Just got this from ropeyracing

Started by mr mr2, July 30, 2019, 20:31

mr mr2

You cannot view this attachment. just got this today fantastic quality can't wait to fit it excellent service from ropey racing You cannot view this attachment.
Excelsior

Topdownman

Thats going to change the look!

Do you cut out the louvred section or mount it over the top?

Looking forward to the fitted photos.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

mr mr2

Cut lol
Spyder lee on YouTube did a how to
But I'm scared lol

But can't fault ropey racing with this kit can't wait to get it on
They might be doing a front kit
Now that I'm really interested in
Excelsior

mr mr2

This should get some fresh air to my pod filter You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Excelsior

mr mr2

You cannot view this attachment.all fitted
Excelsior

shnazzle

Quote from: mr mr2 on August 19, 2019, 19:59You cannot view this attachment.all fitted
Any purpose served?
...neutiquam erro.

stewart@boro

TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

mr mr2

It's supposed to aid with air flow
But not so sure
Looks wise I like it
Liked it when spyderlee did his on YouTube
And I do like my mr2 to stand out lol
Excelsior

shnazzle

Quote from: mr mr2 on August 19, 2019, 20:50It's supposed to aid with air flow
But not so sure
Looks wise I like it
Liked it when spyderlee did his on YouTube
And I do like my mr2 to stand out lol
That you do! It does look quite "race car"
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

The wing design is not to my taste but your combo with the deck vent and colour scheme is the in my beholding eye most pleasing morph yet! And it sure stands out; objective achieved in an imo positive way.

m1tch

Will be interesting to see what that does considering no real amount of airflow hits the rear engine lid as the rear window has too sharp of an angle for smooth airflow.

Nvy

In order for this to work you would have to use vortex generators glued/mounted on a hardtop so the air does not separate and moves down the rear window. If one wanted to cut their engine lid to improve airflow a beneficial would be to cut some of it in the left and right corner close to the window and cover it with mesh. There is lower pressure zone there.

m1tch

Quote from: Nvy on August 20, 2019, 07:31In order for this to work you would have to use vortex generators glued/mounted on a hardtop so the air does not separate and moves down the rear window. If one wanted to cut their engine lid to improve airflow a beneficial would be to cut some of it in the left and right corner close to the window and cover it with mesh. There is lower pressure zone there.

I am thinking about vortex generators on my hard top, need to do a tuft test first though, its also the reason why I took off the TTE Banana spoiler on mine, was only dead weight.

Petrus

Quote from: Nvy on August 20, 2019, 07:31If one wanted to cut their engine lid to improve airflow a beneficial would be to cut some of it in the left and right corner close to the window and cover it with mesh. There is lower pressure zone there.

That would suck cool air out and impede flow over the engine.

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on August 20, 2019, 10:56
Quote from: Nvy on August 20, 2019, 07:31If one wanted to cut their engine lid to improve airflow a beneficial would be to cut some of it in the left and right corner close to the window and cover it with mesh. There is lower pressure zone there.

That would suck cool air out and impede flow over the engine.

Maybe but it could be used to cool down some intercooler Ferrari style. I wanted to point out that what he did just doesnt work, its for pure aesthetics.

Petrus

Quote from: Nvy on August 20, 2019, 13:43Maybe but it could be used to cool down some intercooler Ferrari style. I wanted to point out that what he did just doesnt work, its for pure aesthetics.

The TRD spoiler is a styling throw back linking to the SW20 Turbo TRD 2000GT Wide Body.
As such it is quite cool imo.
As a rear wing a cheap Chinese 3D one on higher mounts is more effective.

mr mr2

It's quite addictive modding cars
Now my others projects are totally standard and I will keep them that way
But my mr2 can't stop it lol
Excelsior

lgriffiths

@Nvy
Why are you so sure it's purely aesthetic?

It seems to be designed on the premise there's lower pressure on the lid, so air is leaving the engine bay here. Seems a reasonable assumption?

So if we're saying this is how the system is driven, i.e. lower pressure on the lid than in the enginebay, then enlarging the exit will increase enginebay mass flow...

Nvy

Quote from: lgriffiths on August 20, 2019, 22:50@Nvy
Why are you so sure it's purely aesthetic?

It seems to be designed on the premise there's lower pressure on the lid, so air is leaving the engine bay here. Seems a reasonable assumption?

So if we're saying this is how the system is driven, i.e. lower pressure on the lid than in the enginebay, then enlarging the exit will increase enginebay mass flow...

Because the way its designed, the shape of it would create a low pressure zone but only if the air is passing through. The hood vents are working that way. Also the placement of it is not where the lower pressure zone is, its closer to the window thats why I suggested the cut outs. Have a look on fiero or opel speedster(its called differently in UK) engine lids, I have the feeling their lids work but they are not shaped like this.

mr mr2

All I no is
It looks good
And if it gets the hot air out the bay quicker that means better air flow for my pod filter which is behind the battery
Excelsior

lgriffiths

Quote from: Nvy on August 21, 2019, 06:02The hood vents are working that way.
Hood vents are not design this way - the shape is to control the exit angle of the flow and to stop bird poop hitting the engine. The flow occurs due to the pressure differential between inside and outside the enginebay. Think of them as guide vanes & poop protectors.

Petrus

Quote from: lgriffiths on August 22, 2019, 07:33Hood vents are not design this way - the shape is to control the exit angle of the flow and to stop bird poop hitting the engine. The flow occurs due to the pressure differential between inside and outside the enginebay. Think of them as guide vanes & poop protectors.

The OEM louvres have a large tray fitted underneath. Eeven if you´d cut out the whole louvre panel, the engine would still be kept free form whatever.
With the tray fitted, there is very, véry little airflow form the louvres and what little does flow out is coming from the cool side. The conclusion must be that the OEM louvres/tray design is about aesthetics, not airflow through the engine room.
Take the tray out and the engine room airflow changes, affecting the drag/lift too, however slightly.
Mount the TTE spoiler and things change*.
Mount the TTE ducktail and things change*.
Mount the TRD wing and things change*.

* with the tray mounted it only changes the drag/lift; with the tray removed it also affects airflow in the engine room.

lgriffiths

Fair point about the OE setup, almost completely blocked off. Could be there for heat soak...?

Petrus

Quote from: lgriffiths on August 22, 2019, 11:49Fair point about the OE setup, almost completely blocked off. Could be there for heat soak...?

Hûh???

If you mean absorbing heat than no; it has no mass; just sheet metal.
Imo the louveres are a cool styling bit and the tray to keep debris and water from the engine.

H1GRM

So does the "stock" car not have the electric fan under the louvres?
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Tags: