Using The Passenger Window Disable Switch For Something Else

Started by GSB, October 22, 2004, 09:22

Anonymous

Thank God for MR2 Roc!!  Just got back fomr a drive worried my passenger window was broken.  I was abou tto ask for some advice on where to start testing for faults, then i read this and checked.  I don't think i have ever noticed the button before!! What an idiot i am !

Anonymous

I got my 'friend' to wire mine up so it squirts oil onto the windscreen of villain behind chasing me!

Anonymous

Mine now produces a smokescreen to confused the chasing villians!

oli3107

ours goes down when you turn radio off or switch to cd?

kentsmudger

Quote from: "oli3107"ours goes down when you turn radio off or switch to cd?
Not all head-units will do this, especially when playing CDs, hence the mod
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

oli3107

ours is stock HU.
but then i spose most on here have aftermarket

kamlung

was thinking about using the switch as a in your face stealth kill switch... but im afraid it may be too high gauge of a wire to handle the current?

brianorme1986

do you think i can unplug that useless switch and use the live feed to wire in a engine start button??

dtp

This is how I did my aerial disable - I didn't use the window disable switch but fitted a new one (see photos), but there is no reason why you cant reuse the switch
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34574#p420196
This is on a 2004 facelift model with original Mr. T audio and linked CD changer.

Cheers

kamlung

i think that for anyone that has a swapped motor (i.e. 2zz) that no longer has an immobilizer, you can use the switch as a stealthy kill switch on the starter... :2cents:

Skint Brit

Hi all, I'm so grateful to have read this post a couple of months ago, as I had a new head unit fitted this week (Pioneer Avic-f77), and was told by the fitter that the electric aerial would have to be up ALL THE TIME the ignition was on. I said "what, even when I'm not listening to radio?"  He said yes. Then I remembered this post, and asked him to wire the aerial power to the window isolation switch, he looked at me a bit strangely and then the penny dropped.  Works really well, most of the time I'm listening to the great DAB reception, or Bluetooth, but should I want to listen to FM/MW.........Up it goes.  Thanks for the suggestion, too clever to be my own!
Very nearly a 2007 model in Silver. TTE exhausts, spoiler and suspension. Black & Silver Grey custom leather with A/C. New Carhood Warehouse Mohair roof & Pioneer Avic-F77 head with reversing camera. FTSH.

skidmark

How about replacing it with one of these.

Always handy to see the battery voltage

shnazzle

Quote from: "skidmark"How about replacing it with one of these.

I like that! Link?
...neutiquam erro.

skidmark

I will be ordering one once I've check the sizes

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Digital-V ... Swh-1W4UM0 m

tricky1138

Quote from: "shnazzle"

I like that! Link?

I like that too! Await confirmation of fitting!   s:D :D s:D
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

skidmark

Couldn't really say for sure its going to fit, so ordered it anyway and will make it work  s:) :) s:)

Will update when it arrives and is tested, its not due for a week or 2

stu h

so simple you would have to be a genius to think about it ???

Bossworld

Quote from: "Skint Brit"Hi all, I'm so grateful to have read this post a couple of months ago, as I had a new head unit fitted this week (Pioneer Avic-f77), and was told by the fitter that the electric aerial would have to be up ALL THE TIME the ignition was on. I said "what, even when I'm not listening to radio?"  He said yes. Then I remembered this post, and asked him to wire the aerial power to the window isolation switch, he looked at me a bit strangely and then the penny dropped.  Works really well, most of the time I'm listening to the great DAB reception, or Bluetooth, but should I want to listen to FM/MW.........Up it goes.  Thanks for the suggestion, too clever to be my own!

Just wondering how the wiring for this would work?  Would it mean that the aerial power remains dependent on the radio, or is it completely independent in operation (up/down based on the switch?)

gazza1286

The switch only interrupts the aerial when the head unit is switched on. It doesn't power the aerial when the head unit is switched off.

Skint Brit

Quote from: "Bossworld"
Quote from: "Skint Brit"Hi all, I'm so grateful to have read this post a couple of months ago, as I had a new head unit fitted this week (Pioneer Avic-f77), and was told by the fitter that the electric aerial would have to be up ALL THE TIME the ignition was on. I said "what, even when I'm not listening to radio?"  He said yes. Then I remembered this post, and asked him to wire the aerial power to the window isolation switch, he looked at me a bit strangely and then the penny dropped.  Works really well, most of the time I'm listening to the great DAB reception, or Bluetooth, but should I want to listen to FM/MW.........Up it goes.  Thanks for the suggestion, too clever to be my own!

Just wondering how the wiring for this would work?  Would it mean that the aerial power remains dependent on the radio, or is it completely independent in operation (up/down based on the switch?)

Hi Bossworld, sorry only just noticed your question. Simply put, when you make this mod you completely take control of the aerial MOTOR from the head unit. The aerial it self is of course always attached to the head unit, but the up/down function of the electric motor is now under your manual control. I hope that makes sense?
Very nearly a 2007 model in Silver. TTE exhausts, spoiler and suspension. Black & Silver Grey custom leather with A/C. New Carhood Warehouse Mohair roof & Pioneer Avic-F77 head with reversing camera. FTSH.

Skint Brit

Did we ever find out if this was the right size and worked once fitted?  Seems like a nice thing to fill one of the blanks.

Bossworld

Quote from: "Skint Brit"
Quote from: "Bossworld"

Hi Bossworld, sorry only just noticed your question. Simply put, when you make this mod you completely take control of the aerial MOTOR from the head unit. The aerial it self is of course always attached to the head unit, but the up/down function of the electric motor is now under your manual control. I hope that makes sense?

Hi mate,

No worries at all, ended up using the same theory but in a slightly different way.

Bought a cheap 16mm rocker switch (99p on eBay) and fitted that in with a male bullet connector one end, female the other.  Plugged in-line into my Pioneer's blue wire and works perfectly.

chrismscotland

Quick one guys, already taken the window controls out of the switch and wired up but looking to do the aerial mod, does it matter what Amperage of wire I use?

mitreklov

I did this mod for my arial control. Purchased another secondhand switch, rubbed the white markings off using some t-cut the used 'Y' shaped white lettering to represent the function. Used it quite a lot, works well.
2006 Spectra Blue, Hardtop, AC

virginpaul

So I've now done the aerial override switch mod. myself thanks to the great how to's on here.  I used the daft passenger window cutout switch.  Cut the heavy wiring 1 inch from the switch connector and stripped and twisted and crimped them together - pax window worked fine.

For the aerial cutout wiring, rather than try and access the OE wiring behind the new stereo or the ISO converter cable I fitted, I broke into the circuit behind the corner kick panel at the drivers footwell - IJ1 (the large white connector), pin 2, small black wire.  Used a meter to check it went +12v with the radio on, and 0 when selected off.

The wiring is pretty low amperage as it's only a "signal" wire to the relay.

Just got to remove the "window" symbol from the switch and see if I can dry transfer either a symbol of an antenna, or just the word "aerial" crossed out.....

Edit:-
That'll do...

Img_4656 by virgin_pabs, on Flickr

Tags: