It's a wrap!

Started by Zonda_, March 19, 2013, 20:52

nathanMR2

What's hid's got to do with wrapping a car in a different colour?

If its a danger to you or anyone else it could very well be illegal and the police could inforce something about it. It's not the law to declare general modifications to an insurance company. It is the law to be insured and it is the law that this is at least third party only basis. Whether you declare the mods is up to you. The insurance company will still have an RTA interest to any third party which is all the police is likely to be interested in, unless the mod is dangerous or caused an accident.

If you don't declare stuff the insurance company has the right to refuse any of your own vehicle damage. And at worst seek recovery of any damages paid to any third parties from you directly should they want to.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

nathanMR2

It's deemed that people with modified cars are a higher risk. The fact that insurance costs to up and down is business. You really think your £1000 a year premium covers the cost of your risk, no it doesn't. If you have an accident it's likely to cost the insurance company £1000's especially if you injury someone. They don't usually make money from your actual premium but what they do with it. The premium is usually invested and money made on it. If its been a bad investment or bad year claim/weather wise your premium is likely to be affected at some point too

dj2k21

What there should be is a policy for people who would never claim aside from a non fault

For example my bmw 5 series. Its worth about £1500. If I crashed into a tree for example, didnt hit anybody else and it was my own fault etc, I would walk away and buy another car. Wouldn't dream of claiming because I dont want to make my insurance go thorough the roof. There should be some kind of policy created that only covers u to claim if u hit another car or someone hits u. If prices were more reasonable more people would declare stuff and be honest I think
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

skyinsurance

Quote from: "dj2k21"However what would u do in the case of say a car that was half silver and half blue?

If my car was half blue and half silver (*shudders at the thought) - I'd tell my insurer exactly that

Quote from: "dj2k21"The reason I was told u dont need to declare it as a colour change was because a wrap is effectively just a sticker and although I know u need to declare stickers and sign writing etc I was made to believe that a wrap could be declared in this way and not as a complete colour change.

Is there confusion that perhaps you do not need to tell the DVLA?  

Bare in mind I can only offer you the 'strictly speaking' answer. Insurers need to know about every change made to the vehicle, whether that is an optional extra, different alloy wheels, a sticker in your rear window, a turbo kit or a  vinyl wrap.  In case of a vinyl wrap - this is something your insurers most definitely need to know about.. it is a material fact and if you think about it, eg increased cost of repair, making the car stand out more to thieves/vandals, you can understand why insurers need to know.

I am not meaning to be rude to anyone or belittle anyone, but if I see some poor advice given out I'll always speak up.. it beats posting about record breaking sales months, home insurance or what my dog had for dinner   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Contact us:

TEL: 03303 331250
WEB: www.skyinsurance.co.uk
EMAIL: http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/blog/

YOU CAN ALSO SEND US A PRIVATE MESSAGE!

nathanMR2

There is cover for that which ive already mentioned 'third party only'

skyinsurance

Quote from: "nathanMR2"One insurance company may not consider it was a modification or even an insurance risk. Some others might.

If you're in any doubt contact your own insurance company and ask the question.

Agreed, 100%.  

I'd be surprised if any/many insurers do not see a wrap as a modification though, and for those who do not consider it a modification, I would very strongly advise that you get that in writing.
Contact us:

dj2k21

Quote from: "nathanMR2"There is cover for that which ive already mentioned 'third party only'

Yeah and its more than fully comp for some strange reason
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Pavett1990

Quote from: "dj2k21"
Quote from: "nathanMR2"There is cover for that which ive already mentioned 'third party only'

Yeah and its more than fully comp for some strange reason

+1

i have found it to be cheaper to go fully comp than 3rd party.. think its suffice to excess prices tho
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

skyinsurance

Not picking on you in particular but I'll go through each point

Quote from: "Pavett1990"all mods need to be declared yes. but insurers do just pump up the price and make it difficult for people to have mods.

That is really beside the point, but I will humour you.. modifications often increase risk.

Example of vinyl wrap.

2 cars parked on the street, one standard colour, one wrapped, lets say wrapped yellow or some other hideously garish colour. Which one do you think sticks out more and is most likely to be targeted by a vandal?

Quote from: "Pavett1990"and i agree with DJ that when a renewal is sent why is it always more even if no claim has been made..

Beside the point again but also that isn't the case. I work with my renewals team very closely, none of our customers are seeing price increases unless there is a change of circumstances (eg claim or conviction).  This is the same pretty much across the board at the moment I'd say.

Quote from: "Pavett1990"the prices insurers want to charge for mods.. wonder why people dont declare them? the prices are rediculous

There are insurers out there who only deal with modified cars. Try one of them.
Contact us:

skyinsurance

Quote from: "Pavett1990"+1

i have found it to be cheaper to go fully comp than 3rd party.. think its suffice to excess prices though

You can blame comparison sites for that.

A good insurer will always change less for less cover, this is certainly the case for us any way.
Contact us:

dj2k21

Ollie my dad has a mercedes sprinter thats white but half lime green as its the colours of his race bike and although the insurance are aware the dvla are not because the seem to be a little in the stonage still when it comes to colours.  Logbooks only show basically a flat colour. Would there be any confliction should a claim arise in this case? Same as my sisters old corsa.. she was once pulled over by the police because it came back her car was silver, now the official colour was spearmint silver and it did look like a greeny colour but it was as it came from the factory. There seems to be alot of conflicting information about so itbis nice to hear from the person ur paying ur money to really ie urself.

Pavett1990

i have done and it was considerably cheaper than a few insurers i know of.....

you cant sit there and say that insurance companies dont put the prices up.. they have a glourious figure that reels you in the 1st year then "automatically" renew your policy after putting it up..

you cant really say that just becasue a car is green for example its going to be a target for vandals over say a silver car.. i know if i spent X amount having my car wrapped it would be in the garage over night and on my drive through the day..

skyinsurance

Quote from: "dj2k21"Ollie my dad has a mercedes sprinter thats white but half lime green as its the colours of his race bike and although the insurance are aware the dvla are not because the seem to be a little in the stonage still when it comes to colours.  Logbooks only show basically a flat colour. Would there be any confliction should a claim arise in this case? Same as my sisters old corsa.. she was once pulled over by the police because it came back her car was silver, now the official colour was spearmint silver and it did look like a greeny colour but it was as it came from the factory. There seems to be alot of conflicting information about so itbis nice to hear from the person your paying your money to really ie urself.

Hi,

if the insurer is aware of the colour change and you have this confirmed in writing, there will be no claim issue.

Thanks
Contact us:

dj2k21

Great, well thats good then at least.

skyinsurance

Quote from: "Pavett1990"you cant sit there and say that insurance companies dont put the prices up.. they have a glourious figure that reels you in the 1st year then "automatically" renew your policy after putting it up..

I can, have and will say it again, customers of the company I work for are not currently seeing renewal increases unless there is a change of circumstances, although I'd better mention the three customers last month who's prices did go up for another reason (standard non-peformance cars insured on our car club scheme when they shouldn't have been).  

2 years ago, I would have agreed with you, renewal prices were rising, but they were rising in line with the cost of claims going up.

Quote from: "Pavett1990"you cant really say that just because a car is green for example its going to be a target for vandals over say a silver car.. i know if i spent X amount having my car wrapped it would be in the garage over night and on my drive through the day..

It was a general answer..  hopefully you understood the point I was making?
Contact us:

vinp182

I've had 2 renewal quotes this year on different cars and both of them had gone up since last year (not sky insurance)
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Pavett1990

im not saying any more.. not my arguement.. poor way to put your point across imho

skyinsurance

Quote from: "Pavett1990"I'm not saying any more.. not my arguement.. poor way to put your point across imho

I'm sorry to hear that ..  I own 4 Mr2s myself, I'd hate to see a fellow owner get caught out from taking incorrect advice on a public forum and with regards to the renewal price discussions, I call it how I see it.

Cheers

Ollie
Contact us:

AckersMR2

Quote from: "Pavett1990"I'm not saying any more.. not my arguement.. poor way to put your point across imho
Well I'll jump in and add my 2p's worth, not being one to shy away  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
It wouldn't surprise me if the law changed on wrapping soon, the law/DVLA/VOSA are pretty slow on the upkeep. Car wrapping is a relatively new craze and I personally see it as being no different to respraying a car no matter how permanent and so if you have to declare it when you respray a car then why not when you wrap it?

As for insurance renewals, I'd heard they make virtually nothing for the first year after competing for your custom and paying the comparison site and so rely on repeat renewals to make any money, I don't begrudge them that, profit isn't a dirty word and when my renewals up ill shop around go back to them to give them the opportunity to match it or get close enough that I can't be bothered to switch.

The one thing that does annoy me is the ones that sell your claim details to no win no fee lawyers and then moan that their being had over by personal injury claims! To be fair it's not just them, the police sell accident details to them too!
My only car is a Ducati 

Pavett1990

Quote from: "AckersMR2"The one thing that does annoy me is the ones that sell your claim details to no win no fee lawyers and then moan that their being had over by personal injury claims! To be fair it's not just them, the police sell accident details to them too!

+1

mrzwei

There was an insurance guy on here who explained it quite well for me some time ago. Something like, most insurance companies are owned by investment banks and basically they just want your cash flow to invest. Motorists are, in marketing jargon, 'cash cows'. The details of the actual insurance are not important in the bigger picture.
A bit like supermarkets, they buy 'long' and sell 'short' so they have masses of spare cash all of the time. Unlike my old business which had to work the other way 'round so you were always waiting for the cheque.

Feel free to disagree but it made sense at the time
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Just a note on the colour thing. I'm with flux and they don't care what colour or wrap i want on my car. They only want to know the change to keep their records up to date. Other than that there is no charge.

dj2k21

Out of curiosity,  what colour goes on the v5 and insurance of one of those flip paint cars like some honda jazz got and mini coopers

Anonymous

Quote from: "dj2k21"Out of curiosity,  what colour goes on the v5 and insurance of one of those flip paint cars like some honda jazz got and mini coopers

I would imagine the colour the car is most of the time.

Mike_V

For info, wrapping is not permanent, it can be removed at any time so it doesn't need to be disclosed to anybody.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Tags: