Rear Wind deflectors

Started by garpat32, February 4, 2020, 21:01

garpat32

::)

Are they snake oil or a worthy addition?

Cheers.

Call the midlife!

If you're talking about the little flap behind the seats then yeah, they do make a difference, not massively but definitely a difference.
60% of the time it works everytime...

garpat32

Oh, it already has one? I was thinking it was an option or a mod. 🤭😳

Call the midlife!

😂😂😂😂 it SHOULD have one, although it's not unknown for people to remove them to save weight, much like the sun visors.
They flip up or down and nestle in a recess just above the rear bins when down.

garpat32

😄😄😄

Admittedly, I've not taken the hardtop off since I got it so didn't take notice if it has one. Lol.

Bossworld

I've got an oversized one on mine, can't say it makes as much difference as the 'proper' ones you can get for say a Volvo C70 or Audi A3 but then again I've not put it down in years  ;D

Bernie

Aftermarket option

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/630156424

You cannot view this attachment.
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

garpat32

Thanks everyone, I'll have to get the roof off and have a try to see what it's like.

Cheers.

Ardent

Get it off and leave it off.

Smithy

It's just dawned on me,I'm slowly and subconsciously trying to get my car to look like Bernies.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

Just a heads up, his is as polished inside as outside, and by inside, I mean the engine.

garpat32

Yeh, got the hardtop off today and see the "small" deflector 😄

Still a bit cold for roof down though 😟😟

J88TEO

I concur!
Too bl**dy cold for topless driving - a couple more months and then ya...

Joesson

Quote from: J88TEO on February  5, 2020, 09:40I concur!
Too bl**dy cold for topless driving - a couple more months and then ya...

Definitely not as ardent as some about top down motoring!

garpat32

Will pop it down later on way home if it's still sunny, see if the wind deflector does out ;D

Carolyn

Quote from: garpat32 on February  5, 2020, 10:53Will pop it down later on way home if it's still sunny, see if the wind deflector does out ;D
You'll find that it does.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: garpat32 on February  5, 2020, 09:37Yeh, got the hardtop off today and see the "small" deflector 😄

Still a bit cold for roof down though 😟😟

It makes a surprising difference. When I turned onto the highway yesterday, immediately! registered that I had forgotten to pop it up.

24 degrees C. in the mountains yesterday btw.

Partly clouded and only just above 20 at the coast today.
Going out for a spin and drink with tapas on the beach in a moment. Will try take photos.

Another outing planned for tomorow. Forecasted to be lightly cooler but will be out topless no matter what. Well, bar rain. Plan to take some more photos.

For saturday another plan yet again. This time into the interior. Probably no photos; she´s still a recent development and a bit of a v.i.p. so not keen on being photographed. Maybe Sunday morning. Véry lovely red hair though; worth a snap; the smooth movement in the not that turbulent air looks totally Hollywood at B-road speeds, say up to 80 km/h. I will not try take a photo while driving, may be she will do a selfy. With the flap down it is more turbulent.

Back to aero, the small rubber boot edge lip made a small difference too; less turbulence over the windscreen top. The big wing ditto but more noticeable.

Back to ´cold´; just put on a jacket, turn up the collar and the heating. Our MR has a furnace type heating!

Ardent

@garpat32 @J88TEO

The heaters on these brilliant.
Plenty warm enough for top down motoring.

Petrus

All the aero stuff in one photo; no bullsh@t   8)

Call the midlife!

We'll let you get used to the wind deflector for a while before introducing you to "Mongos"...

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February  5, 2020, 22:24We'll let you get used to the wind deflector for a while before introducing you to "Mongos"...

Slight thread hijack here, but if you know of anywhere to buy these, do let us know!

I realise I can get some made from a plan but I'm too lazy to go that route I think  O:-)
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Call the midlife!

Quote from: househead on February  5, 2020, 22:31
Quote from: Call the midlife! on February  5, 2020, 22:24We'll let you get used to the wind deflector for a while before introducing you to "Mongos"...

Slight thread hijack here, but if you know of anywhere to buy these, do let us know!

I realise I can get some made from a plan but I'm too lazy to go that route I think  O:-)
If I see any I'll sort you out but I don't think they were made in any great number so they don't change hands very often, I was lucky to acquire a set from a smashing chap last year as I also gave up after 2 attempts at making some.😂

garpat32

Petrus

I should have the email address of the bloke who still makes them. Will have a look tonight.

Bernie

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Tags: