Electric ariel toothed cord

Started by The Arch Bishop, December 29, 2018, 13:13

The Arch Bishop

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on my grinding ariel. I've looked at the 'How to' on this forum but the pictures appear to be long gone sadly!

I've managed to remove the toothed cord and the extending section. It looks like a section has snapped off. The motor still works quietly so the bit left inside doesn't appear to be getting in the way.

Not the best photo;

The guide mentions putting a blob on somewhere so that the motor knows when to stop, but without the images, I can't see where this blob is meant to go.

Can anyone help?

Ardent

Can vaguely recall reading that.
I seem to recall it simply being on the end of the toothed bit. Melting the end in a flame.
Was a while ago though.

paulj

I agree, on the end of the toothed belt so the mechanism knows when to stop.

If funds allow, MR2 Ben has replacement aerials to avoid all the messing about with the old one.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

The Arch Bishop

Funds would just about allow, but I like the idea of keeping the £35 (inc postage) and fixing what I have. Although I reckon quite a bit has broken off so I'm not ruling out a new one!

OK, well I'll have a tinker tomorrow and see what I can do.

Thanks both!

Davey P

I've seen replacement masts on ebay for 15 quid if that helps?

Link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-replacement-Electric-Aerial-Mast/201381598132?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Listing says suitable for Mk3 from 2000 - 2007 fitted with the original Toyota electric aerial

The Arch Bishop

Cheers Davey, think I'm going to need it!

That's quite a lot to have snapped off so a replacement is the only sensible option. I'll get one of those ordered up.

Davey P

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on December 30, 2018, 14:49
Cheers Davey, think I'm going to need it!

That's quite a lot to have snapped off so a replacement is the only sensible option. I'll get one of those ordered up.

Nice one mate, I'm glad to be able to help someone on here at last, instead of just asking loads of newbie questions all the time, ha ha!

Let us know how it goes, and if the fitment is straightforward.  Mine needs the same thing, so it will be good to know what's in store for me...

paulj

Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

The Arch Bishop

Quote from: paulj on December 30, 2018, 22:05
There is a how to for replacing the aerial https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=30031.0
That was the thread i'd been reading, but putting a new one in should be a case of feeding the new toothed cord down from the top and turning the ignition off so that it takes up the cord... or I may have to dismantle the ariel assembly again - not a problem as I'll be a lot quicker the second time around!  :)

wotugonado

Bit late now, but for future reference even with that amount snapped off it still works, or at least mine does. Melt the end so there's a decent size melted blob and let it set, this stops the thread going all the way through the winding mech, it makes a noise when it's trying to fully extend, as it's now shorter so the winding cogs slip like a ratchet but it has lasted for me for about 5 years.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Tags: