Headlight bulb upgrades.

Started by tricky1138, June 27, 2013, 09:57

Dev

Quote from: BahnStormer on November 24, 2021, 21:40
Quote from: Dev on November 24, 2021, 19:32
Quote from: BahnStormer on November 24, 2021, 15:32
Quote from: Petrus on November 23, 2021, 20:04
Quote from: Dev on November 19, 2021, 19:40If you want to do some research they are called jdm astar 8th generation  H4 led which are based on the Philips H4 LED bulb design that are more expensive. I also replaced the rear tail light bulbs to LED which are brighter and more instant on unlike the filament type.

Do first check MoT concerning LEDs too.
Over hére, in Spain, it is deemed a modification like the HiD.  Even for the rear. Even 6V on the Nimbus. Simply nót allowed to change the type of bulb; NOT. Only solution is the nightbreakers and those are indeed way better.

Officially not allowed LEDs: no chance in the PFL cars (reflector unit) and officially also not in the FL cars (projector), but if you can install them and get a perfect beam pattern you will be allowed.

If that is the caveat then the LED h4 bulbs that I have should pass or the Phillips that they are modeled after to be H4 replacements. They were designed to mimic the filament of an halogen H4 bulb so that it works with the reflector to give it the same beam pattern.

It means that technically they would still be illegal, however from personal experience, if the beam pattern is correct and colour is close to a Hologen (ideally 4300K-5000K, 6000K absolute max), then they will most likely pass an MOT and unlikely to be stopped by the police.

I did a brief search and found a member of a Mini forum that was able to pass your MOT inspection based on what you just wrote. They said the inspector commented that they were the right ones unlike almost 98% of the LED bulbs that are littered on EBay that they fail inspection.

Considering mass production of retrofits for LED bulbs this might become widely available in the near future and made legal because they will be equivalent. 
The Philips tail light bulbs that I am using are an exact bulb like replacement also. Although a little brighter its not blinding and the instant on is beneficial. When you press on the brake there is a good amount of amp surge from the power robbing standard bulbs and now its rock steady.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Dev on November 24, 2021, 21:59I did a brief search and found a member of a Mini forum that was able to pass your MOT inspection based on what you just wrote. They said the inspector commented that they were the right ones unlike almost 98% of the LED bulbs that are littered on EBay that they fail inspection.

Considering mass production of retrofits for LED bulbs this might become widely available in the near future and made legal because they will be equivalent. 

I'm not saying that these are legal, because technically they're not, but in practice you can get an MOT pass with a clean beam pattern (and a clear conscience - that you're not blinding oncoming traffic) even with the cheap LED's - it's just all about the fitment.... if the light is being generated in the wrong spot on the projector, then you will spray diffuse light everywhere.... if it fits will and the light is in the right place, you'll get a good pattern... I'm currently trying some alternatives, here are my previous attempts:
The old "big red" Novsights had a perfect beam pattern (multiple MOT passes, no advisories), but were almost impossible to fit: HERE
The £10 budget "straight swap" LED's had a perfect beam pattern, doddle to fit, but almost no light (bear in mind my hazy headlight units though): HERE
I'm currently runnign the 2019 Novsights: a good beam pattern is possible, but I suspect the LED is only JUST in the right place or adequately secured as the light keeps slipping and then I get a diffuse beam (does NOT aim the beam high, it just "loosens" it up a little, plus they're slightly too blue (6500K)... HERE

So I'm considering alternatives:
CHEAP - eBay variant on the Novsights, but the "5 years werranty[SIC]" does not fill me with confidence...
EYE WATERING (£49!) - new Novsights - claims optimal Halogen placement of light source + only 6000K colour (closer to natural white, less of the blue!).

Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

ralf321

I read a test on a german car magazin this week abt. this topic. They measured all kinds of H4 and H7 bulbs (brightness, range, equal light distribution etc.). They took a car, for which you can buy retrofit LEDs (type approved and ,,MOT legal") and fitted them as well.

The results were like this:
H4
1st Philips Ultinon Pro 9000 LED
2nd Osram night breaker 200
3rd Bosch plus 150 Gigalight
4th Bosch Ultrawhite 4200K
The LED had more than twice as much brightness compared to the second place bulb 47,9 vs 22,1 Lux)

H7
1st Osram LED Nightbreaker
2nd Bosch Plus 150 Gigalight
3rd Osram night breaker 200
4th Philips Ultinon Pro 6000 LED
The LED (1st) just had a small advantage in brightness compared the buld on 2nd place (27,4 vs 25,05 Lux)

I hope this helps. Unfortunately, they did not measure how long the bulbs held up, but you can expect a lower lifetime from the high power bulbs compared to standard ones.

The Other Stu

Quote from: ralf321 on November 28, 2021, 20:54I read a test on a german car magazin this week abt. this topic. They measured all kinds of H4 and H7 bulbs (brightness, range, equal light distribution etc.). They took a car, for which you can buy retrofit LEDs (type approved and ,,MOT legal") and fitted them as well.

The results were like this:
H4
1st Philips Ultinon Pro 9000 LED
2nd Osram night breaker 200
3rd Bosch plus 150 Gigalight
4th Bosch Ultrawhite 4200K
The LED had more than twice as much brightness compared to the second place bulb 47,9 vs 22,1 Lux)

H7
1st Osram LED Nightbreaker
2nd Bosch Plus 150 Gigalight
3rd Osram night breaker 200
4th Philips Ultinon Pro 6000 LED
The LED (1st) just had a small advantage in brightness compared the buld on 2nd place (27,4 vs 25,05 Lux)

I hope this helps. Unfortunately, they did not measure how long the bulbs held up, but you can expect a lower lifetime from the high power bulbs compared to standard ones.

Hi Ralf,

When you say MOT legal, is this UK MOT? Because it specifically says Xenon and LED bulbs are not allowed unless fitted as standard

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

I get the arguments about it being grey that with the right beam, an LED could theoretically pass if the tester knew no better.

For those talking about side lights, repeaters, rears, brake lights and so on, LED are perfectly legal. As above, I'm toying with changing my brake lights out in particular, as when my battery is low, it has a huge drain. With the previous (now dead) battery, it caused the car to almost stall!
No Longer Here

Dev

Quote from: The Other Stu on November 29, 2021, 14:20For those talking about side lights, repeaters, rears, brake lights and so on, LED are perfectly legal. As above, I'm toying with changing my brake lights out in particular, as when my battery is low, it has a huge drain. With the previous (now dead) battery, it caused the car to almost stall!

I did my side light repeaters along with the brake lights. I calculated the brake lamp amp draw from all of the bulbs and its quite a bit more than I would have thought. It does produce an immediate dip that effects other systems particularly the IAC valve before the alternator kicks up on a weakened battery. Even with a good battery you can see a slight change in rpms. When you add the LED replacement bulbs the amp draw is so small that the idle is rock solid.
 What I am saying is, its worth it even if you don't think you need it and I bet it will prolong your battery and alternator.

ralf321

MOT-legal in this case is for the German equivalent to your MOT in the UK. Here it is called HU which is short for ,,Hauptuntersuchung".
The manufactures of the LED bulbs have to perform a specific type approval for each vehicle in order to get them road legal. Of course they are doing it only for quite actual high volume cars, so for sure never for the 2.
You can find the lists on their webpages, but I don't know if this is worth anything in the UK if your vehicle is on it.
BR

https://www.osram.de/am/night-breaker-led/index.jsp
https://www.philips.de/c-e/au/autolampen/scheinwerfer/led-compatibility-list.html

The Other Stu

Quote from: ralf321 on November 29, 2021, 19:11MOT-legal in this case is for the German equivalent to your MOT in the UK. Here it is called HU which is short for ,,Hauptuntersuchung".
The manufactures of the LED bulbs have to perform a specific type approval for each vehicle in order to get them road legal. Of course they are doing it only for quite actual high volume cars, so for sure never for the 2.
You can find the lists on their webpages, but I don't know if this is worth anything in the UK if your vehicle is on it.
BR

https://www.osram.de/am/night-breaker-led/index.jsp
https://www.philips.de/c-e/au/autolampen/scheinwerfer/led-compatibility-list.html
Our laws specifically say that LED and HID are not allowed though, under any circumstances unless fitted as standard.
No Longer Here

Tags: