs

Started by wotugonado, February 9, 2013, 21:29

wotugonado

On the front pads, does it matter which way round they go i.e metal tab(on one pad only) facing outward or not ?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Andys-N20

Logically I would say that the tab should be on the outside so you can see when the pad is wearing out. But I am pretty sure it go's on the inside on the front and on the outside on the back.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

wotugonado

Well i thought it should be on the outside too, but they are on the inside on mine, so thats ok then.

normanh

I think you will find they only fit the front face of the disc from memory as theres little or no clearance to get the caliper back of if they at the back. I struggle once simple because I picked up the wrong pad after laying then out. took me ages to figure out what I had done.

norman

wotugonado

oh crap im confused now then, mine are fitted inside, i just need a definite answer as to which way they should be.

locobuilder brian

If its the small clip attached to the pad you are refering to ?
The pad should be fitted with the clip to the bottom with the end facing the disc.
Its provides an audible indication the pads are almost worn out when it touchs the disc.
If its the stainless steel clips the pads slide in the little tab on you are refering to ? the ends face outwards.
Just looked it up in manual but its not a great drawing!
Regards Bri e

wotugonado

Yeah the metal tab attached to the pad, i've just tried and the front tabbed pad needs to go on the piston side of the caliper, it doesn't fit on the outside face due to the tab fouling on the carrier. That's an hour of my life I'm not getting back finding that out   s:? :? s:?

Tags: