Double Din Replacement - Sony XAV AX100 - In Pictures-several post for pictures

Started by darrenjuggins, August 25, 2018, 13:30

tricky1138

Finally found a photo showing the FL surround and the infill bits.

Can't find any photos of when I had a single din one in, but I do remember it sitting at the top of area, with a cubby underneath.

If you try eBay for "mr2 single din radio adaptor" it should show up what you need, if you're sticking with the single din.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Davey P

Quote from: tricky1138 on January 16, 2019, 13:12

Can't find any photos of when I had a single din one in, but I do remember it sitting at the top of area, with a cubby underneath.

If you try eBay for "mr2 single din radio adaptor" it should show up what you need, if you're sticking with the single din.

That is perfect, thanks very much for taking the time to post this mate, I really appreciate it.

I might be tempted to change for a double DIN unit like yours at a later date now I can see how brilliant it looks, but I think my existing Pioneer unit will be good enough for now.  I haven't checked out the Bluetooth functionality yet, but if I can get the hands-free calling to work OK - and assuming I can play MP3's via a memory stick in the Aux input at the front - that will do nicely.  I generally drive without the stereo on anyway, it's just annoying to see the gaps around the head unit, so I want to get it done ASAP.  The rest of the interior is pretty clean, but this is letting it down a bit.

tricky1138

Quote from: Davey P on January 16, 2019, 14:02
Quote from: tricky1138 on January 16, 2019, 13:12

That is perfect, thanks very much for taking the time to post this mate, I really appreciate it.

I might be tempted to change for a double DIN unit like yours at a later date now I can see how brilliant it looks, but I think my existing Pioneer unit will be good enough for now.  I haven't checked out the Bluetooth functionality yet, but if I can get the hands-free calling to work OK - and assuming I can play MP3's via a memory stick in the Aux input at the front - that will do nicely.  I generally drive without the stereo on anyway, it's just annoying to see the gaps around the head unit, so I want to get it done ASAP.  The rest of the interior is pretty clean, but this is letting it down a bit.

No problem mate. Think this was the one I used for the single DIN:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-ROADSTER-CD-RADIO-STEREO-FASCIA-FACIA-PANEL-FITTING-KIT-FP-11-03/282567497281?hash=item41ca55d641:g:MJAAAOSwY3dac3QM:rk:8:pf:0

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Pleased the post is helping people (sorry if it's confusing).

If it helps I'll explain a little...

Once upon a time Toyota brought out the MR2 Roadster... in the UK all UK purchased Roadster know as PFL now came with a double din Sony unit and surround that followed its contours... looked great....

Then when they facelifted the car in 2003, they decided to put a Toyota own make unit it, it was sort of double din, but specific to Toyota....

These are commonly know as the fisher price units.... in the FL models...

Imported from Europe models came with a black space, like mine did (it was imported from Belgium).

I had a single did unit fitted (FOC) by my local Toyota dealer (very nice people)...

So I have the the single did kit from toyota, the same as shown earlier by one of the member (but with a double din in it and the pen holder removed from the bottom).

All you need to move from single din to double for a FL car is the PFL surround and the stereo as well if you can from someone like Dean or Dick, this way you get the mounting brackets and the surround... just take the old Sony Stereo out of the surround and mounts and replace it with your new unit and then fit... (like mine at the beginning of the thread).

I think people have maybe struggle or had to modify things because they just got the front surround not the mounting brackets from the original double din Sony unit (I'd be racking my brains why mine was such a straight forward install compared to others and I think that is why, as I got the PFL surround with the stereo from Dean as opposed to just the surround).

I hope this helps to explain things ?

Having the double din in makes a huge difference in terms of looks and with car play it just makes the unit a dream to use....

Hope this makes sense, I've written on my mobile so apologies if I've made some errors.

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

tricky1138

Totally makes sense and sorry if we've hijacked your thread.

How are you getting on with your radio after a few days of use?

I'm totally considering getting one, but just wondering how you find it in day to day use, as a few have complained that the screen is too low to see and operate?

darrenjuggins

Hi,

I've had mine in since middle of last year, I think the other poster on the thread has recently fitted his unit, which is a similar model.

My experience is it's brilliant, I found it that good I bought another one and fitted it to my Civic Type R (FN2).

I ran the lead into the glove box (drilled a small hole) so just connect the phone and up pops Car Play for me....

Mapping is great now with Waze, Apple Maps and Google Maps working....

The big buttons offered by car play allow easy low distraction use...

I use BBC Radio Player, Tunein Radio Apple Music plus any other Car Play enables App I can find....

The unit is very cleared, I can discount halfway through listening to a show on Radio Player and when I plug back in, it remembers and carry's on (it's like magic).

As for the position, I don't mind it, with the physical volume button and the big buttons on screen it works fine.

The addition of the Stalk remote (good luck finding a used one) it's even better as you can control volume, track selection, att (sound reduction) and many other features in a multi function stalk (unfortunately this isn't included)

As for price - £300 for my model and now they have added / modified the range, like the one the other poster has included....

Check out amazon, £300 for the unit is a steal compared to its original price.

It's also got some power, so works great combined with good speakers and the correct sound insulation... the MR2 has never had great acoustics, but with a little bit of patience and padding, they can sound nice.

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

tricky1138

Quote from: darrenjuggins on January 16, 2019, 15:39
Hi,

I've had mine in since middle of last year, I think the other poster on the thread has recently fitted his unit, which is a similar model.

My experience is it's brilliant, I found it that good I bought another one and fitted it to my Civic Type R (FN2).

I ran the lead into the glove box (drilled a small hole) so just connect the phone and up pops Car Play for me....

Mapping is great now with Waze, Apple Maps and Google Maps working....

The big buttons offered by car play allow easy low distraction use...

I use BBC Radio Player, Tunein Radio Apple Music plus any other Car Play enables App I can find....

The unit is very cleared, I can discount halfway through listening to a show on Radio Player and when I plug back in, it remembers and carry's on (it's like magic).

As for the position, I don't mind it, with the physical volume button and the big buttons on screen it works fine.

The addition of the Stalk remote (good luck finding a used one) it's even better as you can control volume, track selection, att (sound reduction) and many other features in a multi function stalk (unfortunately this isn't included)

As for price - £300 for my model and now they have added / modified the range, like the one the other poster has included....

Check out amazon, £300 for the unit is a steal compared to its original price.

It's also got some power, so works great combined with good speakers and the correct sound insulation... the MR2 has never had great acoustics, but with a little bit of patience and padding, they can sound nice.

Cheers
Darren

Thanks for the great reply.

I'd be using Android Auto, so hoping that is as as good as Car Play, things like Google Maps and Waze are the main reasons for looking at it.

As it happens I picked up a remote commander off here not so long ago, as my current double din is a Sony.

Also have my doors sound deadened, but must still get round to new speakers!

Thanks again - its on the Christmas list!  :o

moredun

I managed to fit a 7" screen in my pfl, also got the rearview and dashcam to go with it. I like the fact you can set up the dashcam to start recording as soon as the ingnition is powered on.

Being an android device, your not short for apps  ;D
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

Tags: