Spare keys

Started by m1tch, June 5, 2017, 07:06

Joesson

From my reading on here replacement keys are not that readily available at acceptable prices and often involves getting various parts from different sources.
If you have found a supplier of a replacement flip key complete with transponder that does a postal service and all the buyer has to do is to pay (and presumably supply an original key on loan)  and do the initiation dance then I believe others will be pleased see a link or contact details.

ManInDandism

Quote from: Joesson on May 21, 2019, 14:18
From my reading on here replacement keys are not that readily available at acceptable prices and often involves getting various parts from different sources.
If you have found a supplier of a replacement flip key complete with transponder that does a postal service and all the buyer has to do is to pay (and presumably supply an original key on loan)  and do the initiation dance then I believe others will be pleased see a link or contact details.

This is not my personal experience.  Search on eBay to find blank key complete with transponder (£33), get key cut at local non-franchised locksmith (£7 if I remember correctly), program key myself and job's a good'un.  Could not be simpler.  There are also cheaper sources.

If you have your heart set on a flip key then might be a different story (4 cars in my household with various key types and personally do not see the attraction).  But if you're a bit handy, SpyderLEE does have a youtube video on how to convert a standard key into a flip key.

The other thing is - the reason most people are after a spare is because they have just the single key.  So unlikely then to want to be posting off the one key that you do have.

Here's the KEY I got.  Came with with a new case with gold Toyoto logo.  I note that Rutland MR2 regularly have a listing for keys also.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Joesson

I was thinking that "others" would be pleased to find a one stop supplier. Some years ago I converted my one transponder key to a flip case.
Fair point about posting your one key, but nevertheless a "working" transponder key with some sort of assurance that it will work could be helpful as is the source you have posted a link for.

PS I have pm'd the OP asking him to share his contact.

CunningLinguist

The man to contact is Patrick Boyle and the cost is £30.00 plus £2.26 for Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded Delivery.

*Mod - personal data removed - please request contact details via pm*

I found him very helpful and the key worked first time; it's also easier on the pocket, in every sense, than the alternatives, and saved me having to source and assemble the various parts.

As I happened to be travelling within an hour of his place, I drove over with the key, rather than trusting the postal system.

Hope that helps.

Bossworld

Believe they're the same firm that do Toyota keys on eBay cut to code for less than a tenner. Used them a couple of times for my car and mum's. Just swapped the transponder around and saved any doubt/messing about with blanks and cobblers.

Interesting that they can do the flip ones now too.

BahnStormer

Quote from: CunningLinguist on May 21, 2019, 00:18
Just in case anyone else is still needing to get another key, I'd like to recommend the chap I bought one from today. It is a flip key, with a TOY41 blade, coded to match the immobiliser and ready for the "dance" to program the remote locking.  I called in with the existing key and within 20 minutes had the new key, along with a useful sheet showing the key code, the transponder details, etc., and was instructed on all aspects. 

Unfortunately I wasn't in the MR2 - if I had've been, the helpful seller would have done the remote programming too.  Postal service is available.

As this is my first post, I'm not sure whether I can include a link, so please PM me if you want more details.

I've no connection with the business. I'd done a lot of internet/forum searching and contacted a few auto locksmiths and eBayers before finding this fella, and it isn't often that service (and price) impresses me enough to prompt a recommendation.

Great first two posts :)

Could you please try the key in the glove box and most importantly - in the driver's door?

The reason I ask is that I got a cheap eBay TOY41 key blade off eBay... got it cut and used it for a few months in my car and then had a problem where the alarm was going off and the fob wouldn't unlock it, so I tried unlocking the door, only to find that the key didn't fit any of the doors! Not the locksmith's fault - the groove down the middle of the key is very fractionally too narrow... just thinking I can send the spare (with the narrow groove) off and use that to get the new spare cut :)

£30 sounds like a very fair price - pretty much what you'd pay for an eBay part (blade + fob) and cutting... I paid £27, but the blade was such a budget one that I now need to buy and another and get it cut!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bossworld

@BahnStormer I searched for the address above on old emails and it's the same guy as I used. The first set I had didn't work properly on any lock but were promptly replaced and worked on everything in and out of the car. You send a photo of your old key and they decode how to cut it, and it's cut by computer.

Toyota verified the code that they read, so as long as the cut is accurate you should be good

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=65743.msg773627#msg773627

CunningLinguist

Hi Bahnstormer.  Thanks for suggesting this as, although I'd successfully tried the driver's door as soon as I was back at the car, I hadn't thought to try the glove box and storage lockers, which I now know don't work with the new key :(   To be honest, the glove box doesn't open very reliably from a locked position even with the "original" key, which I believe is also a replacement item.  I'll contact Patrick and see what he suggests.   I'm off to do the Roadster Remote Rumba (or Secure Spyder Samba?) now, using the instructions on this forum, so I'll report back on whether that succeeded too.

CunningLinguist

Remote Rhumba didn't work. Got to the point where I was in programming mode - confirmed by the door locks going on/off - but then when I pressed both buttons on the remote, and then one button, nothing happened.  So, I've reported back and will report progress here.

BahnStormer

Quote from: CunningLinguist on May 27, 2019, 11:02
Remote Rhumba didn't work. Got to the point where I was in programming mode - confirmed by the door locks going on/off - but then when I pressed both buttons on the remote, and then one button, nothing happened.  So, I've reported back and will report progress here.

let us know when you crack it... I found it worked best with the video playing alongside... have to dance in step ;)
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

paulj

+1 for running a youtube video.  I found that the time between steps was too long/too short without the accompaniment.  Once in time, it worked first time!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

CunningLinguist

Ok, thanks for the suggestion of taking a video dancing partner. I'm pretty sure I did it right whilst shuffling solo, but I'll put my ballet slippers back on and have another play (or plié) soon.

CunningLinguist

A somewhat belated follow-up to this post ...  Patrick kindly offered me a full refund so I returned the key and decided to follow suggestions made by others on this forum to obtain a spare transponder key from eBay and try to program that via the dance.  Once again I got to the point where I was in programming mode, but pressing the Lock and Unlock buttons together on the second remote had no effect. I did this with the video playing alongside and I tried it several times.

Is it possible that there's something about my car that prevents the programming from working with the "new" remote?  And, if so, what do I try next?  Can I just take my original and second keys to an auto-locksmith and ask them to replicate the original info on the new one, and cut a blank blade to match? Presumably then they could also program the immobiliser side of things too, as I now have a record of the code.

Can anyone recommend such a locksmith in North or West Yorkshire?

ManInDandism

Have not seen the video but used the instructions below  (on the forum several times in old posts):

1. Begin with the old key out of the ignition.
2. The DRIVER'S side door should be OPEN and unlocked. CLOSE all other doors including bonnets.
3. Within 5 seconds INSERT the old key into the ignition and PULL it out TWICE.
4. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
5. Insert old key INTO the ignition then REMOVE it.
6. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
7. Insert the old key INTO the ignition and LEAVE it in the ignition.
8. CLOSE the DRIVER's side door.
9. Switch the ignition to ON then OFF.
10. REMOVE the old key from ignition.
11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has successfully entered programming mode.
12. PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the new key remote being programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD it for 2 seconds.
13. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the new key transponder. If you have any additional transponders to program repeat step 12 if you have no additional transponders proceed to step 14.
14. OPEN the DRIVER'S side door. Programming the transponder is now complete.

For the immobilser:

Now that you have the newly cut key and the master key, you can program the Toyota transponder key. Sit in the driver's side of the Toyota vehicle. Press and release the brake and gas pedal simultaneously.
Insert the master transponder key. Do not turn it. Push and release the gas pedal 5 times within at least 15 seconds of inserting the master key.
Press and release the brake pedal 6 times within 20 seconds of completing step 3, then remove the master transponder key.
Insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition, but do not turn. Press the gas pedal once.
Wait up to 2 minutes or whenever the security light on the dashboard turns off. Once the light goes off, remove the new transponder key and press the brake pedal once. The new transponder key should now be programmed. Test the key by attempting to start the engine. If the engine does not start, repeat the steps above.

Does the video do Step 12 exactly as stated?
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

paulj

Just one new thought if you still cant get the fob to pair.....

The ECU will only hold the details of four fobs so perhaps yours already has four paired (and lost) during its life.  You can reset the ECU using another version of the dance and you can also check how many paired with the similar dance.

Its the number of on-offs you complete with the key before you finally remove it.  1 is add a fob, 2 is re-write mode, 3 is confirmation mode (and cycles lock unlock for the number of fobs registered) and 5 is prohibition mode (don't know what that does).

If you do the 3 routine and get 4x lock/unlocks then your ECU is full and needs rewriting.
Today
In the late 1980's

CunningLinguist

Aha - I hadn't thought of that!  I'll do the confirmation dance, and hope that it does indeed give 4 x locks/unlocks.  Will report back.  Also, to answer the question re step 12 of the video, I think the timings suggested are slightly different, so once I've deduced whether I'm already oversubscribed on the fobs front, I'll try the alternative above too.  Thanks to both of you.

BahnStormer

Quote from: CunningLinguist on August 23, 2019, 19:03Aha - I hadn't thought of that!  I'll do the confirmation dance, and hope that it does indeed give 4 x locks/unlocks.  Will report back.  Also, to answer the question re step 12 of the video, I think the timings suggested are slightly different, so once I've deduced whether I'm already oversubscribed on the fobs front, I'll try the alternative above too.  Thanks to both of you.

I think the max fobs is SEVEN....

Also - double checking you're not using the grey key?!?

CunningLinguist

I think the limit is four and, no, I'm not using a grey key.  Chances are that the only good one I have is already a replacement key.  Anyway, I did the confirmation dance and deduced that only two were registered. Tried again to register my new one, but no luck so I risked wiping them all from the car's memory and then tried again. I could re-register the good one I already had, but not the second one, so I can only conclude that despite having bought it as an MR2 fob, it doesn't have the correct chip in it :(

paulj

Ours are the Tokia Rika fobs, when out of the key body they tend to be a grey square with transparent battery cover one side and the buttons on the other.
Today
In the late 1980's

EliOwen

I accidentally locked keys in car, where can i get the new key or how to unlock the door. Any suggestions?

Carolyn

Quote from: EliOwen on August 11, 2020, 14:45I accidentally locked keys in car, where can i get the new key or how to unlock the door. Any suggestions?
Call a locksmith
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Quote from: EliOwen on August 11, 2020, 14:45I accidentally locked keys in car, where can i get the new key or how to unlock the door. Any suggestions?

As @Carolyn suggests "call a locksmith" is likely your quickest solution. I suggest enquire as to cost before engaging.
I managed to get to a Main Dealer and get a replacement in the 1970's haven't done that since.
Replacement from Mr T is expensive!
A neighbour bought a set of lock picks from the www. to get into his Volvo.
In past times in the UK the Car Breakdown Services would do this.
Your car insurance may cover lost keys, check with them.
Your local garage may help.
Check the cost / availability of a passenger window from a breaker and use a hammer to break the window.
That is what a local hooded youth would do.
The rubber trim around the side windows is pliable and may allow wire coat hangers etc to be employed, again a local youth may be be bribed to help. Here is a link for a product called "Goldfinger" It shows a glorified wire coat hanger to reach and disengage the lock at the inside door handle or reach and catch your keys.
https://www.lockpickworld.com/products/gold-finger-through-car-tool
I don't suppose you have a spare key?

tricky1138

You might be able to slide a long thin bit of metal or similar between the window and the hood frame to try and move the door unlock catch.

I did that with one of my mates cars (Not MR2) and managed it after lots of attempts.

This is all dependant on if its not deadlocked.

You might also set the alarm off if it is activated.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

georgereece

From where you have got the keys, have you considered a locksmith or a dealer?

Joesson

Quote from: Joesson on August 11, 2020, 16:50

As @Carolyn suggests "call a locksmith" is likely your quickest solution. I suggest enquire as to cost before engaging.
I managed to get to a Main Dealer and get a replacement in the 1970's haven't done that since.
Replacement from Mr T is expensive!
A neighbour bought a set of lock picks from the www. to get into his Volvo.
In past times in the UK the Car Breakdown Services would do this.
Your car insurance may cover lost keys, check with them.
Your local garage may help.
Check the cost / availability of a passenger window from a breaker and use a hammer to break the window.
That is what a local hooded youth would do.
The rubber trim around the side windows is pliable and may allow wire coat hangers etc to be employed, again a local youth may be be bribed to help. Here is a link for a product called "Goldfinger" It shows a glorified wire coat hanger to reach and disengage the lock at the inside door handle or reach and catch your keys.
https://www.lockpickworld.com/products/gold-finger-through-car-tool
I don't suppose you have a spare key?

I visited this thread again via recent posts and had another look at the link I posted. This has a brief video of the "Goldfinger" in action, it's being used with an " inflatable wedge" , enlightening, perhaps worrying for some!

Tags: