Calipers

Started by swampy_donkey, June 23, 2013, 09:15

swampy_donkey

Hey I am going to replace a few brake pads soon and wondered if anyone had experienced painting their brake calipers. Is it hard to do? (As is tricky to paint) what paint do I need? Also what colours have people done theirs? I'm thinking red, black or silver...

Many thanks

Rob
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

dcod

Many people have done this. If the search function fails to give what you want (seeing as it's pretty useless) try using Google but put 'mr2roc' or 'mr2 roadster' in front of the search.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

tomaky

1 word: Hammerite!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

swampy_donkey

Thanks! Will Hammerite be ok with the temperatures?
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

Richard41

Halfrauds sell caliper paint designed to cope with the temps or kits are available from amazon/ebay that include cleaner etc.

Did mine about a year ago with kit, cleaned them thoroughly before painting and still look fine.

Jay67

yep smooth Hammerite stuff works fine, mine's lasted 3 years so far, faded slightly but look good still
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

loadswine

Used Hammerite a few times now, never had any problems. Did this last year, and they still look the same now and I have used the brakes hard at times as well.

No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

shnazzle

Quote from: "loadswine"Used Hammerite a few times now, never had any problems. Did this last year, and they still look the same now and I have used the brakes hard at times as well.

I'm so jealous of those arches...  s:( :( s:(
Shocks/springs look fresh, lovely calipers/discs, clean metal drop links, etc...such a fair cry from the rusty mess that is mine

ON TOPIC: 3-4 coats of hammerite smooth did the trick for me. I know there are special caliper paints and heat-proof stuff but I've never even had to try
...neutiquam erro.

AndyM

Hammerite smooth for me too, two coats on a fresh caliper and it still looks great.

If you wirebrush and degrease a rusty one you can probably do it with a single coat.

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42734#p509325 l
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

swampy_donkey

Many thanks for the help as always folks!

Two's Company

Has anyone seen any metallic orange caliper paint for sale?

steve430

iv got some green from folitec (think thats how its spelt) they do orange but not sure whether its metallic or not.

XI Thomas IX

We painted my calipers about a week ago using some high temp caliper paint from Halfrauds. Was simple to do tbf; was just a case of masking off everything and then giving it a few coats. Easy! Took us about 7 hours to do them all, but that included the rims too. Only used one can and had some spare so sprayed the rain tray as well. Here are some pics I took...

And here's the finished product...

2001 Silver MR-S TRD Wing Spoiler K & N Induction Kit Abflug Eyelids Toyo Proxes T1-Rs && Cobra Quad

Shredder

Did mine today with Hammerite blue....not the smooth, the hammered finish. Brushed it on, easy peasy..... cleaned all the inside of the wheels too. All 4 wheels & calipers in about 5 hours, event in 30 deg heat!!

Before....

After....

And the finished wheel, Im quite pleased with the results

krazysteve

Did the calipers on my son's soarer, going to redo the 2 this winter, not sure what colour to do them?
before.....

after a quick sand blast...

new pistons and seal kit from BR, used 2k caliper paint ....
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

Two's Company

Has anyone painted their calipers hammerite smooth in copper?  Any pictures?

Flipside

just finished doing them but black ,not the best pic sorry
Pleased with the results

2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

Two's Company

I bought black in the end but think the copper colour might work. Mine are currently black and decided to just match the new rear calipers to the fronts.

Flipside

Black is good, smartens them up without chaving too much.  Just my view of course.
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

swampy_donkey

The black looks half decent, nice job! Think I'm going to go silver when I get round to it.

Flipside

Thanks, I like it.

swampy_donkey

I wonder what black would look like on a silver car... I don't want something too 'in your face'

Flipside

I think that would look good

minimike

I did silver on a black  car. Looks heaps better than 'rusty grey'!!!!! Didn't want to do red, to try and be a bit different, but red does look good.......  s:D :D s:D  

Ended up doing new discs and pads at the same time too.
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

swampy_donkey

Yeah that's what I want anything other than rusty brown!

Tags: