'01 Silver - The daily commute smile machine! (Turbo build)

Started by jvanzyl, August 10, 2016, 15:05

jvanzyl

Call the midlife!

60% of the time it works everytime...

jvanzyl

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  6, 2022, 14:23Certainly looks like it..

This and many other cost saving initiatives brought to up by @Call the midlife! ... thanks man!

Is the fiat radiator still what people buy for the charge cooling?

jvanzyl

Quote from: jvanzyl on March  6, 2022, 14:44This and many other cost saving initiatives brought to up by @Call the midlife! ... thanks man!

lol they charge £9.50 for shipping...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jvanzyl on March  6, 2022, 14:52lol they charge £9.50 for shipping...
Hahahaha! Sorry, I forgot about the minimum spend shenanigans, thought you might have more to get.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  6, 2022, 15:04Hahahaha! Sorry, I forgot about the minimum spend shenanigans, thought you might have more to get.

Well I do! But couldn't actually find anything to get from them!

jvanzyl

I've now got a matching set of front and rear UR braces.. yay! Time to unmatch them.. colour wise at least!

jvanzyl

Some layers of primer later...

tomaky

Nice!!! Getting there! Toyota Greyish blue, Brilliant!!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

jvanzyl

jvanzyl

Finally managed to get a service done (it's been a while but not that many miles).

Oil, oil filter, air filter, maf clean and new spark plugs..

The best part was I managed to get 2/3 boys to pay a bit of attention and learn something (I think/hope) with me.

Oh and I fitted the painted strut brace as well- it does make the engine bay look a bit neater and less cluttered...

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

tomaky

Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

jvanzyl

So I picked up my argon gas at lunch time today. Lovely drive there and back. A 20L bottle fits perfectly behind the seats.

jvanzyl

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 17, 2022, 13:44So I picked up my argon gas at lunch time today. Lovely drive there and back. A 20L bottle fits perfectly behind the seats.

just as an aside.. how tight do the nuts have to be connecting the regulator to the bottle? It's just that I thought I had them fairly tight but I still get air escaping.. do people just add plumbers tape? or just tighten till the spanner breaks kind of thing? @Carolyn

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 17, 2022, 13:50just as an aside.. how tight do the nuts have to be connecting the regulator to the bottle? It's just that I thought I had them fairly tight but I still get air escaping.. do people just add plumbers tape? or just tighten till the spanner breaks kind of thing? @Carolyn

Are they the same thread/pitch? BSP vs NPT or anything like that?

Carolyn

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 17, 2022, 13:50just as an aside.. how tight do the nuts have to be connecting the regulator to the bottle? It's just that I thought I had them fairly tight but I still get air escaping.. do people just add plumbers tape? or just tighten till the spanner breaks kind of thing? @Carolyn

Make sure the tapered surfaces are clean and tighten until it's gas-tight.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

AJRFulton

Can't say I've ever had any issues with significant gas escaping a cylinder.

Usually give surface a wipe, put round a bit of PTFE tape and tighten them spanner tight (i.e. as tight as I can get the spanner without forcing it).

As previous has said, are the threads the same?

jvanzyl

Thanks all- threads are the same and clean and have ordered a proper size spanner and will apply some tape.

Spanner will only be here on the weekend so oh well.. patience! 

jvanzyl

Recent deliveries..
  • Oil & Water lines
  • Charge cooler pump
  • Charge cooler bracket
  • plug thingy for charge cooler pump
  • 4x6 charge cooler cooler
  • Cinquento radiator
  • new normal radiator
waiting for:
  • Innovate wideband sensor
  • pressure sensor for EMU
  • afr wiring for EMU

Still to order:
3" flexi, v band clamps, 200 cell cat, muffler and various mandrel bends to make the following:
You cannot view this attachment.

Then decide on bov, boost controller.. and figure out ever else I'm missing..

jvanzyl

Still need to figure out depth of proportions etc..
You cannot view this attachment.

jvanzyl

Tonight's drive home took an unexpected turn for the worse... a nice big bottle of milk opened up on a corner and poured out on the passenger side.

What I initially thought was bad..

Then became worse

Then I thought it was better

Then I looked at how much I'd extracted and realised how much more there was still in there..

So things basically escalated

Until they couldn't go any further

And now I'm just going to have to wait a few days for things to dry..

Definitely worth it in terms of the amount of milk I could rinse out with the hose pipe.. have no idea if I'll still be thinking that when I have to put it all back together again.

Mezula24

Quote from: jvanzyl on November  9, 2022, 23:10Tonight's drive home took an unexpected turn for the worse... a nice big bottle of milk opened up on a corner and poured out on the passenger side.

What I initially thought was bad..

Then became worse

Then I thought it was better

Then I looked at how much I'd extracted and realised how much more there was still in there..

So things basically escalated

Until they couldn't go any further

And now I'm just going to have to wait a few days for things to dry..

Definitely worth it in terms of the amount of milk I could rinse out with the hose pipe.. have no idea if I'll still be thinking that when I have to put it all back together again.
" No point crying over spilt milk ? "
Sometimes it definitely is.

Topdownman

"Daddy, I dont like vacuum cleaner milk"....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: