Toyota touch up paint..

Started by aaronjb, April 7, 2005, 08:49

aaronjb

Ok, quick question..

I touched in a few stone chips yesterday with the little pot of 8M6 Toyota paint that came with the car (which is handy, as Halfords don't do 8M6, IIRC)..

Can anyone tell me why it's so much darker than the rest of the car?   s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Ok, quick question..

I touched in a few stone chips yesterday with the little pot of 8M6 Toyota paint that came with the car (which is handy, as Halfords don't do 8M6, IIRC)..

Can anyone tell me why it's so much darker than the rest of the car?   s:? :? s:?

Aaron, the only guess I can come up with is that your car has had some kind of natural "fade" over time. I have also got the 8M6 touch up and when I did mine a while ago, it was absolutely spot on. Couldn't tell the old from the new.

But my old Mk1 faded and the touch up paint for that was nothing like the original colour, but the car was 12 years old at that point.

The only thing I can come up with mate. Sorry........

aaronjb

Quote from: "John Woodward"Aaron, the only guess I can come up with is that your car has had some kind of natural "fade" over time.

That's all I could think of, too.. Maybe it has - I've never parked next to another 8M6 to compare.. one of these days I'll get my posterior to a meet and compare.

Wouldn't surprise me if it has, in a way - I don't think the previous owner looked after the paintwork very much (there are some horrid scratches that need touching in - through the top coat to the undercoat  s:( :( s:(  ).

Ah well - it blends in more than the primer did  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

karlus972

I am looking for a touch up paint for my spyder as well. Silver 1DO.
Would any of you have the reference for that? and potentially the price?

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Madinina Style!!

filcee

ISTR that the 8M6 touch-up I had with my '01 came out darker too  s:-( :-( s:-(

I'm assuming you have a paint pot, and not one of those lipstick sized touch-ups that comes with a garden broom for a brush (how do they get that in there?) The only near-fix I found for this was to stir the pot of paint almost every time I needed to refill the brush.  The metal flakes settles to the bottom of the tin - the only way to lighten the paint was to get more of them transferred onto the bodywork.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Yeah, I found that stirring before every small application seemed to make the cover more even. The touch up I have is the two bottle one that has to be mixed beforehand and I mixed it in a small shot glass then applied with a cocktail stick, ready to be polished down with Lanka. As long as I mixed (you only need a tiny bit) and then applied with the stick straight away, I seemed to have no problems. When you polished it down with Lanka, I couldn't really tell WHERE the chip was after that.

Tags: