Headlight bulb upgrades.

Started by tricky1138, June 27, 2013, 09:57

tricky1138

I've had a quick search around and can't really find the answer so I'll ask direct!

What bulb upgrades have people put on their 2 And what do you think about them?

Not bothered about HID just something like the 50% , 80% brighter ones.

Mine is a fl if that makes a difference.

Also what are the 3 bulb types that are in there?

Thanks.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

nathanMR2

I upgraded to Phillips Xremes (H7 bulbs I think) which I have been very happy with. They have been pretty good. I didn't touch the main beam bulbs as it was an additional cost for something that doesn't get used a lot. They only other ones i changed was the side light bulbs for white ultra bright bulbs.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

tricky1138

So Phillips Xtreme it is then! Lol.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Gibla

Resurrecting a very old thread (as it's getting dark out there)

Any suggestions that anyone has done in recent years? 

H7 for Fl or H4 for Pfl ?

Alternatives to Philips?
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Gibla

These are the #1 best sellers on Amazon

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, +150%

other alternatives

Bosch H7 (477) Plus 120 Gigalight headlight bulbs - 12 V 55 W PX26d

Come on folks give some feedback on YOUR headlight bulbs please, I need to avoid going off the road in deepest darkest mid- Wales

Topdownman

The OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, +150% are what I bought from amazon a year ago but dont think I have driven it in the dark since so cant help you!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MRSwede

On my FL

Low beam = Philips Vision plus
High beam = 50W HID conversion

Gibla

Quote from: MRSwede on November 19, 2021, 14:52On my FL

Low beam = Philips Vision plus
High beam = 50W HID conversion

Hiya, what sort of work was required to fit the HID High Beam bulbs(if other than just a bulb change) and can you recommend any particular brand?

MRSwede

Sin's I'm living in Sweden, not sure if the parts i used can be bought in UK.

The installation was pretty easy, just using + and - from the oem lamp holder.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

MRSwede

Sorry should be this lamp You cannot view this attachment.

SV-3

'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Joesson

Gibla

Ah well, uprated boggo standard halogen it is then :-( (Good job as already ordered 'em)

MRSwede

God thing that the Swedish MOT don't mind them in the High beam  ;D

Dev

I am very happy with my H4 LED upgraded replacements. The primary reason why they work well is because the LED chips are placed in the correct position mimicking a filament. The others do not have this kind of configuration and therefore have glare and no long distance throw like the OEM. They are brighter as good as HID and they cut down on the demands of the electrical system by being very efficient which is great if you use a small lithium battery.

If you want to do some research they are called jdm astar 8th generation  H4 led which are based on the Philips H4 LED bulb design that are more expensive. I also replaced the rear tail light bulbs to LED which are brighter and more instant on unlike the filament type.

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

puma2

Quote from: Topdownman on November 18, 2021, 18:57The OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, +150% are what I bought from amazon a year ago but dont think I have driven it in the dark since so cant help you!

i use these on my daily definitely better

TheTigerUK

Quote from: puma2 on November 20, 2021, 06:23
Quote from: Topdownman on November 18, 2021, 18:57The OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, +150% are what I bought from amazon a year ago but dont think I have driven it in the dark since so cant help you!

i use these on my daily definitely better

I was just looking at these.

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on November 19, 2021, 19:40If you want to do some research they are called jdm astar 8th generation  H4 led which are based on the Philips H4 LED bulb design that are more expensive. I also replaced the rear tail light bulbs to LED which are brighter and more instant on unlike the filament type.

Do first check MoT concerning LEDs too.
Over hére, in Spain, it is deemed a modification like the HiD.  Even for the rear. Even 6V on the Nimbus. Simply nót allowed to change the type of bulb; NOT. Only solution is the nightbreakers and those are indeed way better.

Carolyn

HID's are about the worst thing since automatic rifles.  You might be able to see, but no other bugger can!

How bright to headlights have to be before they become worthy of ASBOs?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on November 23, 2021, 20:04
Quote from: Dev on November 19, 2021, 19:40If you want to do some research they are called jdm astar 8th generation  H4 led which are based on the Philips H4 LED bulb design that are more expensive. I also replaced the rear tail light bulbs to LED which are brighter and more instant on unlike the filament type.

Over hére, in Spain, it is deemed a modification like the HiD.  Even for the rear. Even 6V on the Nimbus. Simply nót allowed to change the type of bulb; NOT. Only solution is the nightbreakers and those are indeed way better.

Absolutely. I believe the ones I have are molded after the more expensive Philips H4 except a little less bright so they are direct replacements and that might actually have passed certifications depending on where you live.

Dev

Quote from: Carolyn on November 23, 2021, 20:42HID's are about the worst thing since automatic rifles.  You might be able to see, but no other bugger can!

How bright to headlights have to be before they become worthy of ASBOs?

I agree for aftermarket HID bulbs. They do cause glare because they are not designed for non HID housings.
 They will have a short throw with no cut off that blinds oncoming vehicles. This was a big problem over a decade ago with these kits for boy racers. 
There are those that also fit them into FL cars which have the projector not made for it.

HID on cars designed for them are just fine and better in many ways because of the color temp they produce.
 HIDs are now a thing of the past as they are replaced by the jewel LED lighting you find in newer cars that almost never need replacement.

As far as automatic rifles I agree, it wastes ammo and that is why some militaries have switched to select fire.

BahnStormer

Officially not allowed LEDs: no chance in the PFL cars (reflector unit) and officially also not in the FL cars (projector), but if you can install them and get a perfect beam pattern you will be allowed.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Dev

Quote from: BahnStormer on November 24, 2021, 15:32

Officially not allowed LEDs: no chance in the PFL cars (reflector unit) and officially also not in the FL cars (projector), but if you can install them and get a perfect beam pattern you will be allowed.

If that is the caveat then the LED h4 bulbs that I have should pass or the Phillips that they are modeled after to be H4 replacements. They were designed to mimic the filament of an halogen H4 bulb so that it works with the reflector to give it the same beam pattern.

Dev

If anyone would like more information on the Philips H4 LED replacements  here is a good read. I am sure it can be purchased on your side. The electrical load on the alternator vanishes, thats how impressive this technology is.

https://www.xenondepot.com/Philips-12953BWX2-H4-LED-Bulb-Review

BahnStormer

Quote from: Dev on November 24, 2021, 19:32
Quote from: BahnStormer on November 24, 2021, 15:32

If that is the caveat then the LED h4 bulbs that I have should pass or the Phillips that they are modeled after to be H4 replacements. They were designed to mimic the filament of an halogen H4 bulb so that it works with the reflector to give it the same beam pattern.

It means that technically they would still be illegal, however from personal experience, if the beam pattern is correct and colour is close to a Hologen (ideally 4300K-5000K, 6000K absolute max), then they will most likely pass an MOT and unlikely to be stopped by the police.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Tags: