Facelift headlights on pre face lift

Started by MannyUK, October 2, 2019, 21:33

MannyUK

Quick one

Do facelift headlights fit on a pre facelift?
Buttery biscuit base

Joesson

My understanding is that the physical size and shape fit but the electrical wiring requirements differ, exactly what is required I believe has been mentioned on here but may take some finding.

Carolyn

The PFL headlights do stand up to internal yellowing much better than the later ones. I was told this by the headlight restorer who attend Shing Ding.

He said the reflective surround inside the FL lights is the culprit.

And yes, the later headlight uses a relay to switch from high to low beam, so wiring modification is required.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Chilli Girl

That would account to when I see pfl 2's their lights are so much better looking than fl ones.  Thanks for info C.  That's another thing I've learnt about our 2's. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

MannyUK

interesting thanks for advice.  Mine have gone all yellow crap and i was toying with buying a couple of new ones until i saw the price!
Buttery biscuit base

Fin

I have PFL's on my FL. There is a way around the wiring issues for the changeover... The PFL uses a single bulb, which is either dipped or high beam. The FL uses 2 bulbs, which are both on for high beam. A way was found, with a relay, but it disables the High Beam Indicator on the instrument panel (all depends whether you mind that, or whether you're happy to run one bulb at a time like I do, and how friendly/observant your MOT tester is ;) ).
Also worth noting, I found that the beam on the PFL is actually better than the FL (personal opinion, and prepared to be shot down in flames on that one!!)
Before panicking, and splashing out vast sums on new headlights, these units are plastic, and respond extremely well to many of the Headlight restoration kits currently in the market.
It is generally the UV protection which discolours. A good restoration kit, including UV protective cream or polish is well worth the £15 to £20 outlay.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

2ZZ_mofo

I'm having a headlights nightmare!

I have a PFL car which had FL headlights fitted. I got a local garage to try to convert back to PFL lights but they can't get them to work properly. They say they are very dim and only one of the 2 filaments in each bulb are lighting.

Any ideas? Not sure if it makes any difference but it's a 2ZZ conversion with engine from a Celica TSport - I think it's the original MR2 with some modifications.

Gaz mr-s

It's more common for the the pfl-FL conversion as your car has had. The FL's lights in the dark are not great at speed, but they're a damn sight better than an H4 bulb.

If your car has properly-working FL's I'd keep them in. On hi-beam, dipped stays on.   

There is a little wiring-loom conversion that has a couple of plugs on it,  (I believe American origin) which converts pfl to FL,  BUT when on hi-beam, only it works.

I have read online of a conversion (also American) of using at least two relays & 8 feet of wiring to do it.....

And of a guy in North West England who did it in 20 minutes & supposedly had them fully working.  But the twat couldn't be bothered to write a post explaining.

Also, as of the middle of last year, Toyota GB said pfl lights were no longer available.  True still or not, I don't know.

2ZZ_mofo

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 28, 2023, 21:14It's more common for the the pfl-FL conversion as your car has had. The FL's lights in the dark are not great at speed, but they're a damn sight better than an H4 bulb.

If your car has properly-working FL's I'd keep them in. On hi-beam, dipped stays on.   

There is a little wiring-loom conversion that has a couple of plugs on it,  (I believe American origin) which converts pfl to FL,  BUT when on hi-beam, only it works.

I have read online of a conversion (also American) of using at least two relays & 8 feet of wiring to do it.....

And of a guy in North West England who did it in 20 minutes & supposedly had them fully working.  But the twat couldn't be bothered to write a post explaining.

Also, as of the middle of last year, Toyota GB said pfl lights were no longer available.  True still or not, I don't know.

I got brand new PFL lights from MR2BEN which weren't exactly cheap. The FL lights that came off had cracked quite badly so not fit to re fit. Now I have a car that isn't road legal..

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: 2ZZ_mofo on May 29, 2023, 08:17I got brand new PFL lights from MR2BEN which weren't exactly cheap. The FL lights that came off had cracked quite badly so not fit to re fit. Now I have a car that isn't road legal..

Sorry to hear.  MR2Ben is usually more expensive than TCB.  Paul at TCB has said though that is little wriggle-room selling lights.  Would it help to have a pic of the H4 plugs & wiring colours?

2ZZ_mofo

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 29, 2023, 09:17Sorry to hear.  MR2Ben is usually more expensive than TCB.  Paul at TCB has said though that is little wriggle-room selling lights.  Would it help to have a pic of the H4 plugs & wiring colours?

If you could provide that it would be very much appreciated! 👍

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: 2ZZ_mofo on May 29, 2023, 09:57If you could provide that it would be very much appreciated! 👍

pm me your email address....should manage it today.

2ZZ_mofo

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 29, 2023, 10:04pm me your email address....should manage it today.

You're a star, PM sent 👍

Petrus

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 28, 2023, 21:14It's more common for the the pfl-FL conversion as your car has had. The FL's lights in the dark are not great at speed, but they're a damn sight better than an H4 bulb.

H4 Osram Nightbreakers solve that quite nicely.

2ZZ_mofo

Gaz mr-s

2ZZ_mofo

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 31, 2023, 23:50Wiring info work?

Well, they worked it out before I had a chance to pass it to them. But it's the same diagram they eventually used that you sent me so it's in the tech file for future reference.

Really appreciate the assistance Gaz! 👍👍

Tags: