17" wheels

Started by Tyrechief, February 25, 2013, 21:41

Tyrechief

Has any one changed from standard 15" set up to 17s and how does it affect handling. Or even 18s???advice please.

Anonymous

Tons of info on here about it, have a look through the threads.
 l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9911 l

dj2k21

18's all round on mine. Handles completely fine however I have extensive suspension and body mods
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

StuC

I have 17's on mine with no problems on stock suspension.
If you do order new ones make sure you get the right size tyres front and back.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tyrechief

Cheers all. Have stock suspension so thinking 205/40/17 all round. Thought 18s might fill arch a bit better though.

StuC

Have a read up on 'stagger' before you order.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Tyrechief

Maybe 215/35/18?.

Tyrechief

No will look at it.

Patch

I've got 17's all round - and my '2 is lowered.  I can't imagine fitting 18's in there, though...

onion86

Quote from: "Patch"I've got 17's all round - and my '2 is lowered.  I can't imagine fitting 18's in there, though...
Definitely need a kit for 18s (like dj)

I take it your car is lowered? If not then you're definitely looking in rollerskate territory  s:? :? s:?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dj2k21

Yeah lowering is a must on big wheels like. Im lowered I think 70mm on the 18's however without the kit 17's would be my max probs actually have gone with 16" facelift rears all round actually woth stagger ofcourse
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Patch

Quote from: "Stu"
Quote from: "Patch"Patch wrote:
I've got 17's all round - and my '2 is lowered. I can't imagine fitting 18's in there, though...
Definitely need a kit for 18s (like dj)

I take it your car is lowered? If not then you're definitely looking in rollerskate territory

Hell yes it's lowered!    s8) 8) s8)  

Makes a world of difference to the appearance.  I love the combination of big wheels on a lowered car...

onion86

Quote from: "Patch"
Quote from: "onion86"I take it your car is lowered? If not then you're definitely looking in rollerskate territory
Hell yes it's lowered!    s8) 8) s8)  

Makes a world of difference to the appearance.  I love the combination of big wheels on a lowered car...
I was pointing that question at the OP, I know yours is lowered  s:P :P s:P
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Patch

I did wonder why you asked...    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

To the Op, getting into the detail of the question. A lot has been said about the look of the car with 17s, and some look great, but with a stock-ish engine setup, you might prefer to stick with stock wheels. The 2 can feel more nimble with stock wheels than some 17s. I have had the odd occasion when I felt that. I ran a set of the SP12s in 17 and they weren't bad at all, but that car was heavily modified and when I moved to a car with stock facelift wheels just after, the feel of the thing was really pleasant to drive and communicated well.
Certainly, if looks are purely what you are after, then 17s will do the job, but to get a good feel at the same time, you need to choose the wheel specs wisely, certainly avoiding the heavier budget options. Wheel arch liners may need a bit of modifying to avoid rubbing in some cases, but that's no biggie.  s;) ;) s;)
Be interested to see what you go for.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tyrechief

Looking at lowering by 30mm handles nice now but wheels look a bit lost in the arches. Had a word with wheelworx Mansfield who,I do a bit with. They say they do loads of 205/40/17 upgrades all round with no problems.

nathanMR2

Quote from: "StuC"Have a read up on 'stagger' before you order.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

It really isn't recommended to have the same size tyre all the way around on a rear wheel drive car. The above comments recommend reading up on tyre stagger to learn more. I get the impression a lot of tyre fitters/places will just sell you a set of tyres without giving/knowing about proper advise to do with tyre stagger

Put the words tyre stagger into the search and you'll find a wealth of info about the subject. It's then your call if you decide to take that advise or run the risk of running the same tyres all the way around
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

StuC

Indeed there is another member posting tonight with 205's all round and looking change them!!

tomaky

As much as i advise the tyre stagger at this point i would wait till the tyres are depleted then change, just be sure to take care  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Tyrechief

Right sod it. Got some lowering springs and bought some team dynamics 17 inch. Going with 225/35/17 rear 205/40/17 front. Also fitting a breast plate so will see how it handles.

StuC

Glad to see you are staggering your tyres.  :-) :-) :-)

s12vea

Good choice! You will notice a big difference
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Wabbitkilla

Get some pictures up when you're ready and let us know how it feels. S-Drive tyres by chance?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tyrechief

No sp9000 or falken not sure which one. Wheels should be here soon.yoko,s are a piggin fortune at moment. Had them on a scooby Mind you they are good

Tyrechief

Falken it is. Will fit tomorrow and try and get some pics up

Tags: