Main beam dash warning light

Started by mitreklov, March 9, 2019, 09:51

mitreklov

The blue main beam dashboard warning light on my FL (2006) two has stopped working, the main beams work fine, it's just the warning light at fault. I've had the cluster out and had good look inside and found that most of the warning lights, including the MB are LED and it's not a simple case of changing the bulb.

I did some searching for a wiring diagram in the hope of finding out how the circuit works but the only online wiring diagram I could find was for a much earlier US spec car and as such was little help as it was very different.
So does anyone have or know of where I can get my hands of a relevant wiring diagram for my car?

Has anyone had this trouble before?

I figure it is either a fault in the cluster, perhaps a bad diode or LED or the feed from the main beam circuit that drives the cluster. Without a wiring diagram I've no idea where the feed to the cluster starts form, main beam relay or the indicator stork maybe? I have figured out which connector and pin on the cluster main beam feed connects to and I hope to be able to test this and see if the cluster is a fault but I'll need to be careful.

While I can live without it I am concerned it may mean an MOT fail if it's not working. Anyone know if this is the case?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks

2006 Spectra Blue, Hardtop, AC

jonbill

Just get another from a breakers-- RutlandMR2 will have one I expect.

StuC

Quote from: mitreklov on March  9, 2019, 09:51
The blue main beam dashboard warning light on my FL (2006) two has stopped working, the main beams work fine, it's just the warning light at fault. I've had the cluster out and had good look inside and found that most of the warning lights, including the MB are LED and it's not a simple case of changing the bulb.

I did some searching for a wiring diagram in the hope of finding out how the circuit works but the only online wiring diagram I could find was for a much earlier US spec car and as such was little help as it was very different.
So does anyone have or know of where I can get my hands of a relevant wiring diagram for my car?

Has anyone had this trouble before?

I figure it is either a fault in the cluster, perhaps a bad diode or LED or the feed from the main beam circuit that drives the cluster. Without a wiring diagram I've no idea where the feed to the cluster starts form, main beam relay or the indicator stork maybe? I have figured out which connector and pin on the cluster main beam feed connects to and I hope to be able to test this and see if the cluster is a fault but I'll need to be careful.

While I can live without it I am concerned it may mean an MOT fail if it's not working. Anyone know if this is the case?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks

Are they a SMD (surface mounted LED)?

Ineresting link over on spyderchat LINKY reveals the picture below.

URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

mitreklov

Yes indeed, all the warning lights on the right of the cluster are SMDs. I have managed to trace the tracks on the circuit board to a pin on the white connector so I figure this is the 12v feed from the main beam lighting circuit. My plan is the apply 12v to this pin and see if the LED works then at least I'll know whether the cluster actually works.
I've monitored that same connection with a volt meter and with the the main beam on there are no volts from the harness, which suggests the fault is at the send end or harness somewhere. 

I just hate the guess work and would rather get to see a wiring diagram before poking 12v around things, hence the request.

Carolyn

You could try a liberal spraying of contact cleaner into the switch, while operating it a lot.

I've done this for various stalk-switch problems over the tears.  Worked most of the time.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

StuC

SteveJ

Quote from: StuC on March 10, 2019, 09:14
Quote from: Fin on June 23, 2016, 13:16
I think you can find most of the looms here
http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2%20spyder/Repair%20Information/Wiring%20Diagrams/09%20-%20System%20Circuits//

Hope it helps  s:D :D s:D

Sadly not a lot of use in this case - they are the US PFL wiring diagrams so the High-beam signal comes from the DRL relay which wasn't fitted to cars outside the US.

mitreklov

Thanks for the link, having studied these and compared them with my car, these diagrams don't accurately reflect the non US FL cars. The lighting circuits are quite different both in term of wiring colour code and for the cluster, show standard warning bulbs. I'm guessing there were major changes made during the revamp.

Thanks anyway

StuC

@SteveJ is this where we need the BGB Steve?

SteveJ

Quote from: StuC on March 10, 2019, 09:26
@SteveJ is this where we need the BGB Steve?

Those PDF's are actually the BGB in electronic form - ISTR the printed copy had the same problem although at the time I was looking through them I was only interested in the engine ECU harness which is common between all markets.

mitreklov

Still haven't fixed this but it passed the MOT without being picked up.

StuC

Quote from: mitreklov on March 31, 2019, 16:25
Still haven't fixed this but it passed the MOT without being picked up.

Good news on the pass. :)

Are you going to carry on investigating?

mitreklov

I should do really as it bugs me that it doesn't work, but with the lighter evenings I fear the drive to get it fixed may wain.

StuC

Quote from: mitreklov on March 31, 2019, 16:42
I should do really as it bugs me that it doesn't work, but with the lighter evenings I fear the drive to get it fixed may wain.

Indeed, for me I'd want to know that my main beams were on in low light... so I didn't blind anyone.

Tags: