Keep leaving Indicators On!!

Started by Reeflodge, May 23, 2018, 10:17

Reeflodge

I want to fit a Indicator Buzzer (about £5 on ebay) to let me know I've left my indicators on.
I know they can be very loud and annoying but I really need to do this as I am forever leaving them on!

Has anyone else done this and how do you wire it in?
2000 PFL Yellow MR2 Roadster
http://www.fredwoodman.co.uk

shnazzle

I do the same. Although I think a beeper would lead me to driving the car off a cliff out of rage.

A louder "click" would be good.
...neutiquam erro.

Enjay

The click in the 2 is pretty quiet and if the indicator hasn't self-cancelled for some reason, it is sometimes difficult to notice (especially if the sun is shining on the dash making the light difficult to see too).

I think a buzzer would drive me nuts too though.  A louder click would be indeed good.

gazza1286

I've done this. Here's a link to the way I solved the issue on my Avensis. It's the same solution on the MR2 except regarding the signal. To overcome this feeds from the left and right indicators are provided by breaking into the loom near to the headlight units and feeding the wiring through the bulkhead. I'm sure it's possible to find a signal from the indicator switch but I had no wish to spend time investigating that option. The volume is now more than enough and still sounds like stock.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167053-turn-signal-indicators-too-quiet/?tab=comments#comment-1383979

StuC

Quote from: Enjay on May 23, 2018, 10:24
The click in the 2 is pretty quiet and if the indicator hasn't self-cancelled for some reason, it is sometimes difficult to notice (especially if the sun is shining on the dash making the light difficult to see too).

This ^^^^
Especially off roundabouts taking the first exit, or all the way round taking the last exit.

I had wondered about doing some digging into the self cancelling mech. Usually they are just little tangs on the rotary coupler from my previous experience. I haven;t gotten around to this yet though (7 years into ownership! ::) )
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shnazzle

The turn signal relay is very handily placed above the fog and window buttons on the front dash. By your right knee.
The green wire should be the one you want to tap into, to trigger anything to the beat of the signal
...neutiquam erro.

Enjay

Quote from: gazza1286 on May 23, 2018, 13:37
I've done this. Here's a link to the way I solved the issue on my Avensis.
Cunning.  So it's just an additional relay that does nothing other than click?  Makes sense.  I might do that at some point.  The green wire tip is useful too.

I've also got an MX-5 (current generation) and the volume of the click can be set via the car settings.  It sounds like a traditional relay but presumably at least some of it is purely synthesised rather than being the sound of a mechanical click.

Ozzy

If it's not auto cancelling properly, it may be that your stalk isn't fitted properly??

This happened to mine when I removed the stalk for something. I didn't connect something or seat it in correctly and that made it spaz out and stopped auto cancelling. Took it off and refitted it, and started working perfectly again... If I remember correctly, there was like a pivot clip thing, that needed to be seated into the holder a certain way.

Enjay

Certainly, my one is cancelling pretty much as I would expect it to.  It's situations like StuC described where the car is almost going straight when indicating (leaving a roundabout, or a very slightly curved left exit off a trunk road that I travel regularly).  So the wheel simply hasn't been turned far enough for the little tag (or whatever) to engage in the cancelling mechanism. 

Most of the time I remember to check and ensure that I cancel it manually but it is possible to forget and without hearing the tick, tick, tick of the relay, it might take a while to spot,

ilovejapcrap

i did this loads on lake tour last week

delhusband

The click in the 2 is pretty quiet and if the indicator hasn't self-cancelled for some reason, it is sometimes difficult to notice.
Yup @Call the midlife! can vouch for the fact I don't hear mine, he was forever guessing where I was trying to go on the Yorkshire run. Must be all that hair I have swishing around my ears eh John :P
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on May 25, 2018, 13:14
The click in the 2 is pretty quiet and if the indicator hasn't self-cancelled for some reason, it is sometimes difficult to notice.
Yup @Call the midlife! can vouch for the fact I don't hear mine, he was forever guessing where I was trying to go on the Yorkshire run. Must be all that hair I have swishing around my ears eh John :P
That'll be it! Similar experience following the above round the same roads and more in the Lakes, although he had earphones in so couldn't hear me beeping and shouting.
I'm always more concerned that oncoming traffic or folk waiting to pull out of junctions might assume you're turning in and have the right to pull out. Boom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

StuC

Quote from: Call the midlife!
I'm always more concerned that oncoming traffic or folk waiting to pull out of junctions might assume you're turning in and have the right to pull out. Boom!

This ^^^^^

Reeflodge

Indicator Buzzer now fitted behind the drivers seat under the storage bins so its not so load.
Works a treat I can hear it bleeping behind me even when the roof is down so no more leaving indicators on.
;)

Enjay

If you don't mind answering some questions:
What kind of effect is it?  i.e. does it just beep as the indicators flash, or is it constant? What kind of noise is it (beep, buzz, click)?  Which unit did you buy?

Reeflodge

It's a beep and is in time with the indicator not constant.
Purchased from eBay for £4.00 including instructions and scotch locks.

Fin

I went another way with mine...
I fitted very bright LED's to replace the warning bulbs in the dash. Now I have a bright blue flashing light to remind me to switch them off.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

shnazzle

My imagination is going haywire.

I now want a little speaker with a pre-programmed arduino mp3 player.
Then a relay that switches when the lights are on AND the door is opened, which then triggers the arduino to loudly play
"CHECK YO LIGHTS FOO'!!"

All of that is feasible and easy...I just don't think I can get Mr. T to do the voice on my budget
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on May 29, 2018, 20:28

Then a relay that switches when the lights are on AND the door is opened, which then triggers the arduino to loudly play
"CHECK YO LIGHTS FOO'!!"

All of that is feasible and easy...I just don't think I can get Mr. T to do the voice on my budget
There's a clip on YouTube of a bloke who replaces one of his warning buzzers with a box that plays Africa by Toto.
I'd just end up singing along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

StuC

Quote from: shnazzle on May 29, 2018, 20:28

"CHECK YO LIGHTS FOO'!!"

I am sure something can be cobbled together. I am sure that almost no mischief would be played in the development of that for you! ;)

Gibla

Quote from: Reeflodge on May 29, 2018, 18:50It's a beep and is in time with the indicator not constant.
Purchased from eBay for £4.00 including instructions and scotch locks.

I realise this convo was getting on for 4 yrs ago, but would like some extra info if possible @Reeflodge

You have sited the indicator buzzer behind the drivers seat with the aid of some bits n pieces off e-bay.....could you itemise + give a true 'idiots guide' please
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Alex Knight

I just look at the indicator lights on the dash 🤷🏻�♂️

Gibla

Mods :- please remove my reply that was made in error
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Tags: