Interior rear view mirror.

Started by Petrus, June 18, 2019, 20:02

Petrus

I am a bit claustrophibic and also @nal ocd about a clear view windscreen.
So I swapped the sun visors for club plugs. Lóve it!

The mirror glued to the windscreen bugs me no end. Being 8 foot (why is that not feet?) 2, it sits in my view; or at least I perceive it that way.

I want to take it off.
Anyone of you fitted a dash mounted one?

StuC

Not sure you would see past the seats for a dash mounted one.
Do you NEED one? Are the door mirrors not enough?

If not, how about making an adaptor to mount off the interior lamp area?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

paulj

In the UK you need "An interior mirror or a device which provides a view to the rear of the vehicle" to pass the MOT test.  Not sure about Spain!

Having said that the inclusion of the words "a device" could allow a rear view camera with a screen in the double DIN slot.  Perhaps......
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

StuC

@paulj agreed on the UK. That's why I thought I'd pose the idea.

Petrus

I am unsure as there seesm to be confusion about the rules.
In the UK too btw. See below concerning older vans.

Previous to 2010 here in Spain is was not mandatory to have a passenger side side mirror.
For vehicles with ristricted view behind the cabin, p.e. vans, it was. Automtically it followed that the interior rear view mirror was superfluous.
It coúld be inferred that two side mirrors equals sufficient rear view, or in other words that the second side mirror makes the interior one optional.
To mé it follows that since my pre 2010 car has a second side mirror, the interir one could be deleted.
However... if I would want to just delete, I´d pass the MoT fírst and if they agree, would have it put in the registration docs. to avoid both problems with future inspections and with the police  on the road.
A small dash mounted mirror would be dodging this.

Snelbaard

There's a bend I take every day on the way to work in which the interior mirror is precisely obscuring the apex. It's really quite frustrating. If anyone's done anything to change the interior mirror I'm interested to hear about it.
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Petrus

Quote from: Snelbaard on June 19, 2019, 09:01There's a bend I take every day on the way to work in which the interior mirror is precisely obscuring the apex. It's really quite frustrating. If anyone's done anything to change the interior mirror I'm interested to hear about it.

I have that on the mountain road from the village to Archidona and back. It is a pita because the road is narrow, the bends blind but there ís traffic!
It is a blind spot in front of me, meaning I need to move my head araound the mirror every other bend for some twenty bends either way.

It cannót be just a Dutch thing though we may be a bit taller than average.

james_ly

I'd be interested in a smaller mirror, as said it obscures the vision quite a bit. I assume it just pops off and an ebay one will fit.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Joesson

I read in a newspaper on Saturday that a prototype McLaren Speedtail caught fire at a Guildford petrol station. With this report was some design detail of the car-

There are no side view mirrors. Instead, small side cameras send images to the driver's dashboard.
Features 'electrochromic' windscreen and roof, which can go dark at the touch of a button - doing away with sun visors.
Daily Mail Reporter.

StuC

There are lots of cars on the market with door mirror cameras now.

My understanding of the UK stuff was that it needs to be a non-electronic back-up, i.e. mirrors!

Petrus

That´s it; it is coming out.
Malaga gf is going to China for half a year or so and gave me cool present that will remind me of her; a hat only photo session in the MR.
In several of the shots the mirror really spoils the view. Every hot blooded bloke understands that you can nót have that  8)

I will let the button glued in place for the moment, untill I am clear about the periodic inspection.

The mirror is a push fit with a button on the stem sliding down (to remove) or up (to fit) between two spring legs
(there´s a photo in a How To:  http://www.mr2roc.org/Repository/misc/referencelibrary/FTOMirror/005-25.jpg )
and it weighs 300 grams. About the same promilage as the max. permitted alcohol level in blood for driving,, so nothing to sneeze at :-)

Imo it is worth the extra view and I don´t mean the above mentioned, but the róad view.
I consider the slightly less rear view less important than a blind spot at the front.

Bossworld

I can't quite remember how but I've manipulated mine to being higher up the windscreen so it's no longer obscuring my view.

As above its only just clipped in and fairly easy to remove to look at.

I think from memory you have a ball at the bottom which allows it to be moved around, but there's also a stalk, likely to have become very stiff over the years, that you can manipulate to have the mirror sit higher

StuC

I think you can rotate it through 180 degrees and it sits higher, but you lose some of the functionality.

it is a halfway house though.

Petrus

Quote from: StuC on June 21, 2019, 08:52I think you can rotate it through 180 degrees and it sits higher, but you lose some of the functionality.

Ah halfway compromise is often the sensible choice and yours is a valid good solution. It wíll raise the blind spot and can solve it depending on how tall you sit and yes it lowers the sky in the rear view but still...

Weather forecast 38 degrees for next week. That is hére; in the valley. Exceptional. In Júne. It means over 40 degrees in the shade. That is August temp!!

For the moment though 8,5 degrees this morning at surrise and 30 mid day. Will be taking Belle out for a spin and enjoy the unimpaired view. Almost decadent pleasure; top down under the sun with the airco blowing.

StuC

Let's see how long it takes you to get used to it upside down!

I think the 'night mode' dipping makes things worse if I recall.

Petrus

Quote from: StuC on June 21, 2019, 10:02Let's see how long it takes you to get used to it upside down!

:-)

It already takes some getting used to not glancing automatically up.
Can do with not automatically straing the neck to look around it though.

I like it a lót how much idea of unrestricted view it gives. With the top up also extra ´space´ like with removing the sun visors.

Can not say I notice the 300 grams ::-)

QuoteI think the 'night mode' dipping makes things worse if I recall.

It darkens the view and means you need an odd angle to the mirror.

shnazzle

I think everyone is missing the important thing here... 

You're 8ft2in?????
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on June 21, 2019, 10:40I think everyone is missing the important thing here...

You're 8ft2in?????

I did mention the crux;

and 6 2.

Taller = more blind spot issue.
Smaller = less issue.

Additionally not sitting waááááy back: Wrist on top of steering wheel with shoulder to back rest.
If I sit two clicks further back the issue lessens but without pas a like a bit of leverage.

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on June 21, 2019, 10:55
Quote from: shnazzle on June 21, 2019, 10:40I think everyone is missing the important thing here...

You're 8ft2in?????

I did mention the crux;

and yes, 8 2.

Taller = more blind spot issue.
Smaller = less issue.

Additionally not sitting waááááy back: Wrist on top of steering wheel with shoulder to back rest.
If I sit two clicks further back the issue lessens but without pas a like a bit of leverage.

Either Google is getting it wrong or you are one of the tallest persons in the world. Anyways at 1.85 metres I know why you would want to remove the mirror. Now you got me thinking too.

Petrus

Quote from: Nvy on June 21, 2019, 11:09Either Google is getting it wrong or you are one of the tallest persons in the world. Anyways at 1.85 metres I know why you would want to remove the mirror. Now you got me thinking too.

I stand corrected. Typo; 6 2; 185 cms. Silly measurements in feet, thumbs and stónes even...

Bossworld

Quote from: StuC on June 21, 2019, 08:52I think you can rotate it through 180 degrees and it sits higher, but you lose some of the functionality.

I tried some of those routines and I seem to recall ending up with the mirror pointing at an impossible angle.  In the end, if I remember correctly I just pushed the stalk up as high as possible in-situ, then titled the mirror back down to compensate.  Made a big difference.

Petrus

Quote from: Bossworld on June 21, 2019, 11:18In the end, if I remember correctly I just pushed the stalk up as high as possible in-situ, then titled the mirror back down to compensate.  Made a big difference.

Also moves it into the cab and I háte that. It is a matter of picking your irk or chuck it.

Tags: