17 inch wheels - good or bad?

Started by bobjacqs, June 3, 2014, 11:26

bobjacqs

Hi All,
I haven't introduced myself yet as I haven't got an MR2 yet, but I may be getting one very soon, in which case I will post an intro. However, can I pick your brains...

I am looking at a Mk 3 (edited - I originally typed 2 by mistake) 2002 car with which to do hillclimbs and sprints. It's a more or less standard car at present but I noticed it has 17 inch wheels front and back, which strikes me as odd. I thought it should have 15 inch on front and 16 on rear.  Is this a change many MR2 owners make? The present owber thinks they were fitted when new (before she bought it). Might that have been possible? I may not be able to run larger wheels in the roadgoing class in hillclimbs so even if they perform well, they may be no good to me.

It's also got "TTE Exhaust / Suspension / Roll Bar".  Are these good things to have? Excuse my naivety - my other car is an S2000 and I used to race an MX5... MR2s are completely new to me.
Cheers
Bob

m http://www.beambreaking.wordpress.com m

StuC

Hey Bob, welcome along  :-) :-) :-)

You are correct in thinking that 17" wheels are not standard. There are a numbers of owners (including myself) that have changed to them. Generally though they are heavier and the stock wheels are actually very good.
Here are the specs for the stock wheels.

TTE exhaust is a nice little bonus, sought after on here by all accounts. How do you find the noise of it?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

roger

Hi Bob

Stu has missed the fact you have posted about MK2. We are a MK3 club, so information will be sparse and likely confused.

You might like to try mr2oc, or similar.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

StuC

Nice catch Roger.... soooo much shame!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

roger

Actually, he did say 2002! No mk2s built then!

I suppose we will have to wait to see which is what.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

bobjacqs

Quote from: "roger"Hi Bob

Stu has missed the fact you have posted about MK2. We are a MK3 club, so information will be sparse and likely confused.

You might like to try mr2oc, or similar.

No no no. My mistake!  I meant 3.  How did that happen???   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Bob

bobjacqs

Quote from: "StuC"

Nice catch Roger.... soooo much shame!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Nooooo! My mistake  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

bobjacqs

Here's a link to the car just so we're all talking about the same thing  s;-) ;-) s;-)   And in case you want to offer any more advice which would be much appreciated.

m http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p m

Bob

Wabbitkilla

Those aren't original Toyota wheels and I'd like to bet the tyres are the same size all-round too   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
TTE exhaust is a nice feature, sounds pleasant, adds no performance.
TTE style bar is no roll protection, it's only there to look pretty.

Someone would buy the style bar off you, and the exhaust if you wanted to swap it out.
For hill climbs you would be better with the standard wheels, maybe even the pfl 15" sizes to maximise acceleration.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Jrichards20

Can i suggest also looking in our vehicles for sale section? Being cheeky, mine is up for sale, newer version, correct wheels.   s8) 8) s8)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Tags: