Amp Bridging Query

Started by Daxed, May 15, 2018, 13:50

Daxed

Hi all,

Could somebody take the time out to assist with an amp/component speaker install.

I'm going to be using Pioneer speakers TS-E171CI,  powered from a small Pioneer amp TS-E171CI. I bought a 4 channel to provide flexibility with regard to possible future rear speakers with the intention of an initial bridge to the door speakers.

The manual however has what seems to me to be a warning against what I had planned.

Could someone through some light as I don't understand the warning.

Thanks

SteveJ

Except you won't be wiring 2 speakers in parallel like the diagram - you will be using one pair of channels bridged to drive one speaker and the other pair to drive the other speaker, assuming the amp can be configured in that way - maybe post up the model of the amp and we can make an educated guess (the model number in your post is the same for speakers & amp and refers to speakers only)

Daxed

Ah, thanks Steve,
My cut & paste abilities seem to have gone awry.
Amplifier is a Pioneer GM-D1004

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D1004

Manual https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/GM-D1004_OwnersManual062716.pdf

What you have said makes immediate sense.

Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers,

Steve

vx220

Roughly speaking, driving two speakers in parallel on one channel doubles the power, and bridging an amp also gives double the power (so this amp goes from 45w a channel to 90w, albeit only two channels instead of four) but most amps can't do both at once (not usually enough juice from the power supply)

As you're using the amp to drive a component set, the tweeter is technically in parallel, but takes such a small amount of power compared to the woofer that it won't affect the impedance shown to the amplifier

Good amp btw, I use mine 4x45w to drive my front stage actively. If your head unit allows this, I'd recommend that over bridging any day

Daxed

Cheers for that, but WAY out of my depth.

Had a quick Google of active/passive setups and was directed to a highly technical audio forum to see you posting there on this very subject. I also didn't understand a word that was said there either.

So is it ok to bridge with this amp, providing 2 90w channels to drive the 4ohm speakers previously linked to?

Sorry for the simplicity and thanks for the help.

Oh almost forgot, the headunit is a  Pioneer MVH-AV290BT

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Things became clearer on receiving the amp yesterday evening. I was expecting twin banks of A/B F/R screw down terminals for speaker wire connection. This thing is tiny though and all connections are via small pre-wired multiplugs. It has a 2/4 channel switch and automatically bridges to 2x90w when the 2 channel mode is selected.

Have a quick question now (in case someone drops by) and no doubt loads more when I find time to progress the installation...

Are there advantages to connecting the headunit out, amp input by RCA cables os opposed to speaker input?

The speaker input seems a plug and play solution with everything supplied including the blue wire auto amp turn on, but I'm assuming the RCA ports are there for a reason?

Cheers again.

BahnStormer

sorry mate, not sure on solutions for that, but let me know when you're doing the install and I'll try to pop down and lend a hand.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Daxed

Cheers for that Bahn, have got myself much more clued up on installs now and have a far better idea of what is what are where it goes.
Haven't had any time available for the 2, but the 205 has to be ready for the Retro Show at Santa Pod on Sunday and a track day the week after.... So hopefully soon.
Thanks again for the kind offer.

Tags: