speaker issues

Started by Zxrob, October 27, 2019, 19:49

Zxrob

Hi all

Passenger side speaker is not working, slight noise from the tweater at the top, I suppose the easiest way to check is door cards off and swap them over, if that does not work, what next

Cheers Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

s12vea

Easy enough to take the door card off and check.
Is the Head unit standard? If not check the iso connector on back of unit.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Zxrob

Quote from: s12vea on October 27, 2019, 19:58Easy enough to take the door card off and check.
Is the Head unit standard? If not check the iso connector on back of unit.

My head unit is a standard mr2 one , I have just replaced it with a functioning one, as the original in the car was hit and miss if it worked, the speaker is the same on both units

Cheers Rob

s12vea

Hopefully it's just the speaker has failed. Or if they are after market speakers fitted could be loose connections or broken wire
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Zxrob

I'll investigate next weekend, time and weather permitting

Rob

Carolyn

I have a couple of spares kicking around...
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bossworld

This happened on my mum's car (driver's side)

Transpires the door speaker was knackered, though no visible issue/tear etc.

Had Dick Sloan send out one from a breaker as I didn't have time to start making MDF rings etc. for aftermarket ones (though I know that would be a far better option).

If you have time you can whip the door cards off as you've suggested as the connector will work on the 'other' side speaker. Though I think the speaker connection position is handed so you will need one for the proper side.

Bit of a ghetto fix but on my stepdad's suggestion we wrapped the rear of the replacement in a plastic bag, in case it had been caused by water ingress.

Zxrob

Well it turned out it was the speaker gone

All fixed now :)

Rob

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bossworld on October 28, 2019, 16:22This happened on my mum's car (driver's side)

Had Dick Sloan send out one from a breaker as I didn't have time to start making MDF rings etc. for aftermarket ones (though I know that would be a far better option).

If you have time you can whip the door cards off as you've suggested as the connector will work on the 'other' side speaker. Though I think the speaker connection position is handed so you will need one for the proper side.

Bit of a ghetto fix but on my stepdad's suggestion we wrapped the rear of the replacement in a plastic bag, in case it had been caused by water ingress.

In case anybody is hitting this issue and fancies a speaker upgrade - just search for "Speaker Adaptor for Toyota Corolla E12 MR2 Avensis 165mm 6.5 Speaker" should get you some options for speaker plastics for ~£5 inc delivery on Amazon/eBay and then you can just fit a decent set of 6.5" speakers....
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bossworld

Quote from: BahnStormer on November 11, 2019, 13:01
Quote from: Bossworld on October 28, 2019, 16:22This happened on my mum's car (driver's side)

In case anybody is hitting this issue and fancies a speaker upgrade - just search for "Speaker Adaptor for Toyota Corolla E12 MR2 Avensis 165mm 6.5 Speaker" should get you some options for speaker plastics for ~£5 inc delivery on Amazon/eBay and then you can just fit a decent set of 6.5" speakers....

Good knowledge, wish I'd known that at the time!

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bossworld on November 11, 2019, 15:27Good knowledge, wish I'd known that at the time!

Ta. Sorry, I realise the advice is a little late and not trying to rub it in... just trying to give the next people in the same position an easy out.

By the time you've bought a nice set of components and the required Dynamat, it will cost a lot more... but at least you get an audio upgrade for the hassle and I couldn't bring myself to fork out ANY money for the ropey cardboard Nokias that were in my car as stock....
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Not That Matt

Quote from: BahnStormer on November 11, 2019, 13:01In case anybody is hitting this issue and fancies a speaker upgrade - just search for "Speaker Adaptor for Toyota Corolla E12 MR2 Avensis 165mm 6.5 Speaker" should get you some options for speaker plastics for ~£5 inc delivery on Amazon/eBay and then you can just fit a decent set of 6.5" speakers....

Yes, they are much better than making your own. I used them when replacing the horrors of past bodges and they worked a treat. One of the previous owners used MDF and it was disintegrating, though better than on the passenger side where the (broken, mismatched) speaker was just flopping about. I'm quite happy with the JBL Stage 600CE units, the tweeter fits perfectly in the original tweeter hole with the rear cup glues on to the back to retain it. They would benefit from an amp.

BahnStormer

Very neat - not sure if the back section of padding is overkill though.

I use Dynamat Xtreme (I think the pack is for 2 x 10"x10") and I only cover the front section of the door, approx 2 inches either side of a 6.5" speaker and then I put the circular cut out on the inside of the door directly behind the hole - no idea if the last bit makes a difference though - just seems a waste not to.... definitely no vibrations or feel any sense that I need to pad out the back of the door.... that said - it's probably double the weight and cost of the regular Dynamat / other padding.

Not That Matt

More than likely, but the plastic sheet had been well damaged by the last person in there so it's solving two problems. I did inside the door as well for extra overkill. The meterial was left over from my brother's Defender which is partly why there's a lot of funny shapes. The doors do have a nice thunk now!

BahnStormer

Quote from: Not That Matt on November 18, 2019, 20:05The doors do have a nice thunk now!

That's why I put hte extra circle on the outside layer - just a little more damping to stop any rattles from the speakers, etc...

Bossworld

Seeing as winter maintenance hasn't been as taxing as previous years, I revisited this thread and I've ordered these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Stereo-Speaker-Wire-Harness-2pcs-Horn-Speaker-Adapter-for-Toyota/173939418692?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hopefully the right ones!

The hunt is now on for some speakers, the JBL 600CE seem the sensible option if the tweeters fit, I'm a little unsure as to what will need to be crimped/soldered wiring wise.

On the other hand I wondered if these were worth a punt for £20 less?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001MWX0SY/?coliid=I2KQGIQJMBRYDZ&colid=ZKU2NPZRC6YI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Bossworld

Got some cheapo speakers from Halfords, starting to wonder if I made a rod for my own back ditching the original tweeters.  Just trying to figure out how to secure mine now.  I smashed the old tweeter casing off the original bracket but found the circle part is pretty much part of the structure.  Was probably going to go without those brackets unless they do something to support the doorcard itself (seems unlikely).

Call the midlife!

I think I 3m taped and cable tied mine in place, I had other issues with the chrome ringed tweeter covers on the door cards not fitting over mine. Out with the Dremmel...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 29, 2020, 16:03I think I 3m taped and cable tied mine in place, I had other issues with the chrome ringed tweeter covers on the door cards not fitting over mine. Out with the Dremmel...

I've got some metal retaining rings with the new ones and some backing covers. Pushing everything together into the doorcard it's about 80% snug but thinking of maybe using a dab of silicone on the rear side of the doorcard? Mine will have to be mounted through the card I haven't got the patience to try and line up to the original mount and it'd leave a hole

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 29, 2020, 16:03I think I 3m taped and cable tied mine in place, I had other issues with the chrome ringed tweeter covers on the door cards not fitting over mine. Out with the Dremmel...

I decided to (didn't have any adhesive in the house!) silicone mine in place, hopefully means no vibration and they'll cope with doors being opened and shut. They're only on the slightest of angles towards people now but hey ho

Just wondering what you did with your crossovers? I've stuck mine to the reverse of my flashing but that means they're the wrong side of the plastic sheeting (if that even does much anyway).

Struggling to think of where they can go in front of the sheet, other than possibly up near the upper handle securing screw. But there's none of the black tarry stuff on that part of the plastic anyway

Thinking maybe just clingfilming it or using a plastic bag and zip ties? Is there even any point? The new woofers won't have the plastic shrouding of the originals, but that soggy MDF a few posts up is giving me food for thought

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on January 30, 2020, 17:32

I decided to (didn't have any adhesive in the house!) silicone mine in place, hopefully means no vibration and they'll cope with doors being opened and shut. They're only on the slightest of angles towards people now but hey ho

Just wondering what you did with your crossovers? I've stuck mine to the reverse of my flashing but that means they're the wrong side of the plastic sheeting (if that even does much anyway).

Struggling to think of where they can go in front of the sheet, other than possibly up near the upper handle securing screw. But there's none of the black tarry stuff on that part of the plastic anyway

Thinking maybe just clingfilming it or using a plastic bag and zip ties? Is there even any point? The new woofers won't have the plastic shrouding of the originals, but that soggy MDF a few posts up is giving me food for thought
I'm sure I just stuck my tweeters to the existing door mounts with the double sided pad to stop vibration and secured them with the ties. I got some small connectors with bare tails and linked them to the existing crossovers etc. So everything is pretty much covered by the original plastic, I think, having said that the original plastic bit the dust last year.
60% of the time it works everytime...

mr9

Are the cheap ones a noticeable improvement on stock?

I'm thinking of adding to the pit of money I'm spending on the car and wondering how much you need to spend for "decent" speakers.

I had a sub but couldn't get on with fitting it under the dash and not sure I want it right by my legs if I was to crash.

Bossworld

Quote from: mr9 on April  1, 2020, 13:29Are the cheap ones a noticeable improvement on stock?

I'm thinking of adding to the pit of money I'm spending on the car and wondering how much you need to spend for "decent" speakers.

I had a sub but couldn't get on with fitting it under the dash and not sure I want it right by my legs if I was to crash.

From the limited time I've had back in the car this month, those cheapo Halfords ones were fine. I do have an all in one sub in the rear bin though.

Difficult to define improvement but they are clearer than stock, perhaps at the expense of low end (I did a 50/50 test in that other thread I started).

Tags: