Which instrument bulbs are needed?

Started by m1tch, August 2, 2017, 13:02

m1tch

Hi all,

Quick question, I have a few illumination bulbs out behind the instruments (speedo and rev counter), just wondering what size bulb I need to get to replace them as I can't see a bulb list of what I need to replace them with.

Thanks in advance!

delhusband

Hi M1tch Holder is part no 83101 14040 at £2.94 ea, and bulb is part no 99132 YZZBJ at £0.45 ea.
Hate pointy animals

m1tch

Quote from: "delhusband"Hi M1tch Holder is part no 83101 14040 at £2.94 ea, and bulb is part no 99132 YZZBJ at £0.45 ea.

Are they a Toyota specific part then rather than a t5 bulb etc? Looks like they are w16w bulbs which I believe mean they are t15 sized?

delhusband

Sorry, don't know. Local Halfords had nothing like them in stock, so I went to Toyota
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Should've said, I ordered pack of 10 last Saturday,  not arrived yet, could spare you a couple of interested? I bought 1 a while back to replace blown coolant indicator illumination, but now it's brighter than all the rest so I bought more
Hate pointy animals

m1tch

Quote from: "delhusband"Should've said, I ordered pack of 10 last Saturday,  not arrived yet, could spare you a couple of interested? I bought 1 a while back to replace blown coolant indicator illumination, but now it's brighter than all the rest so I bought more

I think I might be redoing all of mine so might need quite a few, they aren't really that bright anyway but they are probably the original ones from 2003 and 175k miles ago!

mark1307

Sorry to reply to such an old topic BUT...I need to replace the speedo and rev bulbs and was just wondering if i need to buy the holder or just bulbs? I've watched loads of youtube clips and they all seem to replace the whole thing which seems odd!

Cheers
Silver...you know you love it!

delhusband

Quote from: mark1307 on June 13, 2018, 13:51
Sorry to reply to such an old topic BUT...I need to replace the speedo and rev bulbs and was just wondering if i need to buy the holder or just bulbs? I've watched loads of youtube clips and they all seem to replace the whole thing which seems odd!

Cheers
I just replaced the bulbs, no issues, but they're inexpensive  :)
Hate pointy animals

mark1307

Quote from: delhusband on June 13, 2018, 14:01
Quote from: mark1307 on June 13, 2018, 13:51

Cheers
I just replaced the bulbs, no issues, but they're inexpensive  :)

Nice one - thanks. Will give the local dealer a call and get a pack reserved. For 45p each I guess I may as well replace the lot and save having to do the whole job each time one goes!
Silver...you know you love it!

Bossworld

If it's any help with comparing sizes etc the LEDs in mind are T5 286 3SMD. Allegedly 3W

Enjay

I read *somewhere* that replacing the dash bulbs with LEDs could be problematic if you have a dashboard light brightness adjuster thing (my MR2 has one, but my MR-S does not - so some cars have and some don't).

Is there a problem with LEDs + brightness thing or am I misinformed?

Bossworld

Quote from: Enjay on June 15, 2018, 21:43
I read *somewhere* that replacing the dash bulbs with LEDs could be problematic if you have a dashboard light brightness adjuster thing (my MR2 has one, but my MR-S does not - so some cars have and some don't).

Is there a problem with LEDs + brightness thing or am I misinformed?

Mine do dim via the wheel (though not by much). The bigger problem is the lack of gauge visibility at dusk. Have been tempted to swap for a new set of bulbs to see if they're brighter.

Call the midlife!

I think generally the majority of people who try leds switch back to standard bulbs eventually due to the dusk issue.
Have you considered a plasma overlay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 15, 2018, 22:32
I think generally the majority of people who try leds switch back to standard bulbs eventually due to the dusk issue.
Have you considered a plasma overlay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest mate I don't drive the car much at night (or much at all :)) hence it's not really bothered me so far. I don't remember what it was like with incandescent bulbs but I'm unsure if replacing with the standard 1.2w would restore much more output?

I swear I read a post where someone had found 2w bulbs but I can't find it for the life of me

Ozzy

I put LEDs in mine ages ago but swapped them back because there were loads of dark spots that wern't lit up anymore and weirdly weren't as bright.

Also the brightness adjuster won't work with LEDs but it just means speedo is on max brightness all the time. Never known anyone to turn brightness down, especially on a MR2 lol. Also yes, the bulbs are T5 286 (the super thin ones).

Tags: