License plate upgrade

Started by conrank, July 17, 2018, 01:27

conrank

Thinking about changing my plate from the standard one. Was initially thinking square black with white/silver lettering, or at least square. Would a square one fit exactly where the original ones (front & back) goes, or is there things that would need doing? Was also thinking about a stick on plate on the front bonnet, would there be annoying holes etc if I was to get rid of the front plate completely?
Black on Black 2003 MK3

Ardent

On the rear you will need infills for a sq plate. Have part numbers at home.
I have stick on on front.
Yes couple of holes that need filling for a smooth look.
I hate the bogo front plate holder. Completely spoils the line of the grill area.

conrank

Quote from: Ardent on July 17, 2018, 09:54
On the rear you will need infills for a sq plate. Have part numbers at home.
I have stick on on front.
Yes couple of holes that need filling for a smooth look.
I hate the bogo front plate holder. Completely spoils the line of the grill area.

100% agree!!! Do the stick on ones damage The paintwork. Also, could you post a pic? Would love to see!
Black on Black 2003 MK3

dan944

I hated the plate holder and this is the best I could come up with. It's a metal plate. Still reflective so still legal tender(ish).
But I also swapped to a PFL front number as I preferred it.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Ardent

Front wise. Mine is the 1st pic here.
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=65246.msg765370#msg765370

Scroll down next is Bernie showing sq rear with bling.

Ardent

Ardent

infil part numbers
T52163-17020
T52164-17020

Ardent

Bernie

On the front yes there are 2 holes where the holder fixes I went with a 3m Dual Lock tape and a legal size letters cut down plate stuck on

Rear is Jap size with Zunsport grilles

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Ardent

dn

Quote from: Ardent on July 17, 2018, 19:52
infil part numbers
T52163-17020
T52164-17020

Any idea where to source these? Toyota UK parts centres carry them?

Ones on eBay are rather expensive!

Ardent

Got mine from toyota.
They are expensive for what they are.
But would look poo without them.
£11.50ea from memory.

dn

Quote from: Ardent on September 19, 2018, 12:27
Got mine from toyota.
£11.50ea from memory.

Lovely, thanks! I ordered a set from Toyota, just under £30 inc tax - picking up tomorrow hopefully.

Do you happen to know the size of the rear plate you have, and the size of the lettering?

Carolyn

Problem is that these cars were not designed to have a front number plate.

There IS a genuine Toyota solution, though.

It's called a TRD stage 2 bumper.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Quote from: dn on September 29, 2018, 02:25
Quote from: Ardent on September 19, 2018, 12:27
Got mine from toyota.
£11.50ea from memory.

Lovely, thanks! I ordered a set from Toyota, just under £30 inc tax - picking up tomorrow hopefully.

Do you happen to know the size of the rear plate you have, and the size of the lettering?
13x7" stock Uk lettering.
Would have preferred the Japanese font but could not source at the time.

Smithy

Quote from: Ardent on July 17, 2018, 20:04Some different views
http://jason-addison--street-life.blogspot.com/2016/04/mr2-leica-m9-summitar-bokeh.html
your car looks amazing Jason. I think you have set a benchmark for me to aim to. And I'm defiantly going to try and find the stick on front number plate and square rear plate too.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

@Smithy
Thank you for the kind words. Sabine will appreciate it.

If have read from the top you'll notice a couple of little jobs that need to be done along the way.
Couple of infills at the rear for the square plate.
And some manufacture/assembly holes to be filled at the front.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: conrank on July 17, 2018, 01:27Thinking about changing my plate from the standard one. Was initially thinking square black with white/silver lettering,

Since no-one else has said, a black plate would be illegal. Cops wouldn't like it, & it wouldn't pass an MOT.

Ardent

No doubt true.

So far have resisted.

But, would look the mutts nutts.

Smithy

I've just ordered a self adhesive front plate for Mo from POLAR AUTOMOTIVE CLASSIC NUMBER PLATES for £22.
they do a wide range of options so worth a look if your wanting a change.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

Looking forward to seeing that

Smithy

I have my new stick on front number plate. Any tips Jason for getting it on straight and without bubbles? I guess you only get one chance at it.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

I followed the instructions that came with it. I also trimmed it down as much as I dare to make it a small as possible.
As soft as they they are, there are two curves on the bumper and trying to bend a flat rectangular shape into curves too can create a Ripple or a bubble.
I made a small Mark at the top of the plate to act as the centre to helpline up with the centre badge. Although you only get one chance, that chance does last for a few seconds because you are wetting the area down with soapy water so that the plate will slide, it then really is down to just eyeing it in. Then use a credit card or something similar to work out an air bubbles.
Depending what type of plate you have, you may need to leave it for a bit before peeling off a backing paper

Smithy

Front licence plate fitted. A few bubbles that need some attention but I'm pleased with it. I didn't really like the front plate and the way it hung down over the grill. now with it higher its given Mo her smiley face back.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Tags: