Replace Cigarette Lighter with USB ports?

Started by chrismscotland, October 21, 2018, 19:06

chrismscotland

I'm guessing like most folk I never use the cigarette lighter for anything but power and currently have a USB hub type charger which uses it, however its a bit of a pain as there isn't a huge amount of room.

I was thinking that replacing the lighter completely would be an idea, although that would prevent using it for a tyre compressor, but surely there must be a tiny USB "plug" these days?

dan944

Quote from: chrismscotland on October 21, 2018, 19:06
I'm guessing like most folk I never use the cigarette lighter for anything but power and currently have a USB hub type charger which uses it, however its a bit of a pain as there isn't a huge amount of room.

I was thinking that replacing the lighter completely would be an idea, although that would prevent using it for a tyre compressor, but surely there must be a tiny USB "plug" these days?
I like this idea. You could always modify a usb plug and locate it where the cigarette lighter goes but run it in parallel (electrically) to the cigarette lighter and have this tucked away behind.

You can just whip it out if you need it then.

It's likely that I will be stealing this idea by the way. But I've let you know,  and I'll reference you, so that's not stealing ;)
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Call the midlife!

There's a few people have replaced the spare/blank left of the steering wheel with a double USB socket. It's not somewhere I'd want cables trailing so I've put a joint cig lighter and USB socket in the passenger footwell kickboard. The youth uses it when we're on the road, m'Iphone charges through the USB in the head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

ManInDandism

Tons of USB adaptors available that just plug directly into the cigarette lighter and are as cheap as chips.  I paid £3.00 fora double that sits flush in the socket.  Go look on eBay, Amazon, etc. - can't think that it needs to be any more complicated than that! 
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Ozzy

Quote from: ManInDandism on October 21, 2018, 21:29
Tons of USB adaptors available that just plug directly into the cigarette lighter and are as cheap as chips.  I paid £3.00 fora double that sits flush in the socket.  Go look on eBay, Amazon, etc. - can't think that it needs to be any more complicated than that!

Yup, what he said.

I got mine off ebay aswell. I'd recommend getting the one called GRIFFIN Compact Twin USB. It's super small and compact. Doesn't stick out or anything and has a nice flush look. Only costs 2-3 quid.

Not the best pic but too lazy to go outside lol.

Tags: