Spoiler alert

Started by Petrus, November 17, 2019, 14:18

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November 23, 2019, 14:59
Quote from: Petrus on November 23, 2019, 14:14You do put you finger on the why of the Spyder´s 0.35 (or .38 even, depending on the source): Looks.

IIRC that's even worse than that ugly box Merc W124, right? :O

The current Ford Transit van is 0.32 ;-O
The Prius is 0.24 and.... has a rear spoiler.

Petrus

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November 23, 2019, 15:28Dear lord. It's almost impossible to comprehend how a low, sporty-stylish car can be that bad in aerodynamics. How much would stock diffusers and splitters help? Does the TRD/C-One style spoiler help or make it worse?

They will not change the overall airfoil shape of the car so nothing spectacular can be gained overall.
Aero mods cán however alter the overall behaviour of the car because a change of 0.2 - 0.4 overall times the surface of the car top/bottom is a lót of force.
The aero changes to the various versions of the R33 and R34 GTR are very illustrative. Small variations in overall Cw had stunning improvements in roadholding, downforce, stability.

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November 23, 2019, 15:55Like what specifically?

Air dam, front spoiler, underbumper lip, rear wing/spoiler with/without Guerney flap (aka whicker), trunk lip.

The rear spoiler below p.e. was part of the M-spec package

but you can find a lót about it under your fingers.

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November 23, 2019, 16:32That car is a beauty, but I was thinking specifically about MR2. Do you perhaps have a picture of a good example of a Mk3 like that?

Mine has three minor mods that work surprisingly well. One is the OEM-like front under bumper lip.
The oother hood vents and the last a lip behind the rear deck. One effect of te latter was noted by both GFs; it improves the flow over the front windscreen; less chaotic turbulence at hair level. I also noted two dust ´traps´; right in front and the other below. This means still/slow air there, meaning it really is a tear off lip for the air.

I háve seen a photo of a very nice easthetics subjective) steup on the Mk.3: it had the GTC 200 type 3D wing in combo with the small air lip. For now I can only find it blurred on Spyderchat.

Petrus

Here is an example of a Veilside setup on the Mk.2 which should work really well (probably wind tunnel tested)  in cleaning up the turbulence behind the car while at the same time generating negative lift; downforce: Possibly impróving Cw while reducing lift.

They, Veilside, were responsible for building the Tokyo Drift 350Z and ... surprise!!!

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November 23, 2019, 17:51So in essence this:

In essence ... only hálf; note the missing deck edge/lip.

This one looks good:

Petrus

The SBW arrived.
Had to wait for a dry sky moment to pick the parcel up; although it fíts with the roof up, it needed to be folded to gét it in  ;D

Looks better quality than I expected.
Really no need to paint. Especially the airfoil finish is imo véry nice satin black.

The whole thing assembled weighs only 4.3 kilos  :o

Because everything is angled, measuring the correct spots to drill needs some attention. Oh and broad masking paper. Will get some tomorrow.

Petrus

It´s all taped and marked, but light was failing and I decided to get a fresh drill bit this morning.
Now I have the bit but time has gone .... complicated.
Got to present myself at the hospital early tomorrow morning for an operation first thing Monday.
This means I will need to do several things this afternoon. Incl. some at the coast meaning 2 hrs travel time lost.
..... :o

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on November 28, 2019, 11:51It´s all taped and marked, but light was failing and I decided to get a fresh drill bit this morning.
Now I have the bit but time has gone .... complicated.
Got to present myself at the hospital early tomorrow morning for an operation first thing Monday.
This means I will need to do several things this afternoon. Incl. some at the coast meaning 2 hrs travel time lost.
..... :o
Hope all is OK. Sudden surgeries doesn't sound good. Mucha suerte.
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Thanks but it was ´planned´; coming up for months. Just a sudden NÓW!!

Found a moment and it´s on.
Rather SillyBig  :o  :o    ;D

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on November 28, 2019, 12:57Thanks but it was ´planned´; coming up for months. Just a sudden NÓW!!

Found a moment and it´s on.
Rather SillyBig  :o  :o    ;D
Pics or it didnt happen :D

Petrus

Photos in Belle´s thread  8)

J88TEO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTREME-DIMENSIONS-113713-2000-2005-Toyota-MRS-MR2-Spyder-Carbon-Creations-TD300/352859573037?hash=item522811cb2d:g:AJ4AAOSwRs1d08dk
Brand:Carbon Creations
Kit Material:Carbon Fiber
Vehicle Make:Toyota
Vehicle Model:MRS
Vehicle Year Start:2000
Vehicle Year End:2005
Style Name:TD3000
Product Type:Wing

OR
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTREME-DIMENSIONS-113714-2000-2005-Toyota-MRS-MR2-Spyder-Duraflex-TD3000-Wing-S/352859573897?hash=item522811ce89:g:gRkAAOSw5fBd08eE
Brand:Duraflex
Kit Material:FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastics)
Vehicle Make:Toyota
Vehicle Model:MRS
Vehicle Year Start:2000
Vehicle Year End:2005
Style Name:TD3000
Product Type:Wing

Petrus

Bought, shipped and mounted, 85€ all in  ;)

Petrus

Did some 300 kms with the wing now. Jst back into the mountains. The last 30 or so kms of B-road were one continuous mud slide; not a single meter of clean/cry tarmac. Thus did not break any speed records but I thouroughly enjoyed the extra stability. No sure if the extra confidence this inspires add up to extra safety because there will not be much if any extra grip but it sure adds to the enjoyment.
All in all I think the sillybigwing should be in the performance sub forum: I have the impréssion that is gives some extra traction from about 80 km/h but it sure massively increases stability.

Petrus

Have a look at this ´Sports´ Citroen rear end:

- A Kamm tail.
- The dividing piece between vertical rear glass and the inclined window is formed into a flow tear of ledge.
- The wing tilts slightly úpwards but has an angle of attack relative to the air flow following the rear window downwards.
- The rear of the wing and rear of the lip are vertically above eachoter; the lower lip increasing the speed of the flow under the wing, increasing it´s efficiency.

Petrus

WD40 and the rubbers a bit out worked! Pops open again!!

Tags: