Classic sportscar inside

Started by Petrus, February 24, 2020, 12:55

Petrus

Added chrome ring tweeter covers. That is how they are called. They don´t áctually cover tweeters; I deleted those  O:-)

All in all looking a lot more classic ´sportscar´. Very much like my old Alfa Gulia GT 1300 Junior and it´s Spider sister.

Petrus

Btw this Alfa Spider was called the Duetto, which is the diminuative of play for two. Very much like runabout for two really  ;)

Chriss

It is looking well and certainly you are achieving what you have set out to do, I do like the polished metal look it classic cars, maybe your AC dials should be changed for metal ones similar to the Havoc ones, it has transformed my interior.

Petrus

Quote from: Chriss on February 26, 2020, 11:29It is looking well and certainly you are achieving what you have set out to do, I do like the polished metal look it classic cars, maybe your AC dials should be changed for metal ones similar to the Havoc ones, it has transformed my interior.

Thanks for the suggestion but imo clashes with the chrome rings imo.

paulj

If they added weight they wouldn't be going in!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Hext007

im afraid I don't get the whole remove the airbag thing, I know none of us wants to have an accident but if you do, OMG, for me its style over safety, but thankfully were all different otherwise it would be a boring world. The other one I don't get is subwoofers mounted in the drivers footwell, smashed up legs or good sounds?

Petrus

For one the airbag is not. It is an explosive device which must be switched off if yiu have a kid in the passenger seat.
Secondly they are no ónly safe, cause injuries and the MR2 has a very confined cabin where the damage is more likely.
Lastly we have actively retracting safety belts.

The legal perspective is that safety belts are mandatory and explosive bags not. This has good reason.

I have fundamental reasons to NOT want them in my MR2.
And in addition to being tricky explosibe buggers, they are heavy.

The sound system and speakers I removed because I don´t use it and it thus is ballast I can do without.

Hext007

Well why are airbags in every new car, and seen as a massive bonus in car safety, plus the fiat 500 had 5 star safety rating due to number of airbags and ford ka only 4, when they are the same car. I'm afraid you can justify it as much as you want in your head, but you are wrong. Ps it's only for children in rear facing car seats, yes they cause minor injury, but nothing like smashing your face up on a wooden steering wheel.

Call the midlife!

Remember when Stirling Moss crashed and bent his three spoke steering wheel round his head? No? Neither can he...
60% of the time it works everytime...

steveash

I think the normal reason to remove airbags is because there are harnesses fitted so the drivers nose should never reach the wheel. You'll never see an airbag on a track car.

Petrus

Quote from: Hext007 on February 29, 2020, 22:00Well why are airbags in every new car,
Oh mán...
New cars weigh twice as much as 20th C. ones.

My facts remain. They are not aírbags. Í consider them unsafe and am content with the automatic tightening safety belts.

You don´t get it? Fine by me.
Í don´t get this passive safety hysteria. See Peltzman effect.p.s.

I also took the electric steering pump out.
And I have a 20% shorter stopping distance.
Hail áctive safety! :-)

Oh and an advanced driving course does more that ány number of airbags too. Especially for those not hit by a heavy safe car.

Tags: