Good evening

Started by stuart, February 27, 2020, 21:44

stuart

Hi there. Now I know that what I'm about to ask has been covered in the past but to be honest reading the comments just leaves me more confused..it's about wheels...mine are coming up for a referb...and I know.. but keep reading.. I fancy these 17" D1R BPL ALLOY WHEELS...can anyone give me a definitive answer about offset tyre size etc ... sorry to have probably bored you all..but it's a lot of money to pay and find out they rub etc... totally standard 06 car
Regards Stuart

Ardent

search for web site will they fit.
Good starting point.

17s are viewed by the majority on here as cosmetic only.
Some like how they drive, but not many.

I would suggest trying to find a ride in one before committing wine tokens.

Edit
Do you like how yours drives now?
Do you think it will be better on 17s?

stuart

Thanks for your comment..I like the drive on the standard wheels yes it's brilliant..I expect it's a cosmetic thing as I don't like the amount of tyre on the front compared with the rear wheels plus the front wheel itself doesn't seem to fill the arch enough.. nothing against the style of the wheels at all they are a good looking wheel and easy to clean and locally I can get them refurbished in a few nice colo0urs including shadow sliver for £188.. would a pair of rear standard wheels go on the front with wider tyres on the back and thinner on the front that would be great for me ..

Gaz mr-s

Are you determined to spoil the handling of your car Stuart?  Because of the limited variety of tyres that are available 1n 15 & 16" that fit the car, some folk go up one size of tyre width on the front. They may then go up one width on the back, but not always.

I've seen mention of people trying wide fronts & not liking them. I believe guys that race them sometimes put the wider 15" rear from a pfl on the front of an FL, - maybe someone can confirm.

Bear in mind too the 16" rear wheel is quite a bit heavier than the 15" front...so changing that is slowing the car.   Ditto 17" wheels & 17" tyres... weight!

Wheel arch space... you could alter the springs or use spacers.  I have a set of spacers that I bought from a club member (ie off an MR2) but I have aftermarket wheels & nuts & can't use them.  PM me if you want info.

shnazzle

I do agree 17s look fantastic. The sp12 alloys we had are undeniably one of the best looks on the car.
We had
SP12 7.5j et45 + Uniroyal Rainsport 3s 205/40/17 weighs 15.5kg-ish (Front)
SP12 8j et50 + Uniroyal Rainsport 3s 245/40/17 weighs 18kg-ish (Rear)
And Matt did get them sized very well for the MR2.

I believe the tyre size on the rear was a bit oversized if I'm not mistake, should be 235, so we scraped a little on lowered tte springs. But on the intended setup that size never scrapes

We went back to 15/16 due to not liking the handling
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

On a stock car 17" heavier wheels will effect the handling and performance

Mostly work better on cars with upgraded engines either turbo, 2ZZ etc

Note Pats comment above many end up going back to stock

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

SV-3

Quote from: Bernie on February 28, 2020, 08:10On a stock car 17" heavier wheels will effect the handling and performance

Mostly work better on cars with upgraded engines either turbo, 2ZZ etc

Note Pats comment above many end up going back to stock

"Stock Cubed" 8)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

stuart

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 28, 2020, 01:11Are you determined to spoil the handling of your car Stuart?  Because of the limited variety of tyres that are available 1n 15 & 16" that fit the car, some folk go up one size of tyre width on the front. They may then go up one width on the back, but not always.

I've seen mention of people trying wide fronts & not liking them. I believe guys that race them sometimes put the wider 15" rear from a pfl on the front of an FL, - maybe someone can confirm.

Bear in mind too the 16" rear wheel is quite a bit heavier than the 15" front...so changing that is slowing the car.   Ditto 17" wheels & 17" tyres... weight!

Wheel arch space... you could alter the springs or use spacers.  I have a set of spacers that I bought from a club member (ie off an MR
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 28, 2020, 01:11Are you determined to spoil the handling of your car Stuart?  Because of the limited variety of tyres that are available 1n 15 & 16" that fit the car, some folk go up one size of tyre width on the front. They may then go up one width on the back, but not always.

Wheel arch space... you could alter the springs or use spacers.  I have a set of spacers that I bought from a club member (ie off an MR2) but I have aftermarket wheels & nuts & can't use them.  PM me if you want info.
2) but I have aftermarket wheels & nuts & can't use them.  PM me if you want info.
sorry you start off having a dig then mentioned spring hight and spacers etc ..I'm sure that would alter the handling... anyway I don't like lowered cars dragging their arse along the road...then you say you have aftermarket wheels on yours ...I don't understand

Gaz mr-s

Sorry you felt I was having a go, it was meant to be more light-hearted than that.

There's a big difference between slightly lowered & "dragging the arse along the ground".
A common mod is changing to Tein springs. The drop is approx 30mm. It does give the car a better stance.
But not a good idea unless the shocks are fresh.

Another option is to cut a little off the O/E springs. A few have done so. 

Since you like the look of the std wheels why not keep them?  They are pretty light, - can't be said for many stock wheels.

I have aftermarket wheels, but in stock diameters. They need aftermarket nuts too, & the ones I use don't give enough thread to allow the spacers. They are ok with O/E wheels though.

stuart

Thanks for clarifying the situation..I wouldn't cut springs down to size not recommended at all .on the topic of different manufacturers wheels I have looked at that option however most manufacturers don't or won't supply staggered sizes as the originals...well not in my choices any way perhaps you would be kind enough to post a picture of your car ... thanks for your comments

stuart

I like these https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/rota/grid/gun-metal-polished-lip/16-inch/toyota/mr2/mk3-roadster

But can't find them in staggered sizes ... opinions welcome on these obviously with staggered tyre width
Thanks
Or it's looking like a refurbishment of the originals.. expect that they have done well as would be first refurbishment

Bernie

Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 15:48I like these https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/rota/grid/gun-metal-polished-lip/16-inch/toyota/mr2/mk3-roadster

But can't find them in staggered sizes ... opinions welcome on these obviously with staggered tyre width
Thanks
Or it's looking like a refurbishment of the originals.. expect that they have done well as would be first refurbishment

Might be worth trying Demon Tweeks they supplied my previous Rota's in staggered sizes
Readers Ride

SV-3

Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 15:31Thanks for clarifying the situation..I wouldn't cut springs down to size not recommended at all .on the topic of different manufacturers wheels I have looked at that option however most manufacturers don't or won't supply staggered sizes as the originals...well not in my choices any way perhaps you would be kind enough to post a picture of your car ... thanks for your comments
Hi Stuart
Lowered c/w stock wheels...
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

stuart

Quote from: SV-3 on February 28, 2020, 16:05
Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 15:31Thanks for clarifying the situation..I wouldn't cut springs down to size not recommended at all .on the topic of different manufacturers wheels I have looked at that option however most manufacturers don't or won't supply staggered sizes as the originals...well not in my choices any way perhaps you would be kind enough to post a picture of your car ... thanks for your comments
Hi Stuart

That's really nice...iv found these with staggered tyre sizes..in 16" I'd appreciate your comments thanks

https://m.rimstyle.com/pages/basket/

stuart

Hi Stuart

Looking good!!

stuart

Quote from: Bernie on February 28, 2020, 16:04
Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 15:48I like these https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/rota/grid/gun-metal-polished-lip/16-inch/toyota/mr2/mk3-roadster

Thanks

Might be worth trying Demon Tweeks they supplied my previous Rota's in staggered sizes

Thanks for your reply and help in regards to the staggered sizes did you go for 16 rear and 15 front or 17 rear and 16 front?
Regards

stuart

Hi Stuart

Very nice looking car thanks for posting

Carolyn

I've been following this thread and biting my tongue a little. I do think it's generally agreed, that for everyday road use, the standard suspension and wheel set-up is as good as it gets.

As I pointed out to Shnazzle while we were working on his lowered car (he has BC adjustable struts) that you can't see the outside of the car while you're driving it!!

All of these cars are getting a little long in the tooth, and a refresh of the stock suspension works wonders.

To me these silly little cars are about driving fun more than anything, and I don't really care about 'looks'.

My vote is refurbish what you've got and spend the savings on new shocks and a-arms. ;D
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on February 28, 2020, 18:51I've been following this thread and biting my tongue a
As I pointed out to Shnazzle while we were working on his lowered car (he has BC adjustable struts) that you can't see the outside of the car while you're driving it!!

Spot on.

Very much like the soúnd of the exhaust: Who cares how it sounds to onlookers? It´s how it sounds while driving that matters! and with road holding it´s that to the power of it.

Now the caveat is that if you never drive the car like you stole it, 17" will be fine and yes, they do look more modern ;-)

Bernie

Demon Tweeks supplied 15" fronts 16" rears

Lowered on Tein MonoFlex Coilovers

You cannot view this attachment.
Readers Ride

stuart

Quote from: Carolyn on February 28, 2020, 18:51I've been following this thread and biting my tongue a little. I do think it's generally agreed, that for everyday road use, the standard suspension and wheel set-up is as good as it gets.

All of these cars are getting a little long in the tooth, and a refresh of the stock suspension works wonders.

To me these silly little cars are about driving fun more than anything, and I don't really care about 'looks'.

My vote is refurbish what you've got and spend the savings on new shocks and a-arms. ;D

Yes well thanks for your odd comments..I don't really think of my car as being"silly" I quite like it that's why I kept it..I like the look of it and as it's only done 21000 miles from new and always always over serviced it's never used any oil/ coolant etc...used for summer runs only so I don't rate it as (long in the tooth)..and I don't intend lowering it as I can hardly get over the speed humps in our area now...yes I am probably just looking to asthetically improving the wheels only...but as I'm not Lewis Hamilton and never will be I'm fine with that thanks...if I want to get an adrenaline rush I go out on my Kawasaki z1000..but I appreciate you unclamping your tounge
Regards

stuart

Quote from: Petrus on February 28, 2020, 19:35
Quote from: Carolyn on February 28, 2020, 18:51I've been following this thread and biting my tongue a

Spot on.

Very much like the soúnd of the exhaust: Who cares how it sounds to onlookers? It´s how it sounds while driving that matters! and with road holding it´s that to the power of it.

Now the caveat is that if you never drive the car like you stole it, 17" will be fine and yes, they do look more modern ;-)

Thanks for your help

stuart

Quote from: Bernie on February 28, 2020, 16:04

Thanks

Thanks for your help

Petrus

Stuart, apart from anything there is an objective criterium; the weight of the wheel.

Befóre you decide on anything, try to find out the weight of a 17" set with the possible wider tyres you would like.
Compare that with the OEM set and draw your own! conclusion, whether that is an issue for yoú. I spent a ´silly´ amount on líghter wheels ;-) but then I also cut down the OEM springs a bit and have a silly big wing mounted :-) oh and a tsurikawa :-O

If you decide on 17" or 16 and 17, and Rota would happen to have a style you like, then the brand is a value for money choice.

stuart

Thanks for your constructive reply . I actually had a set of lenso d1r 17 inch rims which were light weight but sold them because I couldn't make up my mind and didn't want to go to the expense of putting tyres on ..it's probably going to be the rota grid 16"all round with different tyre widths...or just the original ones refurbished..
Regards

Tags: