Quick release steering hub and boss

Started by 328, November 26, 2013, 23:19

Hi everyone,

I know this is subjective....but I would like to buy a quick release hub and boss adapter for a momo steering wheel....

I want to get a momo 350mm steering wheel as I think the 320mm may feel a little small.

Anyone fitted a quick release system recently? Any pointers? Disarming airbag etc?

Cheers,

Andy
Black 2000 MR2 MK3, Proflow quad exhaust system, K&N cool air induction kit, plasma glow dial dash, short shift gear, push button start, carbon fibre hardtop, TTE style bar, FL rear lights, dev keyhole covers, 17" inch alloys, HiD lights, decatted, GT carbon drift wing, 35mm lowering springs, c one vents, front and rear struts, facelift rear mesh, td lip bodykit

Stifler

Hey Andy,

I can't help you on the hub issue as I had mine done by a garage when I was getting some other work done, I think they had to order a separate resistor to stop the air bag light coming on.

For what it's worth I went for a momo tuner 320mm and it feels spot on for size.  If you get a chance head to a store that has both sizes in stock and spend some time handling them, you may be surprised.  The 320 isn't that much smaller than stock.  

All the best with getting it sorted out.  It was one of the best mod's I've made  s:) :) s:)

-Mark.

Edited because I can't spell!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice....actually I have fitted a quick release system to my NSX and I went for the Momo Tuner  s:) :) s:)  but it was the 350mm ( closest looking wheel tothe NSX-R if your on a budget  s:) :) s:)  ) ........There was a whole 'how to' on NSX Prime

In the MR2 the wheel is the same but as you say I may go for the slightly smaller one as it will feel better. I am unsure what options I have as I just normally follow how tos etc...  s:) :) s:) ...so just seeing if people have a specific specification for quick release hub and boss adaptor.

Does the wheel sit quite far away?

Cheers,

Andy
Black 2000 MR2 MK3, Proflow quad exhaust system, K&N cool air induction kit, plasma glow dial dash, short shift gear, push button start, carbon fibre hardtop, TTE style bar, FL rear lights, dev keyhole covers, 17" inch alloys, HiD lights, decatted, GT carbon drift wing, 35mm lowering springs, c one vents, front and rear struts, facelift rear mesh, td lip bodykit

Stifler

First off Andy, - pictures of the NSX!  I almost bought one a few years ago but got scared and played it safe and bought another Elise instead.  I kick myself now when I see how much the price of them have risen!

Getting back on topic.  I have a problem with the standard wheel being too low as well as too large.  The momo hub kit I have 'feels' like it moved the wheel a little closer but I never measured so I can't be sure sadly.  With the slightly smaller diameter wheel I just feel better in control with my hands being slightly closer together.  Years of running Elises and VX220's have just made it feel more natural to have my hands close.

The momo wheel came with full instructions as did the hub so if you are decent with a spanner it should be fairly easy  s:) :) s:)

dj2k21

I have a 320mm momo millennium on my mr2 with a splash sport boss and an nrg quick release adapter. The splash sport comes with the resistor needed. However 320mm in my wheel anyway cuts off the top of the Rev counter which is annoying and it does feel a little small. I do wish I had gone for the 350mm.  So if you want to buy one in 350mm I will gladly swap you as mines basically new anyways.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Hi Mark,

Dont know if this will work but here goes.....

Hi dj2k21......thanks for the heads up...if thats the case with the visibility I may revert to a 350mm wheel if not I will give you a shout.  s:) :) s:)  WHere did you buy the nrg quick release from?

Cheers,

Andy

Stifler

Love it!  I'm off to check pistonheads again..... and weep!  s;) ;) s;)

dj2k21

I got the nrg quick release from eBay USA . They do them anodised in a variety of colours. I got away with customs duties somehow too which was a bonus. Probably felt sorry for me the amount I paid on my engine from America lol.
Yes even with the wheel adjusted right to the top you can't see the Rev's and I have super low seats and am only average height so with stock seats and if you are over 6 ft I doubt you will see any of the Rev counter.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Thanks for the message dj2k21,

I was hoping you would say you bought the NRG quick release here in the UK. It is a good system as I have one for the NSX I bought in from the US and had to pay customs  s:( :( s:(

Do you know of any good quick release systems that can be bought in the UK? Also where did you buy the splash sport boss from? I guess this is the adapter part with the make safe airbag bit?

dj2k21

To be honest I don't mind buying stuff from America.  It will only be a few quid customs cost as there is a limit to what they can charge you.
I think I bought the splash sport from rhdjapan which again is in Japan but again I was lucky with the customs charges and yes it has the resistor required. Although resistors are penny's from maplins.  I also removed my passenger one too because I have harnesses anyway

Thanks for the advice dj2k21

dj2k21

No worries at all 328

Hi dj2k21,

managed to order an NRG short hub and NRG quick release, through a place from ebay.....they have stock in the UK......so hopefully should arrive in the next couple of days.....hopefully then we can see if they were a suitable match for the MR2  s:) :) s:)

Was alot cheaper than buying from america and also at least there shouldnt be any customs to pay.

Will possibly need to buy the resistor from maplins though  s:) :) s:)

dj2k21

Oh well at least ur sorted then pal. Should go straight on to be honest

Tags: