Fitting Heated Seats - a rough guide... [By GSB]

Started by GSB, February 17, 2005, 19:41

Anonymous

thinking about it, its only a heating element anyway so shouldn't be polarity sensitive... Unless I'm forgetting something....

roger

Quote from: "Tem"I'm really sorry about that!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I have one example loom at home, which I use to make them, so I can't understand how I've made a mistake like that.

My loom worked perfectly OK. Or should I say the heaters work perfectly OK.

Not sure what to expect if things were the "wrong way round"?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tem

Quote from: "davidhowson"Toyota heated seat switches

Can you take pics of them?  s8) 8) s8)

Quote from: "roger"Not sure what to expect if things were the "wrong way round"?

Richie pretty much got it, the element is just a big resistor, which turns the current into heat and the thermostat just opens the circuit when it reaches the set temp. It doesn't matter which way it's wired.

The light on the switch shouldn't work if it's wired the wrong way though, so that's how you can tell if it's right or not. So is everyone's switch lighting up when it's on?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"The light on the switch shouldn't work if it's wired the wrong way though, so that's how you can tell if it's right or not. So is everyone's switch lighting up when it's on?

I'm guessing its an LED in the switch then, and not a small bulb?

darrenjuggins

Hi All,

I thought I would just add my experience of fitting the heating elements to this guide, just in case anyone has a set up like mine.

I installed the pads under my cloth seats, after checking with Tem that this would be alright.

Followed all Tems instructions, but on the second seat decided just to open up the 3 rings at the back of the seat, this saved me loads of time and meant that I didn't need to remove the bars to get to wear I needed to install the pad, all I then did was crimp the rings back together, saved me about 20-30 of messing about trying to get the rod out.

I'm pleased Tem had fitted all the wires for me, made it much easier, but something to be aware of is that BOTH seats need to be connected before you can try it, I wanted to test my connections prior to refitting both seats, centre console, etc, etc, but when only one was connected, nothing happended, it was only when I connected both seat (thus creating a complete cuircuit) that it all worked. (Just a note for people who are a little nervous with Electrics).

As for the holes in the centre console, luckily enough my father runs a Land Rover Dealership, so the lads had a Mole type drill bit, (remember thunderbirds?, it looks like the Mole) which was great for getting the hole just right, much better than my give it a go wood bit approach I was going to try.

I'm really pleased with how it all looks and fits and have left it on all the time, i suffer from a bad back, so it's great after 30 secs from start up I'm a happy bunny!

As for feeling the pads through the cloth, you can't you can feel them when you press your hand on them, but this dosen't translate to your back and bum.....

So once again thanks Tem and hope anyone else getting them benefits from my experience.

Best wishes

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

celmacmat

Quote from: "Tem"The light on the switch shouldn't work if it's wired the wrong way though, so that's how you can tell if it's right or not. So is everyone's switch lighting up when it's on?

That is exactly what the guy said...if he had left it the way it was, the little green lights on the switches wouldn't have worked.
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

roger

Quote from: "Tem"So is everyone's switch lighting up when it's on?

Yes, they are working OK. Guess either you had a "moment" when making hers, or I wired it up totally the wrong way round - hence negating your error, or Celmacmat is being pushed a line.

She did say green lights, mine were orange??
Roger

roger

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"open up the 3 rings at the back of the seat, this saved me loads of time and meant that I didn't need to remove the bars to get to wear I needed to install the pad, all I then did was crimp the rings back together, saved me about 20-30 of messing about trying to get the rod out.

Not sure where I read it, but I did that as well. OK maybe they are not now quite as circular as they were before, but it works!
Roger

Tem

Quote from: "Richie"I'm guessing its an LED in the switch then, and not a small bulb?

Yeah, it's a led. (at least it should be, never checked)

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Tem"So is everyone's switch lighting up when it's on?

Yes, they are working OK. Guess either you had a "moment" when making hers, or I wired it up totally the wrong way round - hence negating your error, or Celmacmat is being pushed a line.

She did say green lights, mine were orange??

Good thing, maybe I somehow messed that one then.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Note to self: be more careful!  s8) 8) s8)

Green, orange and red are (sometimes) available and some ask for a specific colour, while most are happy with anything. Or not noticing the choice?  s:? :? s:?  Did you want green too?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

roger

Quote from: "Tem"Green, orange and red are (sometimes) available and some ask for a specific colour, while most are happy with anything. Or not noticing the choice?  s:? :? s:?  Did you want green too?

No, its OK thanks Tem - more than happy with what I got.
Roger

Anonymous

Hi All,

Just fitted my own set of heated seats (thanks for the supply Tem!).

Right...

The backs to my seats (car is a 51, but think seats came off a Y) were zippered - without the puller. In the end, I used cable ties throughout the seats to put the leather back together again (on the bottoms too) - worked a treat.

Unfortunately, I sheared 3 of the 4 bolts on the drivers seat bottom - maybe my brute force, but still a bit of a pain!!

I also blew an obscure fuse after installing (again, entirely my fault - nothing to do with seats)!

Thanks GSB for the guide - would not have known where to start without it. Now, going to test out the seats on the 350mile journey down south for Christmas!!

N

Chris

Quote from: "neilfitz"Hi All,

Just fitted my own set of heated seats (thanks for the supply Tem!).

Right...

The backs to my seats (car is a 51, but think seats came off a Y) were zippered - without the puller. In the end, I used cable ties throughout the seats to put the leather back together again (on the bottoms too) - worked a treat.

See my note at the end of the other fitting thread - you can use the puller from an opti sp40 zip if you want...   s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: