Wiring Diagram, again...

Started by Slice, June 23, 2016, 09:10

Slice

I've done a heavy search, and dug through the tech readme thread. I've registered on Toyota-tech.eu and seen that they'd like 423 euro for a wiring diagram...

I know this has been asked before, but the search popped threads from 2010, so maybe it's not too cheeky to spam the question again...?

After stripping out the alarm (which I think I fried) from my 2000MY MR-S import, I now have a runner, but a couple of electrical subsystems are still dead. I have head and tail lights, horn, central locking, ignition and fuel. However, I have no indicators, wipers, or power to the clocks, and I don't think I have dash lighting at all. The only light is the 'door ajar' lamp which I assume gets independent power via the door sensors.

All fuses are ok, many are new 'just in case'.

After removing the alarm, I spliced and heatshrunk about 20 wires, lots in the ignition barrel loom, and then some to the locking module and I assume the indicators...

I've already stripped the ignition switch back out to start figuring out which of the 6 pins start linking at each position of the key, so I can then start tracing along each wire. However, this is a time consuming  sbollocks bollocks sbollocks  and awkward as I've currently got a sprained shoulder and a sore spine. Motocross, just say no kids...

I'd like to have a look over a diagram to figure out if there's a control wire, or any commonality between the non-functional subsystems so I can either put the blame on a specific bad splice, or maybe one I missed or something. It will also help to understand which connectors around the car I can unplug to follow the 12v around, rather than stripping some of the sheathing off here and there to probe about.

TL;DR. Car broke, I'm achey, need wiring diagram.

Cheers!

Fin

The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Slice

Oh sweet baby jesus yeah...!

I frigging love wiring diagrams. I'm not sure why, I'm an OEM auto engineer and I never go near electrics, and I was terrible at electrical engineering at Uni. It baffles me, but I love it as it's like magic or something when I can make it work again.

Many, many thanks from me and my ruined back and shoulder.  s:) :) s:)

Slice

Got it. The 12v feed to the IG1 relay was down, the wire from the ignition switch had 3 crimps in. Replaced it all, the magic and lights are in. Sweet.

Fin

Excellent job!! Well done   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
Since you've been scrabbling around in that area... Do you happen to know which wire from the ignition switch is permanent live, and which is switch live? I've got a start button I've been meaning to fit for about 2 years now, I might get around to it one day   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slice

Thanks for the link chief. Though I did have my eye on that wire being a bit shady, I didn't want to just start randomly gutting stuff...

The White with red stripes is the permanent 12V wire to the ignition switch, which is at position 5 on the connector (the middle wire, on the side away from the clip, I think). Right next to it at position 4 is an all red wire, which is the feed to the starter solenoid.

The 'run' wire is the red with white bits wire at position 6. If I remember right, there are two of them in the same crimp here. Not fully certain why, one would presumably head to the IG2 relay, the second I've not traced in the manual, or in the car yet.

You'd probably be wanting to take the feed to the start button from these two wires, or their connector pin if you have the kit to re-pin connectors. Then splice the button output to the red wire to feed the solenoid. At that point you have to have the switch at 'run' to fire the starter. Alternatively, feed it from the permanent 12v for an always active starter.

Fin

Excellent, thank you!!!
I used to be a sparky when I was younger, but car wiring has always been a particularly dark form of black magic as far as I am concerned.

Slice

No worries chief, let me know if it works, as now that the alarm is out I've no security at all, so a few hidden switches might be useful. While I'm there a start button is a bit of fun too.

Fin

I'll let you know, probably next week. Not going to get a chance to look at it today, and I'm back at work tomorrow.
Always remember, Fighter Pilot!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: