New head unit install

Started by Eddie, May 27, 2018, 17:04

Eddie

I've just installed a JVC KW-M730BT head unit in my FL
It all went surprisingly well.
Some observations and learned tips.
Before you start, remove the CD from your existing hu. (I remembered before installing the new one)
The screws are in very tight, easy to chew up without the absolutely correct screwdriver.
Likewise, the screws into the old head unit are best removed with a socket.
I got a set of spacers off of eBay, one needed the back inch cutting off due to it hitting something. These were L shaped ones.
You don't need the cage supplied with the new head unit. You do need the brackets off the old one. These go under the black plastic spacers.
The head unit controls the electric antenna out of the box.
To set up android auto you need to short the handbrake switch wire to complete setup.
I chose this one as it was the cheapest one with android auto without lots of issues reported on Amazon.
Approx £300.

mr2stuff

Thanks for the tips, how does the headunit sound with the stock speakers?
MR2 in Blue.
TTE Exhaust
Markiii Pipe

Eddie

Quote from: mr2stuff on May 27, 2018, 21:33
Thanks for the tips, how does the headunit sound with the stock speakers?

Sounds ok, but I've only tested it with the roof down.
I think I'll add a sub at some point to go under the dash.

Enjay

Another tip that is maybe worth mentioning:

The screw covers on the silver plastic ends of the centre console uprights are fake and are part of the moulded plastic bit which just pops off complete.

These:

I'm sure most people here will know this already but I've seen so many of these with screwdriver marks from people trying to prize the fake screw covers off that it's worth saying again.

shnazzle

Good point! I've always taken it for granted that it's obvious it's one plastic mold.

A lot to be said for the look of nothing in there.
I have considered getting rid of it all and hiding a small amp with Bluetooth receiver.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: