Polish inside headlight

Started by supersai101, April 20, 2019, 19:52

Dev

One more thing I forgot to mention that is important for anyone attempting this.
When using the rotary polisher make sure it only touches the clear plastic lens. When you come close to the edges where it meets the body you might accidentally overlap on the edge of paint of your car which can burn it if you are not paying attention. If there are brief touches no problem but if you keep it in one spot and its touched for an extended time you can take the paint off. 

J88TEO

I tape of the body panels around the lights when doing this...think I put 3 layers on.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: J88TEO on August 18, 2022, 14:32I tape of the body panels around the lights when doing this...think I put 3 layers on.

I did this, next time I will do more, I was really pleased with how mine turned out but I think I could perhaps get them even better with a bit more effort.

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Dev

Tape is good when you first start out to give you some peace of mind but after you figure it out you never need to use tape again. As long as you keep the rotary polisher pad lubricated and moving it will never burn paint. I just smear polish on the pad and spray water on both surfaces and I am done with both lenses in less than 8 minutes as long as its not heavily etched. If you spend a little more time burnishing the polish you can get the plastic to look as transparent as optical glass which is better than how they came new.

TheTigerUK

@Dev, do you polish on low revs or high ? I tended to err on the low side.

Dev

Quote from: TheTigerUK on August 18, 2022, 20:03@Dev, do you polish on low revs or high ? I tended to err on the low side.

I start out low speed to spread the polish and to make sure there is no grabbing of the pad, I also work out a pattern. Once that is established I turn it up a little for fast cutting action but I do not suggest this for someone starting out as this is enough, just takes a little longer. It is dangerous to go at higher speed so I suggest gaining a bit of experience.
 What happens with rotary polishers is a false sense of confidence when you think you figured it out so you turn it up too much. If you are not experienced going at high speed and if the pad grabs because it dries to quickly the polisher can quickly without warning jerk from your hands and go flying into your windshield or somewhere where it can cause damage. Although rare, accidents have happened and it is almost always user error. If you take it slow and steady it is safe. When you become experienced you can get a good feel for when you need to add lubricant and how fast you need it to be.
The best way to describe it is when you do it then you will understand as it has its own feel. Just keep the polisher moving in up and down side to side motions, slow and steady.

TheTigerUK

I had these come today getting ready for next polish, £5 a bargain.

Tags: