Apple Car Play - The Reasons why you should consider - especially with IOS12...

Started by darrenjuggins, September 24, 2018, 12:29

darrenjuggins

Morning All,

Thought i'd just open a post of Car Play - I replaced my head unit earlier this year with a Sony unit compatible with Apple Car Play and Android Auto...

£300, for a head unit i considered reasonable compared to some units i've had in the past over the years and was keen to utilise Apple Car Play, to make it safer for me to take the odd call if I really needed to and to utilise all the music I have.

The other bonus is the ability to listen to Digital Radio, via Data, saving me the need to rely on a poor FM signal or retrofit a DAB Radio, which I wasn't too keen on..

I've been blown away by the usability of unit and also the updates both Sony and now Apple have done to car play...

Whilst it's always been possible to use Apple Maps on Car play, the advent of IOS12 has allowed third party mapping applications - we already have Google Maps and soon Waze will be available with hopefully Tom Tom coming early in the new year....

So what may seem an expensive head unit to some, actually is a very inexpensive way to play music, radio, audio books, take and make calls and also route yourself all over the country.

If your considering a head unit replacement for any of your cars, MR2 or other, then ensure it's Apple Car Play and Android Auto Ready.

Take a look at my other post about the Double Din install of the Sony unit I refer to above.

Kindest Regards
Darren

Darren A. Juggins

Essex2Visuvesi

Got an Apple Car Play head unit in the A4.... bloody brilliant, tho the original Audi Head (RNS-E) unit was not too shabby considering it was almost 13 years old

jvanzyl

Quote from: Essex2Visuvesi on September 25, 2018, 23:26
Got an Apple Car Play head unit in the A4.... bloody brilliant, tho the original Audi Head (RNS-E) unit was not too shabby considering it was almost 13 years old
I do like my rnse..it is old, but I've had it reprogrammed to take an aux in connection... so it does the job.

I do like the idea of upgrading though.. do parking sensor displays still work when you upgrade?

BahnStormer

Quote from: jvanzyl on September 26, 2018, 22:00
Quote from: Essex2Visuvesi on September 25, 2018, 23:26
I do like my rnse..it is old, but I've had it reprogrammed to take an aux in connection... so it does the job.

I do like the idea of upgrading though.. do parking sensor displays still work when you upgrade?

J - we're getting a little off the MR2 topic, but if you want some ideas for RNSE upgrades, then look up HazzyDayz - only up the road from you, the other side of Hemel: In my old B6 (Audi A4) I had them retrofit an RNSE and a Freeview+ tuner (mounted behind the dash/glove-box, presenting a USB data socket, 2x Aux video+audio lines in)... they also did the R8 steering wheel and ALL the bluetooth / voice control add-ons you could imagine, cruise control and a few other bits.... that said, the best headunit swap for an older B6-gen A4/S4 would probably have to be the Seat Exeo from ~2010-2013 - it's a direct swap for an RNS - essentially the same unit though: so the car can still be recoded on VCDS so that all the DIS information maps through and the Exeo headunit is a LOT newer with a higher res screen and takes 32Gb SDHC cards - the RNSE was limited to 2Gb SD (non-HC) or the uber-rare 4Gb NON-HC versions...

Here's mine (RNSE), even though the car was a very early B6:

I got rid of the car ~6yrs ago, but it's still on the road and has >200k miles on it now...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Alex Knight

Quote from: darrenjuggins on September 24, 2018, 12:29
Morning All,

Thought i'd just open a post of Car Play - I replaced my head unit earlier this year with a Sony unit compatible with Apple Car Play and Android Auto...

£300, for a head unit i considered reasonable compared to some units i've had in the past over the years and was keen to utilise Apple Car Play, to make it safer for me to take the odd call if I really needed to and to utilise all the music I have.

The other bonus is the ability to listen to Digital Radio, via Data, saving me the need to rely on a poor FM signal or retrofit a DAB Radio, which I wasn't too keen on..

I've been blown away by the usability of unit and also the updates both Sony and now Apple have done to car play...

Whilst it's always been possible to use Apple Maps on Car play, the advent of IOS12 has allowed third party mapping applications - we already have Google Maps and soon Waze will be available with hopefully Tom Tom coming early in the new year....

So what may seem an expensive head unit to some, actually is a very inexpensive way to play music, radio, audio books, take and make calls and also route yourself all over the country.

If your considering a head unit replacement for any of your cars, MR2 or other, then ensure it's Apple Car Play and Android Auto Ready.

Take a look at my other post about the Double Din install of the Sony unit I refer to above.

Kindest Regards
Darren

Couldn't agree more. Apple CarPlay has been a revelation for me. It's an accessible and reasonably priced all-in-one solution for music, calls and navigation, without any additional aerials etc as you say.

I'm using a Pioneer SPH DA120, which is currently £280 here:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-sph-da120-apple-carplay-compatible-with-large-6-2-inch-capacitive-touch-screen-gps-bluetooth-android-iphone-and-mirrorlink-also-supports-appradio-mode

tom256

Quote from: Alex Knight on October 20, 2018, 21:45
Morning All,

Kindest Regards
Darren

Couldn't agree more. Apple CarPlay has been a revelation for me. It's an accessible and reasonably priced all-in-one solution for music, calls and navigation, without any additional aerials etc as you say.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-sph-da120-apple-carplay-compatible-with-large-6-2-inch-capacitive-touch-screen-gps-bluetooth-android-iphone-and-mirrorlink-also-supports-appradio-mode

Does Pioneer fit to MR2 without modification? I have now Pumpkin with Android 8 and it looks bad.

https://imgur.com/a/qE6seXb
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

Alex Knight

Quote from: tom256 on October 24, 2018, 18:42
Quote from: Alex Knight on October 20, 2018, 21:45
Morning All,

Kindest Regards
Darren

Does Pioneer fit to MR2 without modification? I have now Pumpkin with Android 8 and it looks bad.

Yes, standard double DIN size.

https://imgur.com/a/qE6seXb

Tags: