TDM 2004 Sable V6

Started by Topdownman, March 18, 2018, 11:32

Ardent

Rather like those. On my long term radar for when i can afford a 100k miles second hand one.

Topdownman

There is a valve spring recall on the early 86s so the engine has to come out to replace them with different springs.

The V6 had valve stem guides that were like plastic and glazed bores. The heads are being skimmed and pressure tested, the bores will be honed with new rings and new valve stem seals. The card head gaskets will be replaced with metal ones.

Hopefully will be finished soon and then all should be good I hope!

Yes, its a 1-8 corolla cvt. Its not the worst courtesy car I've had and feels reasonably quickish for 10.9 to 62. Not sure on the steering though!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

I'll be taking steps to try and reduce the noxious output from mine too in time for this season, I appreciate it can't be pleasant traveling behind me at times 😂.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 25, 2020, 12:49I'll be taking steps to try and reduce the noxious output from mine too in time for this season, I appreciate it can't be pleasant traveling behind me at times 😂.

Are we still talking about the car?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Quote from: Topdownman on January 25, 2020, 13:42
Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 25, 2020, 12:49I'll be taking steps to try and reduce the noxious output from mine too in time for this season, I appreciate it can't be pleasant traveling behind me at times 😂.

Stellar work. Hilarious  ;D
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Call the midlife!

Quote from: househead on January 25, 2020, 13:50

Quote from: househead on January 25, 2020, 13:50

I put them down, he picks them up 🤓

Ardent

Quote from: Topdownman on January 25, 2020, 12:29Yes, its a 1-8 corolla cvt. Its not the worst courtesy car I've had and feels reasonably quickish for 10.9 to 62. Not sure on the steering though!
Will be looking for s 2.0L when the time 8s 0-60

Topdownman

Quote from: Ardent on January 25, 2020, 16:09
Quote from: Topdownman on January 25, 2020, 12:29Yes, its a 1-8 corolla cvt. Its not the worst courtesy car I've had and feels reasonably quickish for 10.9 to 62. Not sure on the steering though!
Will be looking for s 2.0L when the time 8s 0-60

That was what I was hoping I would get but alas, no. Much better, 50% more bhp for 10% increase in capacity.

Interesting the way the engine cuts in and out while driving. Would be no good with a sports exhaust though!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

Have you done a full throttle launch to fully employ the elec and ICE motors.

The 0-60 is nothing special, but I did find on the prius (1.5) if you planted it,  it would unleash the secret 400nm of torque.
Which made 0-30 0-40 rather impressive as the delivery is linear via the cvt.

Topdownman

Not got round to searching for the ludacris setting yet!

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

You'll find it under your right foot. ;)

Topdownman

Quote from: Ardent on January 25, 2020, 20:23You'll find it under your right foot. ;)

The corolla has gone home and a very clean 86 is back on the drive.

It turns out it is the sport button you need, Jason. This setting is the one that uses the electric motor as well for performance. The eco setting seemed very pointless and is probably there just for thieves to drive off in your car without waking you up as I couldnt get more than a few metres before the engine kicked in. The CVT was fine, much better than the last one I drove some years ago. I dont think the 1.8 would be great for long motorway driving and more suited to town really, its quite noisy at speed. Overall though, felt much quicker than the figures would suggest. The horrible steering was largely down to the lane departure so once that was off, it was better.

I imagine the 2.0 could be quite fun.

Anyway, the 2 is nearly ready too, just waiting for a new sports cat to be ordered and fitted so hopefully that will be home too in the next couple of weeks  8)
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

Overall though, felt much quicker than the figures would suggest.

Indeed. Certainly up to 30 40 in town quite sprightly.

The truth is, that's the vast majority of my driving.

Call the midlife!

shnazzle

That's a lot of car work Simon. 
Really hope the v6 is bullet proof now. 
Although, you still do a lot of miles in it don't you?
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

I am hoping the car will be finally sorted once its back although I wont be surprised if I need some new AFR sensors as well.

Not too many miles last year as I had to take the 86 to Scotland due to some issues with the 2 and it has been away some time too but hopefully will rack up some more soon!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Topdownman

As many of you will know, my car has been burning oil for some time and the plan had been to strip it down and investigate when I could find somewhere I trusted to do it. I wanted someone who knew MR2s and who wasnt going to be fazed by a frankenstein V6 conversion.

So last year, with awesome help from Paul (Puma2), I dropped the car off at MrTwo's in Willenhall to wait for a space on his long term ramp (its cheaper!) to have the engine taken out and stripped down. The plan was to then do whatever was needed.

The good news was that nothing unexpected was found or needed. The heads were sent away to be skimmed, pressure tested, the valves reseated and new valve stem seals fitted.

The valve stem seals were "like plastic" so this was one of the expected culprits for the oil burning. The other one was the bores/ rings. The bores were glazed.

So the bores were honed.

The pistons were cleaned up.

And new rings were fitted.

Then all built back up

With the cardboard head gaskets replaced with nice multi layer ones.

So while I was having all this work done, it made sense to have all the stash of parts I had been building up fitted.

These were;

New steering UJ.

Front wishbones and droplinks.

The exhaust actually needed welding anyway so made sense to have a new 200 cell sports cat fitted whilst it was all apart so a new Magnaflow one has gone on.

Not sure what I am looking for inside the old cat, no obstructions but quite black in there.

Also had new brake fluid too and the suspension raised by 4mm all round.

Still got to put it all back together, run it in and have a geo done but I hope now it will finally be sorted!

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Thanks for taking the time to share the photos, interesting to see the lump out of the bay. Exciting times..

Topdownman

So, nice bumpers back on now.

The front one was a little more damaged than expected once the rubber strip came off.

The rubber strip was also in need of replacement as it had been ripped many times and had a few temporary repairs before as well so a new one was in order.

So I repaired the bumper with fibreglass but have not even attempted to finish it well but left it in resin. When I next have some paintwork done I will think about flatting and filling it then but I dont want to drive around with filler on for months. I also replaced the front mesh as the old was looking, well, old. For the rear bumper I sprayed some rattle can lacquer on the black trim, not sure if it will last long but looks nice and glossy for now at least.

I have tried attaching the new rubber strip with trim clips which look better than the screws I used last time. Not sure how they will cope with the first "kerb strike" but they look good for now!

I have increased the damping slightly and hopefully will get the alignment done on saturday. Then just need to find time to drive it.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Wow, I thought mine was low, you're mowing the grass with that one :D
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Topdownman

I suspect my front garden is making it look lower than it is on an actual road!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

ayresyboy

Good work!  When the Roadster is all back up n running will the GT86 get sold? Andy
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

Topdownman

Thanks Andy, yes, its coming along. I had the tracking done yesterday but just need to get some miles on it to run it in but thats proving difficult at the minute!

I think the 86 is likely to go at some point within the next year once the 2 is fully sorted.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Topdownman

I have recently changed the tyres from AD08r to AD08rs, (195/50r15  and 225/45r16) at just over 95k so will see how they do for wear etc.

I have only done abour 50ish miles so far on the day I had them fitted so could still be wearing off the release compound but I felt confident on them on the drive home. The only other observation so far was a slight tyre squeal moving off quickish which I dont think I would have had on the 08s but early days yet.

Choosing tyres is now getting to be a really difficult decision!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Topdownman

Thought it was about time I updated my avatar to a more recent picture!

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: