Replacement key/fob

Started by SuzieC78, July 30, 2018, 13:02

SuzieC78

Needing some advice about my key. I only have a grey key which I've been told is the master key, it only works with the main locks and ignition. Its doesnt lock luggage compartments and i have to manually open each door. Is there anything i can do about this such as get a fob for central locking and somehow locking luggage areas. All help is appreciated

Treboeth

The grey key is the valet(secondary) key, you will need a black master key cut and coded which maybe expensive.
Possibly cheaper to replace the locks and ECU buying from a breaker in our Affiliates section.
Where was the car bought from, is there any chance of contacting the previous owner just in case they have the main key.

SuzieC78

Thanks, its not a major issue for me as i don't use any of the compartments. It might something i will look at in the future. I've contacted them and that was the only key they got when they got the car.

paulj

You could try your local Toyota dealer for the key code number for your car.  They gave me mine, after quoting £20 for the code then gave it to me for free when I said I wasn't interested enough to pay!

With that code you could get a master key cut from an online provider (TOY41 key blank) as many cut direct from codes, you 'd also need a new immobilliser and alarm fob insides.

.....thinking about it a new ECU and locks keys may be the easier one-off solution!!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Treboeth

Quote from: paulj on July 30, 2018, 16:02
You could try your local Toyota dealer for the key code number for your car.  They gave me mine, after quoting £20 for the code then gave it to me for free when I said I wasn't interested enough to pay!

With that code you could get a master key cut from an online provider (TOY41 key blank) as many cut direct from codes, you 'd also need a new immobilliser and alarm fob insides.

.....thinking about it a new ECU and locks keys may be the easier one-off solution!!

Good thinking Batman  ;D, I completely forgot that option  ;D

SuzieC78

Quote from: paulj on July 30, 2018, 16:02

Its not a big deal at the minute, but will take on board all advice.

Tags: