Swapping out the dish on pfl headlights

Started by jvanzyl, November 16, 2019, 23:10

jvanzyl

So I was wondering. Is it theoretically possible to swap out the reflector dish on a pfl headlight for a 7" sealed unit?
Like this:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/assemblies/headlight-assemblies/morimoto-sealed7-2-0-led-jeep-7-inch-headlights.html?preselect=52285%2C52377

Then up to you if kept the main lens cover or not... Almost a bit like an old Datsun.. No idea if the indicator bulb would survive the out doors..

Ardent

No idea.
But I like the way you're thinking.

Petrus

Since this is a self contained comple unit the OEM unit would only need to serve as a mounting base and headlight cover.
PFL or FL alike.

Call the midlife!

I'm sure it's been done already in different formats but don't remember seeing one with the standard cover on as well, only with "exposed" led assemblies.
The one you linked to seems to have integrated indicators too?
60% of the time it works everytime...

jvanzyl

So far no nay sayers! This is a first for me!

Now to find some trashed headlights and experiment...

Call the midlife!

I did see a recent post on Facebook about someone failing the MOT for having LED bulbs fitted but they were (I think) incorrectly fitted in standard units, with these being designed units I think you'd be ok.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 17, 2019, 09:49I did see a recent post on Facebook about someone failing the MOT for having LED bulbs fitted but they were (I think) incorrectly fitted in standard units, with these being designed units I think you'd be ok.

That would, apart from colour obviously, be either because of too much circular stray or an incorrect dipped beam pattern.

Legally it is not permitted to mod the reflector, type of filament or even wattage at all.
The inspectors however only look at colour and beam pattern. Well, as long as it lóóks like the OEM headlights ofcourse.
Over here they even object to a partial cover of the bonnet side upstanding part. ALthough I think it lóóks bad, it ís actually a sensible mod as it covers the distracting lit up edges.

Tags: