Nicer looking engine - easily

Started by mark1307, May 24, 2018, 10:38

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Ardent on January 11, 2020, 13:08As vanilla as Mr T intended.
You cannot view this attachment.
Is the plate over the manifold a standard TTE thing? I noticed Greg has the same.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

Heat shield. Turbo sits underneath.
I reckon you could do a steak on it.
Not going to try though.

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Smithy

looking quite stock at the moment
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Call the midlife!

Nice and clean that, just needs some red...👍🏻

Ardent

Ardent

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 11, 2020, 19:16Nice and clean that, just needs some red...👍🏻
And blue and gold and yellow. ;)

Smithy

think I may go black and silver/ stainless steel or a little dash of red?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Smithy

stopped off at a pub on the way home from work yesterday, as I walked past this group of blokes one said "nice car mate what is it" 20 mins later they probably regret asking me. I was reeling off all sorts of MR2 facts, that's all down to you lot and this forum. you have broken me ha ha.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

They soon get under your skin. In a good way.

I appreciate this was probably never your intention when you bought it.
But by default you have bought in to quite an exclusive club.

As demonstrated by your post. Group of lads, what is it?
How old were they?

Had it myself. Kids below a certain age have never seen one. To them it is new.
You can read their faces. The design was right and it still looks right. Not dated.

That's why we have the spotted thread, you will see far more exclusively priced cars than you will see 2s.
I see more Bentley's Lamborghini and Maserati than I do 2s.

Exclusivity.

Ardent

Quote from: Smithy on January 11, 2020, 18:48looking quite stock at the moment
Would be a whole heap of work. But I like things stock, clean and shiny.

I think the heat shield removed and polished up would look the puppies privates.

But a lot of work. Thats after the potential hazards of bolt snapping in removing it. Not to mention upsetting the O2 sensors. They do look new though.

Topdownman

I was looking out of my front window one time as a couple of lads, maybe 13/14 walked past. I saw one of them as he saw my car and he put his hand out on his mates chest and stopped him dead to look at the car. After a few seconds he walked down my drive trying to see the badges on it.

Proper made me smile!

(I wonder if he ever managed to identity it?).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Smithy

Quote from: Ardent on January 11, 2020, 21:44

I think the heat shield removed and polished up would look the puppies privates.

But a lot of work. Thats after the potential hazards of bolt snapping in removing it. Not to mention upsetting the O2 sensors. They do look new though.
Is it aluminium then or tin? Will it polish up? Is was thinking about painting it black
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

I always thought it was ali. Never even considered tin.

Paint would we easier and quicker. But use the right paint. Does get a bit toasty.
Possibly wrap it while you are there. Not that I ever have.

Will let the modders comment on things heat shields and paint. I've no experience.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Smithy on January 11, 2020, 22:25

Is it aluminium then or tin? Will it polish up? Is was thinking about painting it black
It won't really polish without a massive amount of effort but will come up nicely with caliper paint, I did mine blue but it still discoloured a bit from the heat.

Ardent

@Smithy
Re post 62.
I missed the second question, even though I answered it before you asked and confirmed by @Call the midlife!
It will polish up, but a lot elbow grease is required.

I was going the polish route as measn of dodging the potential paint issues.

Edit
If you can get it off and load up  bench grinder with a mop wheel or something that would save a lot time and effort.

Smithy

Oh sorry Jason. I'm as new to forums as I am to MR2s
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

@Smithy

I tend to type as I would talk. Which does not always convey as it might. No apologies required.
We (the forum) have recently been down this path. Cold text on a screen carries no emotion.

What was meant and what was perceived can be very different.

Do you happen to have Tuesdays Euro millions numbers?

As well as picking up a spanking 2 you have also picked one of the friendliest forums that exist.

As a heads up, don't be surprised if some of the jealous types refer to our sacred Sables as "dirty silver" :)

Smithy

Quote from: Ardent on January 11, 2020, 23:57@Smithy

I tend to type as I would talk. Which does not always convey as it might. No apologies required.
We (the forum) have recently been down this path. Cold text on a screen carries no emotion.

What was meant and what was perceived can be very different.

Do you happen to have Tuesdays Euro millions numbers?

As well as picking up a spanking 2 you have also picked one of the friendliest forums that exist.

As a heads up, don't be surprised if some of the jealous types refer to our sacred Sables as "dirty silver" :)

[/quote
All good here mate totally understand. I'm enjoying my new  found friends
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

I may well have managed to transpose 2 new 2 owners and their cars.

I'm talking about dirty Silvers and you have a very dirty Silver, so dirty in fact, it's black.

How did that happen?
Age? no comment
Time of day? hmmm?
Grape juice? nope fruit n veg supposed to improve brain function cannot be that.

Topdownman

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 11, 2020, 22:40
Quote from: Smithy on January 11, 2020, 22:25

It won't really polish without a massive amount of effort but will come up nicely with caliper paint, I did mine blue but it still discoloured a bit from the heat.

Not enough....

Just sayin,  ;D
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on January 11, 2020, 21:44Would be a whole heap of work. But I like things stock, clean and shiny.

It´s steel and can´t be that much hassle. No need to upset the O2 sensor I think.
Would polish nicely and I´d ´blue´ it with a flame just like I did my gun barrels. Almost a magical thing btw.; übercool to do and see.

But then what I ´would´ do is academic and of no importance. I woud better attend to my own MR :-)

Smithy

can anyone tell me please the size of the two bolts that hold the top plastic cover on?
the back ones are ok but the previous owner has snapped off the front two.
many thanks
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Carolyn

Quote from: Smithy on March 25, 2020, 14:31
can anyone tell me please the size of the two bolts that hold the top plastic cover on?
the back ones are ok but the previous owner has snapped off the front two.
many thanks

Normally they are nasty little plastic things.  They are always snapped off!  I replace them with M6 x 1.5 10 - 15 mm long.  There's a couple of little nipples on the cover that prevent the heads seating nicely.  I take a Stanley knife blade to them.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Tags: