Front splitter advice

Started by deviantmr-s, May 25, 2019, 11:49

deviantmr-s

I have a front splitter with no drill holes and no markings as to where to drill.

After a little advice as to the best way to mark and drill the holes to bolt on.

I am limited to space if I have to take off the front to place and mark the holes in situ. Options available to solve this the easiest way, if at all possible to do without removing the front?

Thanks.
I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

Chriss

I will be in this situation my self when my lip arrives, I plan to jack the front up and remove any plastic in the way, then use a marker to place where to drill. Hopefully someone with experience will be along to give better advice.

Call the midlife!

I put some masking tape on the splitter at each end and on the bumper in corresponding places.
Offer it up for fitment and make alignment marks on the tape then use a couple of lengths of 3M tape to hold it while you drill your first couple of holes.
I drilled undersized holes and used self tappers but mine is a plastic splitter so depends on what yours are made from and how permanent you want them?
A good bead of Sikaflex might be better if they're glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

deviantmr-s

I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

Snelbaard

Does anyone here have the luxuryparts front lip? I'm considering getting one but I can't find any pictures of one on a car.
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Topdownman

Quote from: Snelbaard on June 24, 2019, 16:17Does anyone here have the luxuryparts front lip? I'm considering getting one but I can't find any pictures of one on a car.

I think @tommyzoom99 has one?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Snelbaard

You're right, thanks! I like the look of it.

Petrus

Quote from: Snelbaard on June 24, 2019, 16:17Does anyone here have the luxuryparts front lip? I'm considering getting one but I can't find any pictures of one on a car.

Be aware that this is a véry vulnerable addition to the front. It will make front first parking a potentially expensive drama.
I have been looking at a lót of front aero mods to decrease lift and the only practical one is a rubber L-strip from ebay. Simple fix with tape and self tappers. Will cost you 15 €uros or so. There is a How Too even!

Snelbaard

Oh well, I don't have coilovers (yet) so I think I'll roll the dice on this one

Petrus

Quote from: Snelbaard on June 25, 2019, 09:20Oh well, I don't have coilovers

Neither do I and the dice rolled to wubbah stwip :-)

Topdownman

You can put the rubber strip onto the splitter which will help protect it should you ground it.

Try and see the rubber strip you buy though if possible as I have found they are not all the same and some are more rigid than others.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Únder the splitter? That would make it a snow shover if I were not living in the south  ;D

The wubbah stwip is 4 cm. high, euh, low.

Call the midlife!

Stick it on, drive it like you stole it, laugh and giggle as it scrapes on the road as you come out of dips or plough the asphalt chippings away from the centre of single tracks. 
"If it dies, it dies"...

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2019, 10:35Stick it on, drive it like you stole it, laugh and giggle as it scrapes on the road as you come out of dips or plough the asphalt chippings away from the centre of single tracks.
"If it dies, it dies"...

Exactly; for the 15 €uros it is hardly an issue. Secondly it is flexible and lasty it has a positive effect on highway stability. Well, lástly is that the rumble warns that the sidewalk is too near when front first parking; not remotely like the expensive sound a hard splitter makes.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Petrus on June 26, 2019, 10:44
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2019, 10:35Stick it on, drive it like you stole it, laugh and giggle as it scrapes on the road as you come out of dips or plough the asphalt chippings away from the centre of single tracks.
"If it dies, it dies"...

Exactly; for the 15 €uros it is hardly an issue. Secondly it is flexible and lasty it has a positive effect on highway stability. Well, lástly is that the rumble warns that the sidewalk is too near when front first parking; not remotely like the expensive sound a hard splitter makes.

I've got a plastic splitter on my PFL and I'm lowered on coilovers, it catches most of the time on the far side of dips in the road at speed.

I've got rubber trim on the underside but only to make it look lower than it is, the plastic always hits first anyway.
And some part of it whistles at 60 mph.

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2019, 11:12I've got a plastic splitter on my PFL and I'm lowered on coilovers, it catches most of the time on the far side of dips in the road at speed.

I've got rubber trim on the underside but only to make it look lower than it is, the plastic always hits first anyway.
And some part of it whistles at 60 mph.

Uff, that would get on my tits seriously. The plastic scraping that is. The whistling I can do myself :-)

Petrus

Btw. The wubbah lip/splitter I fitted works a treat. The front is noticeably more stable. Logically more so as speed increases.
It is also as low as possible here. Picked up charming company in Monda and I managed to scrape it in one of the despairingly confusing alleys of the old part below the castle.

mikek

You cannot view this attachment.

Very happy with the rubber strip on mine
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

Petrus

:o  Wow,
that´s low,

It rimes so must be true  ;)

tatieu

Hi, deviantmr-s

What is this front splitter ????????
Is it compatible with the TRD Front lip or just with the stock bumper ?

Tags: