Best place for 12v continuous and ignition in the frunk

Started by benjamino, November 12, 2018, 11:51

benjamino

I'm wiring in some OSRAM LED driving fog/DRLs and they need a constant 12v connection as well as an ignition connection. I notice in the walkthrough on here for the other kind of drl fogs, they suggest tapping into one of wiper motor wires. I'm not sure if that is constant or ignition only power though.

On my car I see two empty relay connectors in the frunk fuse box. They are marked fan no2 and fan no3. I'm assuming they're for AC which I don't have. One of the terminals in the fan2 connector is constant live so could I connect to that?

Thanks!

Call the midlife!

Pretty sure the wiper feed is constant, I know that's where mine are powered from and they come on with accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Off topic but.. Why the hell is the wiper feed constant? Odd.
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Quote from: shnazzle on November 12, 2018, 12:53
Off topic but.. Why the hell is the wiper feed constant? Odd.

Wiper feed is constant so that (on some cars) the wipers continue to park after the ignition is off, however I dont think it is, as I'm sure they stop when you turn off?

Edit: oh and I take a feed from the fusebox, but I think it was just a switched live.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

benjamino

If you have them on the wiper feed and the lights come on with accessories surely that means it's an ignition only feed? My OSRAM set needs an ignition feed and a constant feed (it says connect direct to battery but I'm not sure I fancy wiring all the way to the back if I can avoid it)!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: benjamino on November 12, 2018, 13:23
If you have them on the wiper feed and the lights come on with accessories surely that means it's an ignition only feed? My OSRAM set needs an ignition feed and a constant feed (it says connect direct to battery but I'm not sure I fancy wiring all the way to the back if I can avoid it)!
Nope, key has to be in ignition otherwise they would be on constantly but ignition doesn't have to be "on".

benjamino

Ok yep that wire off the wiper motor is a good one - it comes on when they key is in position 2 (which means you can run the stereo without having the DRLs on). I used the 'fan2' relay socket for the constant 12v feed. All working very nicely. Will post a photo later.

Call the midlife!

I'm sure you know anyway but don't forget to wire the relay into the dipped headlights so the DRL turn off.

benjamino

Cheers yeah the lights I have have a separate wire that splices onto the sidelight wire so they turn off when the lights come on. Fog light mode working too.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: benjamino on November 13, 2018, 13:04
Cheers yeah the lights I have have a separate wire that splices onto the sidelight wire so they turn off when the lights come on. Fog light mode working too.
You can have them on with sidelights, just not dipped headlights.

Gatouzze

@benjamino looking forward for your photo so I can actually see where I need to pick the power for my DRL installation!  :D

benjamino

@Gatouzze I haven't got pics of the wiring but basically if you don't have AC I think the relay socket marked 'fan 2' will be un-used. If you test the pins in there with a multi-meter you'll find a 12v that is always on. If your DRLs need an always-on connection like the OSRAM LED driving fogs, you can connect that there. Then use the upper middle wire on the wiper motor for the one that turns on when the key is turned to position 2.

Here's a pic of the lights.

Tags: