Crackling Speakers?

Started by Ozzy, March 14, 2018, 15:22

Ozzy

Really confused, having some sound issues with my car.

I've got Focal speakers in the doors, amp in the back and a JBL GT3-10 subwoofer mounted in the centre, behind the seats. Generally sounds pretty good but every now and then the sound goes super crackly as if they're popped but othertimes, they're perfectly fine... The driver door speaker seems to be the main one that's usually effected.

I've checked all the wiring but everything is fine. Sometimes switching the car on and off can cause this change in sound. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks.

Ozzy

Bump.

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening?
Also noticed that sometimes the sound only crackles when volume is on low but sometimes only when it's high. Makes no sense  :-\ (:< >:)

McMr2

Quote from: ossy on May 30, 2018, 12:47
Bump.

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening?
Also noticed that sometimes the sound only crackles when volume is on low but sometimes only when it's high. Makes no sense  :-\ (:< >:)

Have you tried narrowing it down to which component might have the issue - switching speaker channels, testing with another amp if you can.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

StuC

I am assuming that you have an amp.
Does it do all the speakers?

Are you using a stock head unit?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Ozzy

Yeah I've noticed that both speakers are doing this crackling problem now but at different times. So 1 day it'll be the driver side speaker and the next day, the crackling might switch to the passenger side speaker.

Also yes, I have an amp and am using an aftermarket headunit but what do you mean by switching speaker channels? Theyre not connected to the amp. I've checked and can't see anything wrong with the wiring. Usually it works and sounds great. So to go through the stuff, I have the following.

-Directed D800 amp
-JBL GT3-10 subwoofer
-JVC double din headunit
-Focal door speakers
(not connected to the amp)

Someone also suggested it may be a dodgy battery or a grounding issue as my driver side headlight sometimes spazzes out and won't turn on for hours and at times, days. Not sure if that problem is related to this or not but once again, I can't see any loose wires and stuff anywhere. I used the Torque Pro app on my phone to check voltage and it was around 13.8 - 14.

StuC

When you said it switched, my mind went to grounding issues. Especially with the headlamp issue. I dont believe they are connected, but it does highlight there might be something up with other earth points.

Are you using RCA leads for the amp signal? Has the head unit got a designated sub woofer channel?
If not, I was going to suggest running the door feeds through the amplifier as a way of eliminating the headunit or speakers.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Ozzy

Yep, using correct wires and connections. Everything is definatly connected properly.

It's strange because the speakers sound spot on 95% of the time. The crackling issue isn't majorily loud but annoying and makes the speakers sound more like if they were stock again.

I do suspect a grounding issue as well but can't see anything not connected properly.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ossy on June  2, 2018, 18:16
Yep, using correct wires and connections. Everything is definatly connected properly.

It's strange because the speakers sound spot on 95% of the time. The crackling issue isn't majorily loud but annoying and makes the speakers sound more like if they were stock again.

I do suspect a grounding issue as well but can't see anything not connected properly.
Is it on all outputs from the HU? Cd and everything? I'm sure there's a suppressor on the engine that's supposed to prevent interference, bit of a long shot but you never know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tags: