Home made heat shield

Started by Smithy, March 9, 2020, 21:59

Smithy

I'm going to try and make a little heat shield to cover the exhaust heat shield. It's only for the look really just to neaten it up. I can see some of you have done this before,any tips?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Petrus

Quote from: Smithy on March  9, 2020, 21:59I'm going to try and make a little heat shield to cover the exhaust heat shield. It's only for the look really just to neaten it up. I can see some of you have done this before,any tips?

Have you though of neatening up the OEM shield?
Give it a polish, have it chromed or paint it heat resistant black and sand the warning? Per example? Or simply just polish it?!

Ardent

shiny

Smithy

Sorry guys I was thinking further back in the engine bay. like Bernie has done here.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

shnazzle

I got Bernie's cast-offs :)
Quite pleased with it. I did away with the oem heat shield

You cannot view this attachment.
...neutiquam erro.

Smithy

That looks good, very neat and tidy.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on March 10, 2020, 09:20I got Bernie's cast-offs :)

Red and blue, just as things should be...👍🏻
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 10, 2020, 17:45

Learned from the best. Too bad my big red intake is no longer there :)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on March 10, 2020, 17:46
Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 10, 2020, 17:45

Learned from the best. Too bad my big red intake is no longer there :)
Do it, you know it makes sense...

Smithy

What is the blue pipe mid picture just left of header please?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Smithy on March 10, 2020, 17:56What is the blue pipe mid picture just left of header please?
It's not a pipe, it's a motorcycle handlebar damper. Sits between mounts on the block and the rear frame and steadies the engine under load on acceleration.

Joesson

Similar is sometimes used on transverse engines on front wheel drive cars.iirc @ Carolyn made up or advised on a kit of parts for this a little while back.

Smithy

I see you have gone for a unwrapped mani too. Any issues there?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

shnazzle

Quote from: Smithy on March 10, 2020, 18:54

I see you have gone for a unwrapped mani too. Any issues there?
None at all. But it is getting wrapped once I can be bothered to rip it off. 

But no. No hot engine bay or high intake temps
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: Smithy on March 10, 2020, 17:56What is the blue pipe mid picture just left of header please?

Akin eBay item number 273553615388

househead

Quote from: Petrus on March 10, 2020, 21:06

Ooh, more info please! Is it any good?

I get a lot of cabin shake from engine at low revs. Would this help?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on March 10, 2020, 23:22

Most certainly not haha. 

If anything it adds vibration as you're adding another firm link between your vibrating engine and the shell. But, it's certainly it something I've even noticed. And even if I did, it's worth it! 
Have a look for the associated thread Carolyn started. Perhaps she can point you at it? I can't find it at the minute.
...neutiquam erro.

househead

Quote from: shnazzle on March 10, 2020, 23:35

Most certainly not haha.

If anything it adds vibration as you're adding another firm link between your vibrating engine and the shell. But, it's certainly it something I've even noticed. And even if I did, it's worth it!
Have a look for the associated thread Carolyn started. Perhaps she can point you at it? I can't find it at the minute.

Ah. I've misunderstood what it is. They call it a damper and say it reduces vibrations, but yea if it is stiff then I can't see that helping, but I will have a look for that thread.

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on March 11, 2020, 00:13
Quote from: shnazzle on March 10, 2020, 23:35

Most certainly not haha.

Ah. I've misunderstood what it is. They call it a damper and say it reduces vibrations, but yea if it is stiff then I can't see that helping, but I will have a look for that thread.
It is a damper in the sense that it dampens the vibrations when it stops 150kg of metal swaying around your engine bay :)
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on March 11, 2020, 00:19It is a damper in the sense that it dampens the vibrations when it stops 150kg of metal swaying around your engine bay :)

Any reciprocal movement is a vibration, even if it is a shake; just a lower frequency.
In this case the rubber ´brace´ limits both the amplitude and frequency.

It is quite noticeable.

househead

The idea of a damper is to *absorb* (and dissipate) forces. If its function is actually to brace the engine and reduce transmission of forces into the engine mounts (and other things attached to the engine) in order to reduce loss to torque, then maybe "brace" is a better term than "damper"?

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on March 11, 2020, 11:18The idea of a damper is to *absorb* (and dissipate) forces. If its function is actually to brace the engine and reduce transmission of forces into the engine mounts (and other things attached to the engine) in order to reduce loss to torque, then maybe "brace" is a better term than "damper"?
It's both. But this is off topic so I'll say this and then move the discussion to the original topic.

Yes it's a brace. It ties the block to the body to stop it swaying on acceleration and shifts. It makes shifts much smoother and acceleration less stuttery and more direct. Very very very noticeably. 
But, if yoy just put a solid rod in, the vibrations would drive you nuts. So there is a bit of a damping effect in that "brace" to stop higher frequency vibrations while also stopping big wallops on heavy up/downshifts.
...neutiquam erro.

househead

Thanks @shnazzle . Apologies to OP @Smithy for taking/keeping us OT!

Smithy

No problem at all. I asked the question initially 
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Tags: