Alex's 2ZZ Swapped MR2 Roadster

Started by Alex Knight, September 1, 2013, 08:26

Alex Knight

Wheels off today for a brake and tyre wear inspection check - all good.

The pads are about half worn, I'm very pleased with the wear rate on the CarboTech XP10s. I'd have had to have changed them already if I was still using Yellowstuff.

AD08RS tyres have huge life left in them. I'd estimate that they are still on 5-6mm tread all round. Amazing really.

Also gave me a chance to deep clean the wheels. Came up lovely. I bought these wheels new in 2014 and they still look good today.

Alex Knight

Yesterday marked the last drive of this year - a lovely blast up the A93.

As of today, it is SORN for 6 months. I've not done this before, but I just can't bear the thought of such a clean car being subjected to the scottish winter, so it's tucked away in the garage for now.

Rest assured it's going to be cleaned to within an inch of it's life, inside, outside and underneath.

puma2

:(  :( night night for 6 months then is it :(

J88TEO

Just tucked away mine yesterday...:-(

Topdownman

Sad time of year, but it does look very cosy!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Alex Knight

I couldn't tuck the car away dirty, obviously, but the weather wasn't playing ball.

Had some sunshine today, so I've given it a quick once over. No polish or wax, just a wash.

Came up nice, and gives me a good platform to get a full paint correction done soon.

Joesson

Polished or not that is shiny to my eyes

puma2

:) that is one good clean while the sun was out fair play :)
looking good love to see what its like looking with a bit  dress to impress  :))  :))

Alex Knight

MOT passed today - zero advisories - happy days :)

puma2

:) now your talking about that 12 month feel on the MOT enjoy :)   the black as it does look good  8)  8)

Alex Knight

Parts arrived from Japan yesterday.

I cleaned and fitted the C-One Motorsport rear strut brace.

It's super sturdy, I'm really pleased with it.

Alex Knight

Decision time!

I find myself in the incredibly fortunate position of being able to choose which genuine, JDM front strut brace to use.

Given that I already have the C-One Motorsport rear brace, the OCD in me is keen to use the C-One front brace also.

However, being a bit of a genuine TRD parts nerd means that I also would like to fit the TRD front brace.

The TRD brace is slightly stiffer (though I don't think there's a massive difference between the two), but I would also be a little tweaked by having two different brands of strut brace on the car (yes, I'm fully aware of how weird this is).

Fitting either unfortunately means that I won't be able to use the frunk cover/lid, which is a little disappointing.

What do you guys think?

KRAMSNEHPETS

What suspension are you running on your car?
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

Alex Knight

Quote from: KRAMSNEHPETS on March 19, 2024, 20:22What suspension are you running on your car?

TEIN SuperStreet with EDFC.

SuperArt

Stiffness of the strut cannot be determined accurately by hand. Whatever differences you feel would be magnified many times over when properly installed as the car would be applying far greater torsional forces to these braces.
I'd pick the stiffer one for the front it makes more difference anyway, doesn't matter what goes at the back.
I have both front and rear TRD braces to fit, sadly can't fit the rear as the turbo fan fouls.

The difference between the two probably can't be felt by us non professional drivers anyway, go with your heart.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

jvanzyl

Stiffness be damned. I'd want a "set".

J88TEO

I have a set listed months ago...no takers.
Still have them!

Iain

Carolyn

There's no way a cross-bolted brace will be as stiff as the TRD, which, I think, is very well engineered.

Also when you look at the rigidity of the plates where the brace bolts to the struts, there's no comparison.

I have a spare frunk lid, if you want to cut one down. I know the breakers just bin them (after removing the catches), so getting a spare is no big deal.  I use tie wraps to attach the top edge of the frunk lid to the TRD brace.

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Alex Knight

That's super handy, thanks @Carolyn. I had considered cutting it down, but I hadn't thought of the cable tie hinge!

Tags: