Rough sounding engine

Started by MR-S, April 24, 2013, 21:58

MR-S

Hi all,
Of late my engine has developed a rough kind of grinding noise at about 3k revs. It happens when the car is in gear and driving. It doesn't matter if the car is under acceleration or if i hold the accelerator at 3k revs. Oil has been changed not too long ago and levels seem ok. Once, while idling in traffic the revs started dropping, almost to the point of cut out but not quite. A slight rev and things were ok again. I'm not really sure where to start in terms of diagnosis. The car has about 122k kms on it and its well looked after. I'm wondering if the oil pump might be failing. Everything feels ok when driving ; it pulls through the gears fine so i think the clutch and gearbox are ok, but obviously something is up.

Any previous experience of this and/or pearls of wisdom?
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

tomaky

Easy thing to try reset ecu.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

MR-S

Hmmm, it sounds like more of a mechanical problem but hell, its' worth a shot.
When you say 'reset', are we talking disconnect the battery for a period of time or is there a more complex method?
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

chris3boro

Quote from: "MR-S"Hmmm, it sounds like more of a mechanical problem but hell, its' worth a shot.
When you say 'reset', are we talking disconnect the battery for a period of time or is there a more complex method?

Yep, 20/30minutes. Also clean the MAF whilst you're at it. Well worth doing either way. Search for the guide if you're unsure,5min job!

Tags: