Gave it a good claying.

Started by Zonda_, March 29, 2013, 16:10

Zonda_

Never used a clay bar before and I was a bit worried about it, couldn't get my head round the concept of rubbing something on the bodywork which would pick up residue etc but not scratch the paint!  I bought the stuff before Christmas and the weather has only just been good enough to use it.  I washed the car thoroughly first then read the instructions on the clay kit, 3 times. Finally set to work and over one patch it sounded like I was using sandpaper   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   I wiped the liquid off expecting to see a mass of scratches only to reveal spotless bodywork and a film of black muck on the clay! I've only just washed this bugger?! I carried on and got the same result all the way round the car having to knead the clay several times as it was so filthy.  The engine cover was a particular revelation with loads of orange stuff coming off it and needing doing twice. Patched of residue that I've never been able to shift since buying the car are now gone and despite the weather changing and not being able to wax it yet it's gleaming! I'm regretting the need to sell now but rest assured, the new one will get the same treatment.

I used Meguiars Quik clay kit bought off Amazon, well worth the money.

Not very good pic but check the reflection in the drivers door!

2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

StuC

Wow, like a mirror dude. Good effort!!  :-) :-) :-)

Hood is looking good too  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

tomaky

Oh my days! Mines gunna get clayed in the summer if we get one. Top job!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

nathanMR2

Just make sure you get some protection on there as soon as possible as it will need it now
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

s12vea

Ace job!
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Pavett1990

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Just make sure you get some protection on there as soon as possible as it will need it now

+1
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Zonda_

Going to buy some wax tomorrow,  any recommendations?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

nathanMR2

Depends where your picking it up from. Personally I use collinite 915 on a dark car for good shine and protection but your unlikely to get that from your local halfords. Dodo juice purple haze is also very good.

Failing that meguiars stuff will do

Zonda_

Nearest place I can get to soon,  as in tomorrow, is Halford.

nathanMR2

I used this for a while which was alright.

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1 m  

The G3 stuff is supposed to be good but I've never used it myself

Pavett1990

my dad bought the G3 wax to clean the porsche and he said he would never buy it again and threw it out.. he uses the meguiars wash and then the meguiars wax
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Zonda_

The Meguiars stuff gets good reviews

rogue_zero

only use maguaiars too

Chilli Girl

Chilli gets Autoglm High Definition Wax twice a year and many washes in between! Her paintwork really does shine using this!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

dj2k21

Claying quarterly, detailed and sealed monthly, washed and waxed fortnightly,  windows cleaned and tyres shined weekly, instant detailing in between  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

AndyM

That looks amazing mate good job!  s:D :D s:D

I've got the Meguiars 3 step paint restoration kit here (with the clay and wax in) and hoping to do the full thing tomorrow. My '2 needs it after the salt it's picked up today in Wales!
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Anonymous

Believe it or not (I think it was three weekends ago) it was warm enough to do the three stages with Meguiars, stage one, claying with the detailer, stage two, polish then buffer, stage three, polish with the carnuba wax and buffer off again......... boy was I knackered   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chilli Girl

Yep, looks amazing, well done.  Must wash the salt off Chilli tomorrow, I 've never seen her look such a mess. Will wait another month or so until I clay her.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Zonda_

Not looking bad for a 12 year old,  hopefully will go to a good home.

simers

The car looks fab mate... I use autoglym hd wax.. It's fab stuff
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Chilli Girl

The shine is so good on yours, I can even see the reflection of a BMW in it, can't I? I need my shades on it's soooooo shiny.  s8) 8) s8)  
Brill for a 12 yr old

Zonda_

Indeed, a 530 Sport Touring,  I was shocked at the result,  the pack said a mirror finish but..

Chilli Girl

I've failed, I couldn't make out the Estate bit on the BM.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   You should've clayed abit harder!

roger

Quote from: "dj2k21"Claying quarterly,
I would suggest this is too frequent and indicative of poor in-between care. Also its expensive (see below)

Quote from: "Pavett1990"my dad bought the G3 wax to clean the porsche and he said he would never buy it again and threw it out..
Is that because you should never use wax to wash a car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Also to OP, and everybody, the only good clay is a clean clay. You really should considered binning it if you've picked up a lot of debris. Don't want it putting scratches back into your paintwork next time around.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Zonda_

The clay has been binned, just finished waxing it and I'm chuffed to bits with the results! Wax wasn't cheap at £27 but came with a neat applicator and a decent size polishing cloth.

Tags: