Horn Upgrade

Started by Comer, May 30, 2003, 11:30

Comer

I'm sure on the Yahoo forum I read something about changing the standard wimpy sounding horn with something else and easy to do.  Unfortunately being at work looking on Yahoo is a big no no.

Can anyone give any details on this upgrade / mod please?

Cheers
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

GSB

Michael,

I you go to Halfords you can get a pair of Fiamm horns for about £15. look in the max muppet section... Dont worry if they have tacky chrome grilles on them as they simply unclip...

Next you have to remove the front bumper, which sounds like a pain in the arse, but in fact only takes about 10 minutes with a screwdriver and a 10mm socket, and then remove the two pathetic little hooters from the front of the car adjacent to the passenger side of the radiator. Mount your new horns, connect the wires (making sure you apply earth connections...) and dont forget to test them before you stick the bumper back on. Its really pretty easy, I did the whole job in about 45 minutes.

As your only installing electromagnetic type horns theres no real need to upgrade the wiring with relays etc. This is really only required when installing air horns, as the compressors can draw quite large currents.

Hope this helps!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Comer

Cheers Grant that's the next thing I'll be doing once the sun stops shining  s:D :D s:D
Michael

GSB

No problem.

Judging by the number of grills you have installed on your car I take it you are familiar with removing the bumpers. But if anyone else wants to have a go at getting rid of the 'Noddy' horn, then you'll find directions for removing the bumper here:

http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/Nov/bumper/removebumper.htm
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I can vouch for the fact that removing the front bumper is easy as I did mine this week.  I had the bumper off, tidied up the front grille mountings that needed doing and had the bumper back on again in about 40 minutes.  Piece of cake!

--H--

Comer

I know the bumpers on my car pretty well, it's a shame I didn't see the gate on my parents drive last weekend but that's another story  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I guess these are the FIAMM ones:

Sorry Grant but did you need to make extra earth connections or are there some already there with the stocks?
Michael

Anonymous

Do you really use the horn enough to justify an upgrade?!  You must really suffer from the old road rage!

--H--

Comer

I suppose I do get red mist but recently when I was behind someone at a green light, they were either deaf,  ignoring it, or couldn't hear it over their music.  

Perhaps it was Buster  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Anonymous

Na wasnt me !!!! LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I may try and take the bumper off then if everyone says its easy!

Comer do you fancy meeting up and trying it together it may be better with 2 heads than 1 as im not all that with mehcanical give me electrical im fine! but all that gresse and wrench stuff na i will pass!

Comer

Buster I don't mind meeting up seeing as I'm not that far from Chelmsford.  I think this mod will be much easier than your regular ICE installs!

I prefer to do this sort of thing when the car is dirty as I don't mind getting handmarks on the bumper if I'm cleaning it soon after, probably next weekend at the earliest if that's ok.  Pm me nearer the time.

Cheers
Michael

Hope4Sun

Have to agree that the stanard horn lacks a little something and a pair of air horns really do add to that sports car look and sound, plus saves you being squashed by the odd Truck or SUV  s:) :) s:) , one of the frist mods i did, took me a while though ,because i never took the front bumper off   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

And also shocked to discover it had two horns, took what i thought was the only one out and it still beeped, freaked me out until i looked up inside the front bumper   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

I have a set of twin air horns sat in my garage doing nothing. Is this a JAE mod i hear you all offering!!!! (not only am i an IT womble but i have the distinction of being a mechanical one too!!!!!!)     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Comer

Could be a JAE fitting if I don't fit them sooner!  I'm tempted to have go tomorrow whilst the girlie is off horse riding  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I bought the FIAMM horns today but the packaging says they are made by Ring Automative, but looking through the plastic you can see FIAMM on the actual horns and they look similar to the pic in the post above.
Michael

Comer

Err Buster sorry mate but I couldn't resist fitting the new horns today  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

The sound is much better and hopefully safer too.  If you want to bring some to JAE then we can fit them very quickly and then it's my Dynamat to do  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Anonymous

Yeah no worries what horns did you got for???

And how much dyamay you got, I would say at least 2 packs maybe 3 depending no how quite you want the car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Comer

Buster I bought the FIAMM horns for 14.99 from Halfords but the packaging says they are made by Ring Automative, but looking through the plastic you can see FIAMM on the actual horns.  The car sounds grown up now  s8) 8) s8)  

I haven't go the Dynamat yet but I'll definitely get 2/3 packs for JAE.
Michael

Anonymous

i will bring my air gun tho so it sticks better, are there power points at jae for 240 stuff???

Tags: