what am i missing? Double Din Sterro

Started by conrank, July 5, 2018, 07:28

conrank

Hey guys,

So it seems im missing something. This is how it was when i bought the car, but obviously the metal is showing and it looks bodged. What can i buy to sort this?

Thanks

C
Black on Black 2003 MK3

Call the midlife!

You need a PFL facia plate and possibly the HU setting a little bit further into the hole, or that could be the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

conrank

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July  5, 2018, 07:30
You need a PFL facia plate and possibly the HU setting a little bit further into the hole, or that could be the photo.

Thanks... 

Just been searching for one, but can only find single DIN, btw its a 2003 FL.
Black on Black 2003 MK3

Call the midlife!

Sorry, I should've pointed out really that you're better off asking one of our affiliate breakers as they're sometimes like Unicorn poo to get hold of.
They're not an off the shelf item, only available second hand so try Dean Rozier (Rutland MR2) or Mr Sloan. Or try a wanted ad on here, one sold in the Ding Day auction for around £25 which is about the average price.
If and when you get one you might find you can mount the HU a hole further back in the side plates too.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: conrank on July  5, 2018, 08:18

Thanks... 

Re the PFL/FL the facias are different but normally you'd need a PFL to go round an aftermarket head unit, regardless of which car you have.
Someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong though.[emoji2]

ManInDandism

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July  5, 2018, 08:43
Quote from: conrank on July  5, 2018, 08:18

Thanks... 

Re the PFL/FL the facias are different but normally you'd need a PFL to go round an aftermarket head unit, regardless of which car you have.
Someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong though.[emoji2]

Em - yes they will  :)

Here's an eBay listing of a FL head unit The lighter grey surround is the trim piece that you require.  My own car came with just a hole in the dash as previous owner removed the stereo prior to sale.  So having fitted a double din unit, I was left in the same position as you.  I sourced mine by asking someone who was breaking a car on eBay.  The heater controls etc. need to come off in order for ito be fitted as it clips into two small recesses just beneath it.

Also, the factory stereo is slightly wider than a standard unit you also need this to fill in the small gaps between the trim and the edge of the head unit.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

conrank

Thanks all! Ordered the part from Dean Roizer! Should arrive in a few days! Awesome :)
Black on Black 2003 MK3

normanh

I have the same set and dont have that problem, it fits pretty good and with a bit of velcro the panel from the original Sont now fits.

Norman

benjamino

I have a single din unit I'd like to put in instead of the FL double one. Will the hole I'm left with be a double DIN? So I'd need the side spacers posted above as well as a single din pocket of some sort for the space below the stereo?

ManInDandism

Quote from: benjamino on December  3, 2018, 22:44
I have a single din unit I'd like to put in instead of the FL double one. Will the hole I'm left with be a double DIN? So I'd need the side spacers posted above as well as a single din pocket of some sort for the space below the stereo?

You'll need a single din adapter which will be MR2-specific.  This will include the pocket and, as specifically designed for the car, should also take care of the space at the side. Probably some photos on here or via Google I'd have thought.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Davey P

I've got the same problem, but mine has got a single DIN head unit badly fitted.  Apparently the original Toyota fascia surround is missing, which seems like a fairly common issue, and it's just a question of finding one from a scrapped car.

Tags: