That wasn't supposed to happen - USW10

Started by Justin.D, July 23, 2018, 15:58

Justin.D

As some others have done I had an In Phase USW10 mounted under the steering wheel. All nice and snug, metal brackets, spring washers or nyloc nuts. All was great until the bloody metal brackets sheared and it dropped onto my feet while slowing for a junction

Thankfully I managed to limp to a close by car park to remove said weight from my feet without incident

Anyone else with something heavy under the steering wheel please check everything is as it should be under there

Click for my Readers Ride

Joesson

I suggest you buy a Lottery ticket this week!

Justin.D

Quote from: Joesson on July 24, 2018, 09:10
I suggest you buy a Lottery ticket this week!

Agreed - all while finding a new "safer" place for said heavy item

Call the midlife!

Those "brackets" look like corner braces for lightweight timber work, my guess is they've been continually flexing from the bounce of the unit and rearranged the structure of the alloy until it gave up. I'd suggest a third one at a right angle to the others to stop the bounce and you'll be right.
And some mild steel/stainless brackets. And a retaining strap. And a cargo net underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Justin.D

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 24, 2018, 11:11
Those "brackets" look like corner braces for lightweight timber work, my guess is they've been continually flexing from the bounce of the unit and rearranged the structure of the alloy until it gave up. I'd suggest a third one at a right angle to the others to stop the bounce and you'll be right.
And some mild steel/stainless brackets. And a retaining strap. And a cargo net underneath.

Yep, that's exactly what they are - the other bits are still attached to the car. I'm also looking into a custom welded angle iron bracket

The cargo net is a blinding idea, lol

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Justin.D on July 24, 2018, 11:15
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 24, 2018, 11:11

Yep, that's exactly what they are - the other bits are still attached to the car. I'm also looking into a custom welded angle iron bracket

The cargo net is a blinding idea, lol
Good shout, ideally you just need the brackets at right angles to each other to stop the speaker swinging on them and flexing the brackets. You'd probably have got away with it even with the light alloy ones.

Topdownman

Builders band can be wrapoed round and attached to a variety of places to spread the load.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Justin.D

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 24, 2018, 11:21
Good shout, ideally you just need the brackets at right angles to each other to stop the speaker swinging on them and flexing the brackets. You'd probably have got away with it even with the light alloy ones.

I don't think I'll trust the light alloy ones again, even with additional support.

I'll come up with something, even if I do lose some space in the bins behind the seat

I'm even considering a rectangular sub instead of this one - one that's flatter to go behind a seat without losing legroom

Quote from: Topdownman on July 24, 2018, 11:42
Builders band can be wrapoed round and attached to a variety of places to spread the load.

I did consider the banding - I'm worried it'll vibrate and 'ting' though

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Topdownman on July 24, 2018, 11:42
+1 on the builders band, got yards of it on mine!

Topdownman

I finished mine off with a rubber covered luggage tie which stopped the vibration I was getting.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Justin.D

Any of you guys going to ShinDing? Perhaps I can have a look at your solutions and go from there

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Justin.D on July 24, 2018, 12:55
Any of you guys going to ShinDing? Perhaps I can have a look at your solutions and go from there
Lol. I'm scheduled to be attending and you're welcome to have a go at seeing how mine is mounted but you're going to have to be upside down in the driver's seat![emoji23]

Justin.D

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 24, 2018, 12:57
Quote from: Justin.D on July 24, 2018, 12:55
Lol. I'm scheduled to be attending and you're welcome to have a go at seeing how mine is mounted but you're going to have to be upside down in the driver's seat![emoji23]

Nice one - I'll bring the torch too. I spent enough time upside down under the steering wheel when I initially fitted mine - It'll be ok. Thanks CTM

Topdownman

I may well be at shin dingday too.

There are a couple of pictures of my set up (before the rubber tie though) on the 1st page of my readers ride although I have the kenwood sub not the inphase one.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Justin.D

These ones aren't going to break!!! I meant to fit this yesterday at ShinDing but got carried away chatting and generally having a good time

Topdownman

Are you a couple of coat hooks short in the hall now?
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Any star washers on those? I mean they shouldn't vibrate out upwards but...

Justin.D

Quote from: Topdownman on August  5, 2018, 09:40

Coat hooks. I could have used coat hooks.

I have a mate who is floor manager in an engineering shop (They make Car Transporters mainly). These are a cross section of 5mm box section

Quote from: Call the midlife! on August  5, 2018, 09:45

Spring washers - will these do instead?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Justin.D on August  5, 2018, 09:55
Quote from: Topdownman on August  5, 2018, 09:40

Coat hooks. I could have used coat hooks.

I have a mate who is floor manager in an engineering shop (They make Car Transporters mainly). These are a cross section of 5mm box section

Quote from: Call the midlife! on August  5, 2018, 09:45

Spring washers - will these do instead?
Good to go!

Tags: