Cheap "TRD" Oil Filler Cap

Started by househead, November 5, 2019, 12:46

househead

So I was looking for a nice bling oil filler cap, and seeing the price of the expensive TRD ones, figured I'd get a generic metal one. Price was £12 ish. Upon it arriving I was pleasantly surprised to see it in a TRD branded box with a cool TRD sticker.

This is the item if anyone is interested ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Fuel-Filler-Racing-Engine-Tank-Cap-Cover-Plug-For-Toyota-Lexus-Chrome-U3/192901372662?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And this is more-or-less what the item looks like with the sticker it comes with (not shown in the listing above)...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TRD-TOYOTA-MATRIX-2003-2013-TRD-OIL-CAP-BILLET-ALUMINUM-PTR041210802/293166592899?hash=item4442173383:g:uboAAOSwvipdPAzK

No idea if it's genuine but it looks the part and fits well (comes with an O ring too).

Nice bit of engine bay bling IMO.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

barchetta_ms

Thanks for the heads up on that - I've taken a punt on it and ordered one too

Petrus

Tempted but ... no.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Alex Knight

The world is awash with counterfeit/fake goods, which causes people no end of problems, let alone serious safety issues (cheap steel steering wheels from China bending in half etc).

Please please please do not promote or proliferate this dangerous and illegal counterfeit trade on the forum.

Call the midlife!

Top tip, make sure you fit your totally benign oil filler cap in the correct position BEFORE you stick the sticker on if you want it to be properly oriented on the engine cover. ie the lettering the right way up 😂
60% of the time it works everytime...

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Alex Knight on November  9, 2019, 10:04The world is awash with counterfeit/fake goods, which causes people no end of problems, let alone serious safety issues (cheap steel steering wheels from China bending in half etc).

Please please please do not promote or proliferate this dangerous and illegal counterfeit trade on the forum.

As far as any item with a safety aspect such as the examples you quote, I completely agree with you. Which is why I had to pay over £70 for a steering wheel boss.

But in terms of a blingy filler cap....?  £55.... they are having a laugh.
If the cheaper one does the job & looks decent, - fine by me.

househead

Quote from: Alex Knight on November  9, 2019, 10:04The world is awash with counterfeit/fake goods, which causes people no end of problems, let alone serious safety issues (cheap steel steering wheels from China bending in half etc).

Firstly I had no idea I was ordering a fake TRD item or a real TRD item. It wasn't labelled as TRD at all.

Second point ... there is actually a half decent chance that it is genuine. The box certainly looks genuine, and if they were selling counterfeit TRD goods, surely they'd market it as a genuine item rather than a generic unbranded one?

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November  9, 2019, 10:20Top tip, make sure you fit your totally benign oil filler cap in the correct position BEFORE you stick the sticker on if you want it to be properly oriented on the engine cover. ie the lettering the right way up 😂

This is a very important tip and one that came to me as I slapped the sticker on (not with the cap screwed in). Thankfully a tiny flat head screwdriver came to my rescue!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: househead on November  9, 2019, 11:31
Quote from: Call the midlife! on November  9, 2019, 10:20Top tip, make sure you fit your totally benign oil filler cap in the correct position BEFORE you stick the sticker on if you want it to be properly oriented on the engine cover. ie the lettering the right way up 😂

This is a very important tip and one that came to me as I slapped the sticker on (not with the cap screwed in). Thankfully a tiny flat head screwdriver came to my rescue!
It'll come unstuck from the heat soon anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much 😂

Ozzy

I wouldn't recommend these at all. These are definatly replicas and once the cap has been opened/closed a couple of times, they  unscrew them selves under load. Had this happen 3 TRD replica caps I brought.

Originally thought there was something wrong with my engine but soon as I swapped it for another oil cap made by a major brand, never happened again.

househead

Quote from: Ozzy on November 11, 2019, 23:02I wouldn't recommend these at all. These are definatly replicas and once the cap has been opened/closed a couple of times, they  unscrew them selves under load. Had this happen 3 TRD replica caps I brought.

Originally thought there was something wrong with my engine but soon as I swapped it for another oil cap made by a major brand, never happened again.

I will keep my eyes open for this! Don't want the thing unscrewing itself!

Alex Knight

Quote from: Ozzy on November 11, 2019, 23:02I wouldn't recommend these at all. These are definatly replicas and once the cap has been opened/closed a couple of times, they  unscrew them selves under load. Had this happen 3 TRD replica caps I brought.

Just another reason to not support the counterfeit goods trade.
Thanks for sharing.

Petrus

Quote from: househead on November 11, 2019, 23:32I will keep my eyes open for this! Don't want the thing unscrewing itself!

By all means do as that is common sense but don´t worry. Things like that are, bar exceptions, anecdotal and then become self confirming myth.

Imo the plastic caps are the most reliable, regardless of manufacturer. The friction on the thread and the grip by slightly more flex makes for a tighter cap. Also lighter so case closed imo ;-)
I even saw a TRD one somewhere on a UK site.
Lost track of it :-(
Would like one.
Here a picture and note why:

Call the midlife!

Just make sure it has a fairly soft rubber seal to it to provide resistance against the threads. A lot of the dirt cheap ones have a semi-solid washer which doesn't "push back" against the cap when you nip it up.

Carolyn

One of our members was just complaining of oil down the inlet side of the engine and around the injectors.

I did suggest checking his filler cap was tight!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 12, 2019, 11:44Just make sure it has a fairly soft rubber seal to it to provide resistance against the threads. A lot of the dirt cheap ones have a semi-solid washer which doesn't "push back" against the cap when you nip it up.

Yea, the one I got came with a decent rubber O ring. Definitely helps with the seal as you can feel the resistance unscrewing it.

Tags: