Good evening

Started by stuart, February 27, 2020, 21:44

Petrus

Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 20:36Thanks for your constructive reply . I actually had a set of lenso d1r 17 inch rims which were light weight but sold them because I couldn't make up my mind and didn't want to go to the expense of putting tyres on ..it's probably going to be the rota grid 16"all round with different tyre widths...or just the original ones refurbished..
Regards

The OEM ones are véry good quality and quite light already. Not the worst of choices. Since you don´t drive it like Hamilton as you say, cutting only half a coil off is not going to upset the roadholding nor drop the car on the floor yet would fill the arches júst that bit better. It can even be done with the spings still mounted. A bit of a faff but way less to the disassembling the lot.

shnazzle

Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 19:43
Quote from: Carolyn on February 28, 2020, 18:51I've been following this thread and biting my tongue a little. I do think it's generally agreed, that for everyday road use, the standard suspension and wheel set-up is as good as it gets.

As I pointed out to Shnazzle while we were working on his lowered car (he has BC adjustable struts) that you can't see the outside of the car while you're driving it!!

All of these cars are getting a little long in the tooth, and a refresh of the stock suspension works wonders.

To me these silly little cars are about driving fun more than anything, and I don't really care about 'looks'.

My vote is refurbish what you've got and spend the savings on new shocks and a-arms. ;D

Yes well thanks for your odd comments..I don't really think of my car as being"silly" I quite like it that's why I kept it..I like the look of it and as it's only done 21000 miles from new and always always over serviced it's never used any oil/ coolant etc...used for summer runs only so I don't rate it as (long in the tooth)..and I don't intend lowering it as I can hardly get over the speed humps in our area now...yes I am probably just looking to asthetically improving the wheels only...but as I'm not Lewis Hamilton and never will be I'm fine with that thanks...if I want to get an adrenaline rush I go out on my Kawasaki z1000..but I appreciate you unclamping your tounge
Regards
I'm midway the two.

They are silly little cars, but we love them. They're just a laugh. And they are old so finding one that isn't worn and long in the tooth in some way is very rare, so restoration is a very valid suggestion.
If aesthetics is key, then absolutely consider the 17s spec I posted. They're absolutely grand for pootling about but handle a feisty drive fine.
I went for good-looking wheels, in stock 15/16, with more offset to "fill the arches". Along with the lowering I think it looks perfect. But has its downsides.

You never know when a suggestion might take your fancy. We're just trying to  cover all based based on years and years of goods and bads we've seen here.
...neutiquam erro.

stuart

Sorry I obviously didn't make it clear when I said front wheel doesn't fill the arch..I meant rim wise as in diameter not the actual width of the wheel...my bad

Gaz mr-s

I don't have a handy pic, but I have the Rota Grid's (I think) as Bernie's car is pictured above. 15" front 16" rear as previously said.

I may have bought from Demon Tweeks too....& they have 20% via ebay until midnight....

Can a wheelarch be filled with a taller wheel?  Higher profile tyre I can understand.
If the car is lowered at all & the wheels spaced out (the ones I have are thin) both of those will improve the visual effect.

The Rota front wheels don't come in the o/e width (6j I think), but 6.5.  And they are heavier than o/e.

Call the midlife!

Evening Stuart and welcome if I've not already said it, you've probably already realised we're a very mixed bag on here but at the end of the day we all respect the "your car, your rules" idiom.
Some are all out traditionalists, some have won many prizes for the near concourse standard of presentation, one has even won a well deserved and equally well received award for pointless bling.
But at the end of the day we all generally want members to have the best version of THEIR car possible, even if we don't all agree with what that is.
I've personally had some amazing help from members who've outright told me I'm destroying my car but at the same time made sure I had all the help and advice possible to do it.
I can't argue with that.
I can't personally speak about 17s as I'm PFL standards but I respect the knowledge and opinions already given, I'd still probably try them out for myself though, just to be sure 😂
Buy some, try some, just don't skimp on the rubber, if you don't like them there's always a market for them later.
60% of the time it works everytime...

SV-3

Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 17:09
Quote from: SV-3 on February 28, 2020, 16:05
Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 15:31Thanks for clarifying the situation..I wouldn't cut springs down to size not recommended at all .on the topic of different manufacturers wheels I have looked at that option however most manufacturers don't or won't supply staggered sizes as the originals...well not in my choices any way perhaps you would be kind enough to post a picture of your car ... thanks for your comments
Hi Stuart
Lowered c/w stock wheels...

That's really nice...iv found these with staggered tyre sizes..in 16" I'd appreciate your comments thanks

https://m.rimstyle.com/pages/basket/
Hi Stuart
I've only owned my Mk3 for about 6 months so my experience of non OEM wheel/tyre alternatives for our cars is zero.
Reading back through your very early posts shows that you were considering changing your wheels back then, but didn't, and have enjoyed many years of driving with the OEM fitments.
However, I have owned a Mk1 for twenty years, and my policy has always been to keep that car unmodified - and that is a policy I intend to follow with the Mk3 - hence "Stock Cubed". ;)
The Rota wheels look fine, but they don't carry a Toyota badge, and so for me that's a non starter. Indeed, even a wheel refurb, for me, would have to be to Toyota "specification".
Please don't misunderstand me - I really enjoy seeing and reading about all the differing paths the "Forumites" have followed with their cars and as someone remarked recently it would be pretty boring if we all ran Stock or Track cars with nothing in between.
Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

stuart

Thanks for your constructive feedback I'm torn between refurbishment of the originals or this set up as I think the 16 inch rim will fill out the arch diameter wise with the difference between the front and rear tyre widths maintaining a stagger similar to stock I haven't found a weight comparison site yet but still looking..the set up below doesn't alter the Speedo reading at all but it looses 4.5 mm arch gap on the rear and 14.5 mm arch gap on the front

Set of 4
16" Rota Grid Wheels + Nexen N'Fera SU1 Tyres
(Tyres are fitted & balanced)
Details | Upgrades
Product Details:
4x 16" Rota Grid Alloy Wheels
(Wheel Specs: 16 x 7.0" 4x100 ET40 All Round)
2x 195/45R16 Nexen N'Fera SU1 Tyres
(Tyre Specs: 195/45R16 84W XL FRONT)
2x 225/45R16 Nexen N'Fera SU1 Tyres
(Tyre Specs: 225/45R16 93W XL REAR)

stuart

Quote from: SV-3 on February 28, 2020, 22:01
Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 17:09
Quote from: SV-3 on February 28, 2020, 16:05
Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 15:31Thanks for clarifying the situation..I wouldn't cut springs down to size not recommended at all .on the topic of different manufacturers wheels I have looked at that option however most manufacturers don't or won't supply staggered sizes as the originals...well not in my choices any way perhaps you would be kind enough to post a picture of your car ... thanks for your comments
Hi Stuart
Lowered c/w stock wheels...

That's really nice...iv found these with staggered tyre sizes..in 16" I'd appreciate your comments thanks

https://m.rimstyle.com/pages/basket/
Hi Stuart
I've only owned my Mk3 for about 6 months so my experience of non OEM wheel/tyre alternatives for our cars is zero.
Reading back through your very early posts shows that you were considering changing your wheels back then, but didn't, and have enjoyed many years of driving with the OEM fitments.
However, I have owned a Mk1 for twenty years, and my policy has always been to keep that car unmodified - and that is a policy I intend to follow with the Mk3 - hence "Stock Cubed". ;)
The Rota wheels look fine, but they don't carry a Toyota badge, and so for me that's a non starter. Indeed, even a wheel refurb, for me, would have to be to Toyota "specification".
Please don't misunderstand me - I really enjoy seeing and reading about all the differing paths the "Forumites" have followed with their cars and as someone remarked recently it would be pretty boring if we all ran Stock or Track cars with nothing in between.
Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

I understand your point of view I'd always keep the stock wheels and if I do get them refurbished it would be stock colour...I'm nearly finished restoration of my Kawasaki 900z1 Iv owned since 1978 and believe me I TOTALLY understand the obsession with originalaty lol
Regards

Bernie

If you are considering 16" all round my current TTE spec is
Back 225x40x16
Front 205x45x16

You cannot view this attachment.
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

stuart

Thanks Bernie ..that's useful a black car like mine with 16 inch wheels on..and it fills the arch at the front just as I was looking for.. thanks again for your reply

Chilli Girl

Quote from: Bernie on February 28, 2020, 22:18If you are considering 16" all round my current TTE spec is
Back 225x40x16
Front 205x45x16

You cannot view this attachment.

I know where that pic was taken Bernie.  No, not difficult is it?  Stop chit chatting Jane, will you ever learn.  I'll get my coat, need it on a night like this.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

@stuart

I will not dis-agree with anything posted earlier.

As a newbie with 35 posts as of 28/2 @23:04, you may not have quiet aligned with the club- forum ethos and banter.

We LOVE these cars and want nothing more than new owners to enjoy them as much as they can, as soon as they can.
"silly little car" is a mere colloquial term used by a very highly regarded and knowledgeable enthusiast.

It is in now way, a put down, to you or your 2. It is a term of endearment.
This is not some vile cess pit of a forum, that you might find elsewhere.

We want the best for you and your 2. That you are best informed to make the decision that you make.
If your desire/need/requirement is to fill the arches with 17s, Go for it.
I freely acknowledge as those above, the 2 on 17s "looks" the dogs bollox and some swear by them.
I am on stock FL setup but looking to go for a PFL set up of 15 all round.
I had a 2 on 17s. Looked great. But for me it never felt right.
My usual analogy is, a2 on 17s is like a 5 year old trying to walk in their Mams/dads heels.
If looks alone are your priority. Go get em!

Each to their own. that is the beauty of the 2. Exclusivity.
Look up Ding Day in the events section, this is our national day. As many 2s in one place as you are ever likely to see.

And yet, no 2 2s are the same.

You are  member of a quiet exclusive club. I saw 3 expensive porsche cars in the space of a red light. Zero exclusivity.
Exclusive prices are exclusive of exclusivity.

I hope this post as others above have intended, has come across as supportive.

We all want the best for you and your 2, however that may manifest itself.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: stuart on February 28, 2020, 22:50Thanks Bernie ..that's useful a black car like mine with 16 inch wheels on..and it fills the arch at the front just as I was looking for.. thanks again for your reply

It's also lowered 30mm.

H1GRM

Hi Stuart,

Just joining in.

You have caused a spirited debate which is surely one of the good things about the forum. Anyway have a look at my pics in Reader Rides "The Green Goddess". I went from 17" SP alloys to the very wheels that Bernie sold, via Ardent and then had them completely refurbed with a colour change.

Not every one is complimentary but as Jase says "I like them" on my "silly little car" which incidentally gives me loads of pleasure, a rare thing in current motoring conditions, road users etc.
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Petrus

As taste goes, I think the OEM wheels suit the car very well even though they are a bit vanilla for my taste.

I would have lóved a bright red set of Volk CE28 but those are made from unobtanium so went for my second choice, the silver Enkei RPF1. Imo they transorm the car; they look way more serious.

This observed, I would have stuck with the OEM wheels if it was not for my weight reduction obsession  O:-) ... and yes they dó make a notable difference ÍF you flog it.

stuart

Iv had the originals refurbished.. looking good

Tags: