talk about whatever you like thread

Started by Anonymous, March 10, 2014, 15:25

Anonymous

Hi, so every time i come in this section of the forum I always see someone new asking about what head unit people can recommend - its almost as interesting as tyre options!

So i propose we all spend 3 mins to discuss what head units we use and start to rate them etc..

PLEASE NOTE: Sound quality will not be tested here - as it is kind of irrelevant with peoples different speaker set ups etc..

I will start using a template i would like to be continued in future replies:

Make/Model name:
Price:

Features / Music Devices (YES/NO):

CD/DVD
USB
SD/MICRO SD Card
IPOD
BLUETOOTH SOUND STREAMING
OTHER:

Ratings (OUT OF 10)

Build Quality
Settings Details (Customisable Eq / Sound Settings )
Ease of Use
Menu Speed (Is quite nice to use or is it laggy)
Value for Money
Looks
Fitment (Does it look right in an MR2)

Description and Review:

(ENTER YOUR REVIEW HERE, PLEASE MENTION ANY OTHER FEATURES THIS HEAD UNIT MAY HAVE THAT OTHERS DON'T)

Pro's

Con's

Anonymous

Make/Model name: Pioneer AppRadio 2
Price: When i bought it £250.. doesn't look like its for sale anymore because of 3rd edition now available.

CD/DVD      NO
USB            NO
SD/MICRO SD Card       NO
IPOD         YES
BLUETOOTH SOUND STREAMING     NO
OTHER:     Has a special feature to connect to iphones and androids wirelessly and use apps such as gps and music players.

Ratings (OUT OF 10)

Build Quality:         10/10
Settings Details (Customisable Eq / Sound Settings )    8/10
Ease of Use                9/10
Menu Speed (Is quite nice to use or is it laggy)     8/10
Value for Money         9/10
Looks         9/10
Fitment (Does it look right in an MR2)     8/10

Description and Review:

I can highly recommend this head unit to those who like to access their phone's media while in use of their MR2. With its big buttons its very easy to use the screen and the menu's don't seem at all laggy. It has never crashed on me which was a surprise  s:) :) s:) .

The one thing I must point out is the 5 band EQ is a bit disappointing if you are trying to build an SQ build in your car - you WILL need to buy a separate EQ. However after about 3 months of tinkering i have now set it up to sound AMAZING! you just gotta play with the subwoofer levels and EQ until its right.

It comes with its own GPS antenna which is useful when using your phone's sat-nav.
You can plug a reversing camera into it which will automatically come on when you put the car in reverse!  s:) :) s:)  (as long as you cut it into the reversing brake light wire).

I must admit the 7" screen is very impressive and will fit an MR2 very nicely, Ive rated it down a little on mine as it doesn't fit my custom interior perfectly (yet).

I haven't missed not having a CD player at all! Some of you might struggle to believe this - but If your planning on using an ipod in your car then you don't really need to worry about CD's anymore.

Oh it also comes with a build in bluetooth system as standard which works really well!! so you have hands free connectivity to phone calls straight away - I can highly recommend this!

Features that I never thought i would need (such as turning the screen off but letting the music continue) is something i would never think of but now i couldn't live without it!

Pro's - Speed of the menu's, big buttons make it easy to use and features you didnt think you would ever need... but when you start using them you couldnt live without.

Con's - Needed a wider band EQ for those who are SERIOUS SQ competitors

Markb

Make/Model name: Sony WX GT90BT
Price: When i bought it £129 (50% off Halfords.....think its £139 now)

CD/DVD CD only (mp3 ,wma play back)
USB yes
SD/MICRO SD Card No (but possible with usb adaptor)
IPOD YES ( full ipod and Sony walkman control via usb)
BLUETOOTH SOUND STREAMING Yes......display also shows track details etc...so far tested with Sony mp3 player,samsung phone and Blackberry Playbook tablet.
DAB no
Pre out   2 sets rca x amps......1 set rca x sub woofer
OTHER: comes with microphone for bluetooth calls,phonebook shows on display with compatible phones,comes with remote control,compatible smartphone can be used as remote.....

Ratings (OUT OF 10)

Build Quality: 10/10
Settings Details (Customisable Eq / Sound Settings ) 8/10
Ease of Use 8/10..not bad but to be fair i dont use the car daily so have not given it a good test yet.
Menu Speed (Is quite nice to use or is it laggy) 10/10
Value for Money 10/10
Looks 10/10
Fitment (Does it look right in an MR2) 10/10......looks like it should be there to me

Review.....

Bought this as i wanted to use usb /Bluetooth instead of having a car full of cd's........very happy with the unit,its sounds good (with stock speakers,although i intend to upgrade these)...plays well via usb memory stick with good navigation,bought a couple of tiny sandisk 16gb usb sticks which barely stick out of the socket,music streaming via a Sony bluetooth mp3 player is very good/ipod control works good as well.The phone call feature works well although i am not a big phone user.The actual unit seems well built with a decent remote control,display colour can be match to the cars dial colour if wanted,or any colour desired with a few fancy colour changing patterns.

Overall a good upgrade from my 04 facelift unit that plays my digital media as well as still having a cd drive.....nothing fancy in terms of flashing lights but it plays what i want and sounds good.To me it looks right in the mr2,similar to the pre facelift Sony unit

purplepowermonster

Maybe it would be worth adding whether the HU has DAB and the number of  pre outs for an amp?  Just a thought.
I'll try to post mine up when I can.
2006 red Facelift, love it!

Anonymous

DAB comes under other.

Preouts is a good idea but Im sure people can look up the technical specs like that themselves on google.

purplepowermonster

Make/Model name: Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB
Price: £180 from Halfords.
 m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165655 m

CD/DVD Yes (CD, MP3, etc, No DVD)
USB Yes (2 x rear)
SD/MICRO SD Card Yes (SD at front)
IPOD YES
BLUETOOTH SOUND STREAMING Yes
OTHER: DAB and bluetooth microphone for telephone calls

Ratings (OUT OF 10)

Build Quality: 10/10
Settings Details (Customisable Eq / Sound Settings ) 7/10 (high pass filter, bass boost, 3 x loudness levels)
Ease of Use 8/10
Menu Speed (Is quite nice to use or is it laggy) 10/10
Value for Money 10/10
Looks 10/10 (if you like flashing displays, but you can turn that off)
Fitment (Does it look right in an MR2) 10/10 (fits really well)

Description and Review:

Fitted this single DIN unit as I wanted a DAB radio with SD card reader, USB slot and bluetooth facility.  Took me a while to settle on this one but have been really pleased with it.
Would recommend to anyone looking for a fully functioning head unit.
Really wanted a double DIN with  m http://www.mirrorlink.com/ m  of my android phone but couldn't justify the additional cost.
Will try and add a photo when I can.

chris3boro

Quick question guys- I am fitting a new H.U to my '2, and I wondered what the situation is with the radio reception. In order to have good quality reception would a signal booster need to be fitted? The surround kit from ebay I have ordered comes with an 'aerial adaptor' (??) I'm undecided if this is important to me but thought it best to know prior to fitting in case I want to fit one if necessary.
Thanks

purplepowermonster

Quote from: "chris3boro"Quick question guys- I am fitting a new H.U to my '2, and I wondered what the situation is with the radio reception. In order to have good quality reception would a signal booster need to be fitted? The surround kit from ebay I have ordered comes with an 'aerial adaptor' (??) I'm undecided if this is important to me but thought it best to know prior to fitting in case I want to fit one if necessary.
Thanks
I have found the reception to be fine and just have the standard aerial with no booster, although I have fitted a HU with DAB and a windscreen aerial and find this very good (as good as factory fitted DAB reception in other cars).

chris3boro

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"
Quote from: "chris3boro"Quick question guys- I am fitting a new H.U to my '2, and I wondered what the situation is with the radio reception. In order to have good quality reception would a signal booster need to be fitted? The surround kit from ebay I have ordered comes with an 'aerial adaptor' (??) I'm undecided if this is important to me but thought it best to know prior to fitting in case I want to fit one if necessary.
Thanks
I have found the reception to be fine and just have the standard aerial with no booster, although I have fitted a HU with DAB and a windscreen aerial and find this very good (as good as factory fitted DAB reception in other cars).

Stupid question I'm sure, but does something plug in to the new HU related to the aerial, and if so should the generic aerial booster I will receive fit?

purplepowermonster

The aerial connections are pretty generic so there should be no fitting problems.

chris3boro

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"The aerial connections are pretty generic so there should be no fitting problems.

Thanks for your help

purplepowermonster

You're welcome.  If you have any other questions I will do my best to help as I've just upgraded the complete system in my car, HU, amp, door speakers, UD sub etc.

chris3boro

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"You're welcome.  If you have any other questions I will do my best to help as I've just upgraded the complete system in my car, HU, amp, door speakers, UD sub etc.

s8) 8) s8)

Markb

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"You're welcome.  If you have any other questions I will do my best to help as I've just upgraded the complete system in my car, HU, amp, door speakers, UD sub etc.

What way did you route your new power lead in from the rear end/battery....looking to fit some sort of sub soon,probably in the cubby compartment,dont want to drill holes in the soft top  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

purplepowermonster

Hi Mark,

I came straight from the battery and added a fuse attached to the fuse box:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0469196753 m  &  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0607913166 m

Picture here:

I then drilled a small hole behind the passenger cubby and brought the cable through a strain relief type grommet:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0592562424 m

Picture here:

I thought it came out quite neat?

Markb

Thanks for that.....haven't really had a good look yet,i take it the cubby plastics need to come out.

purplepowermonster

Correct  :-) :-) :-)

chris3boro

In the middle of fitting a sony single din unit and the aerial stays up as soon as you turn it on, even if you are playing through the ipod etc. Is there a way round this please? The standard wiring went straight in to my aftermarket stereo without need for a 3rd party adaptor which was unexpected, maybe as the pre FL stereo is sony also?

Also, I bought a facelift surround to use with the aftermarket single din fascia, but the tabs at the bottom of the surround seems to be getting in the way-I have looked at some guides but still don't understand how it all fits back in?..

Where I am up to. . .

2 lots of wiring, 1 came with the stereo, another came with the stereo kit incl the fascia. Not sure if I need to use these to solve the aerial problem

Thanks

Markb

The aerial wire is the blue with a white stripe (also known as the remote wire for amps etc)......you need to cut it and extend it a bit and fit an inline switch to break the connection........you can do the wires now while you are in there and pick a switch up later,just tape the ends for now.

****edit....just found a Sony lead here......it has a loose blue and white for an amp......the solid blue beside it is for the power antenna.....top row 3rd from right?

chris3boro

Quote from: "Markb"The aerial wire is the blue with a white stripe (also known as the remote wire for amps etc)......you need to cut it and extend it a bit and fit an inline switch to break the connection........you can do the wires now while you are in there and pick a switch up later,just tape the ends for now.

If I am happy for the aerial to always stay down do I just cut the wire?
And is that for pre facelift cars by the way?

Markb

Quote from: "chris3boro"
Quote from: "Markb"The aerial wire is the blue with a white stripe (also known as the remote wire for amps etc)......you need to cut it and extend it a bit and fit an inline switch to break the connection........you can do the wires now while you are in there and pick a switch up later,just tape the ends for now.

If I am happy for the aerial to always stay down do I just cut the wire?
And is that for pre facelift cars by the way?

Read the edit above.........if you cut the wire from the unit it should be the Sony lead you are cutting

On the first lead on your pic follow the loose wire marked amp.....cut the solid blue beside it.....power antenna should be wrote on it.

chris3boro

None have anything written on apart from the orange which says 'lumination'

Markb

Turn that lead around.....blue wire 3rd in from right....should be the blue your thumb is on

chris3boro

Quote from: "Markb"Turn that lead around.....blue wire 3rd in from right

The one at the tip of my thumb? Cut it and the aerial stays down?

Markb

Quote from: "chris3boro"
Quote from: "Markb"Turn that lead around.....blue wire 3rd in from right

The one at the tip of my thumb? Cut it and the aerial stays down?

Yeah.....better with a switch though in case you ever want the radio

Should be from top right....black,red, blue.....cut the blue

Tags: